Concentrated Fire damage bonus

VaultDuke

After some quick tests I am a bit confused about Conentrated fire's damage bonus (+15%/20% Damage in VATS for Perk rank 2 and 3).

When lining up the shots it looks like an ever increasing damage bonus, probably 1.15/1.2^n, (where n is the number of shots-1).

Once the sequence starts however, it feels like it is either only a one time increase, or doesn't work at all.

Since I don't know how to dive deeper into the respective entry point, I could not verify yet, what exactly I am seeing here and whether this is a legit bug or I'm just turing crazy.

Does anyone else have experience with it or has observed oddities with the Conentrated fire damage bonus, too?

After some more quantitative tests (thank you Brotherhood Paladin-Commander guarding the Boston airport), I can report, that the damage increase works and is consistent with the shown damage during the line-up of the shots (minus some rounding errors/minor perk effects it would seem).

I killed the commander with headshots under different conditions

1) No Concentrated fire -> 13 shots till dead. Healthpool closer to 12 shots (with a few pixels remaining after the 12th)

2) Concentrated fire rank 2 -> 11 shots toll dead, Healthpool ~ 10.5 shots big

3) Concentrated fire rank 3 -> 10 shots till dead

each test was repeated at least 3 times.

-> Conclusion: The damage effect works, it is a one-time increase however and does not become stronger with consecutive shots.

Imho this is intended behavior and the description of the perk rank 3 is chosen to distinguish between 'gaining accuracy' and 'doing more damage', though arguably, it is not very clearly worded.

"In V.A.T.S. every attack on the same body part gains +20% accuracy and does 20% more damage"

I'm not sure how this could be worded more clearly in the rank 3 description, but minimum I think the rank 2 description should be changed to read:

In V.A.T.S. every attack on the same body part does 15% more damage.

Tracker Entry