It's gone, but is it somewhere else?

BlazeStryker

SkyBirds. Many of us love it, Many of us had it. I did purge to unclutter my new build and have discovered it's no longer at the Nexus, probably for the reasons we all know so well. My question is; is it truly dead, or somewhere else like, say, Open Cities? If found, I'm pretty sure we'd all love to link to it.

This is why I keep copies of every mod I download.  I only download a mod once.  I have folders on a separate hard drive where I archive all of my downloaded mods.  I burn them onto CDs when the drive gets full.  I even keep multiple older versions of mods in case a newer version has issues or is not to my liking.  

I learned to do this years ago when mod download sites like Morrowindfiles and Euro-Morrowind ceased operations.  I tear apart and rebuild my mod lists for each character I play, so it is very handy to have mods easily and quickly available.  :)

• Like 2

I've learned the hard way to keep copies of everything on external HD. After nearly losing all my stuff on an HD failure. It's a good practice to get into following and storage devices are so cheap these days.

• Like 2

I hear you, brother. Of course, MY recent issue caused me to have to re-enable, empty, and utilize Dropbox while it tried hard to get me to upgrade...

Backups, backups, and more backups!

If the data is even slightly important to you and you don't want to lose it, back it up. I myself learned this lesson in the hardest possible way years ago when I lost 8 months worth of information from a site because I was being lazy about keeping backups. It could have been worse. Were it not for a drive swap that took place at the 8 month mark, it would have been several YEARS worth of information and would have been the death of the site.

If the data you're looking to keep is something you can't afford to lose, multiple backups. Perhaps even using a cloud service you can trust. No reason that data can't be mods you've downloaded to use over the years. Even with the best of conditions, mods disappear from the internet all the time. It doesn't take a Nexus level event for them to vanish forever.

• Like 2

Remember, Murphy was an optimists.  OFFSITE backups are the only way to go.  A backup is no good if it burns in the same fire which destroys your data. 

If a fire destroys my data as it is currently handled, it will have destroyed my PC, all my belongings, my home, and possibly even taken my life. I don't think my mods will be terribly important under those conditions.

11 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

If a fire destroys my data as it is currently handled, it will have destroyed my PC, all my belongings, my home, and possibly even taken my life. I don't think my mods will be terribly important under those conditions.

People will complain if your death results in them being unavailable.

Offsite and on-site backup - the data centre and your PC could both be killed by power surges within days of each other, but the airgapped drive is safe.

17 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Please, do not go away in such a horrific manner.  You are an important inspiration to many people. 

When you survive and begin putting your life back together, eventually you will rise above the bottom two or three rungs of Maslow's Hierarchy.  At that point, the mods may indeed rise in importance once again.  At that point, a backup with updates and fixes is preferable to downloading your latest published version from a hosting site.  

Well let's put it another way. As I'm fleeing the burning building, I can't take the PC with me, but I may be able to pocket the external drive on the way out the window. But if I'm not in that room, don't count on it. And certainly don't count on my looking down from the great beyond lamenting that nobody has a backup of my stuff :P

• 5 months later...

I hear this all the time in the Tech channels:

3, 2, 1.

3 copies

2 different storage mediums, at least

1 copy off-site, at least.

Which reminds me, I need to update some copies. :innocent: