Diablo 2 Resurrection

Talyn82

Anyone here tried this yet.  I bought it yesterday, since I never played the original D2.  I did play the original D1 on the first Playstation, and I do remember liking the background lore.  I also played D3, but not it's expansion.  Over the years I've heard how great D2 was and how fun the Necromancer class was.  So that is the character I am, Xul the Necromancer.  I have read and seen videos prior to buying the game about the controversy around the way the characters look.  I've seen how they looked in the original and agree they look like they've aged along with the fanbase.  But I guess since I never played the original D2 it doesn't bother me.  Anyway so far no bugs or graphical glitches that I've seen.

Oh yeah and since I remember the ending for D1, I have a feeling I know who the mysterious wanderer is.

• Like 2

Loved D1 and D2.  Never played D3 as I just didn't like the art style nor the classes.

I am considering getting D2R, but my favorite class was always the Amazon as I love playing an archer, and well, yeah she looks like my old math teacher from high school and I never liked that guy.  I also really wish they could have put it on STEAM.  Really hate to have to reactivate my old bliz.net account.

But I've been watching some vids also and like what I see.  I may get it for my Switch since I've been looking for something to play on that anyway, though I really need to see some Switch game-play before doing that.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Loved D1 and D2.  Never played D3 as I just didn't like the art style nor the classes.

I am considering getting D2R, but my favorite class was always the Amazon as I love playing an archer, and well, yeah she looks like my old math teacher from high school and I never liked that guy.  I also really wish they could have put it on STEAM.  Really hate to have to reactivate my old bliz.net account.

But I've been watching some vids also and like what I see.  I may get it for my Switch since I've been looking for something to play on that anyway, though I really need to see some Switch game-play before doing that.

I've seen how the Amazon originally was redesigned for D2R, and agree she looked like a man in cosplaying as the Amazon.  But I have not looked at her model in game, but I heard in a video they updated her looks.  The Necromancer and the Druid look like they've really aged 20 years.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Talyn82 said:

I've seen how the Amazon originally was redesigned for D2R, and agree she looked like a man in cosplaying as the Amazon.  But I have not looked at her model in game, but I heard in a video they updated her looks.  The Necromancer and the Druid look like they've really aged 20 years.  

Yeah I've seen that also, but still like the original better.  But in game you don't have a lot of time to notice anyway I suppose.

The updated cut scenes are REALLY nice though.  But Bliz has always done good cut scenes.  Even in the old days, this is still one of my favorites:  

• Like 2

RE: Talyn82 and LeBurns commentary on Diablo...

Greetings dear friends:highfive:

My first experience with Diablo was watching my son play D1.  I wasn't overly impressed with the first game and never played it myself.  I didn't like that each bit of gold took up an inventory slot.  There were too many skeleton enemies and other things I didn't like.  My son still swears it's the best.  I liked the idea of the game, just had issue with a few things...

So, when I saw a boxed set of Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack included and the game manual... well, I pounced on it!  Hahaha :lmao:  I was instantly hooked, just like I was with Fallout and F2.  I still have not played D1.  But, I still play D2 on rare occasion... like when the internet goes down... hahaha:rofl:  I still have D2 installed with LoD expansion fully installed from those original discs.  So, it's always ready to go.  I've played literally tens of thousands of hours of D2.  So, I guess you could say that I'm familiar with the original game. haha:lmao:

Diablo 3 was not released on PC, more's the pity.  So, Phat broke down and bought a PS3.  I played several thousand hours of D3 on PS3.  I still hate console format.  If you've played much PS3, you know why.  It's a bug ridden mess!  There were only two games that ever played right on PS3 for me, Diablo 3 and Fallout 3.  New Vegas bugged out and SSE was a mess.  But, I played mostly D3 on PS3 until my son gave me a copy of SSE for Christmas 2017.  The rest is history...

D2R... what a waste of time, energy and resources!  IMHO, they f***ed up a great game!  The more of the "improved" animations and character models that I see, the more I'm left SMH... hard!  Like... total Napalm Face Palm!:facepalm:  I have about the same amount of interest in D2R as I did for the Command and Conquer reboot.  I still have my original discs for that game as well.  Regurgitating old games shows the utter lack of creativity endemic to the major gaming studios at the present time.  Also, the fact that Activision/Blizzard thought they needed to dress down the sensuality in the character models and overall tone of the game just tells me they totally missed the point of Diablo games in the first place.  IMHO, they just made everything look far more evil, grotesque and hideous.  Likely needless to say at this point... But, I will not be buying a copy of D2R.  The original D2 still stands up to my personal test of greatness.  It did not need to be remade, especially not at the cost of the sensual elements.  If anything, it should've gone even further over the top in that aspect with realistic and graphic character representations.  Diablo has always been an adult title, a very hard core adult title.  They have been making an effort to be less adult with each subsequent title in the franchise, starting with D3.  

I no longer have my PS3.  I only game on PC now... again.  I'm still waiting on the next great Blizzard title since D3.  I'm still waiting for the next great Fallout title beyond New Vegas.  Fallout 4 took well over 200 mods to make it playable by my standards.  And, I'm still awaiting the next great Elder Scrolls title beyond Skyrim...  It's starting to feel like a "wish in one hand and spit in the other to see which fills up first" type of scenario... just a lot of spit...  

Meanwhile... I'm still playing SSE:wub: 

Adventure ever on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  Here's a few recent images...  Enjoy:run:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

Regurgitating old games shows the utter lack of creativity endemic to the major gaming studios at the present time. 

I don't blame the gaming studios.  I blame the consumers.  We live in an age that does not value artistic innovation.  The vast majority of consumers these days want safe, familiar entertainment.  You will see far more posts on gaming forums begging for remasters and remakes of old games than you will see begging for new games.   In Bethesda's own forums and Discord we have seen more posts wanting remasters of New Vegas, Fallout 3 and older Elder Scrolls games than wanting Starfield or TES VI.  

It's the same in the movie industry.  The vast majority of moviegoers do not want new, challenging films.  They want the latest remake of a reboot of a remake of a reboot of Spiderman.  They want sequels, prequels, film versions of old TV shows and cartoons and even reboots of film versions of TV shows and cartoons.  The movie studios aren't to blame for this.  The people who buy tickets are to blame.  We live in a conservative cultural climate and the people who produce our art and entertainment are merely catering to current consumer demand. 

Many people get economics backward.  When they don't like a product they blame the company that made the product. This is wrong. Businesses do not drive markets; consumers drive markets.  When we buy a product we are telling a company to make more of that product.  If we do not like the product a business is producing we need to criticize the people who buy the product.  If consumers did not buy the product the business would not produce it.  

At any rate, this is how I see it.  :)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I don't blame the gaming studios.  I blame the consumers.  We live in an age that does not value artistic innovation.  The vast majority of consumers these days want safe, familiar entertainment.  You will see far more posts on gaming forums begging for remasters and remakes of old games than you will see begging for new games.   In Bethesda's own forums and Discord we have seen more posts wanting remasters of New Vegas, Fallout 3 and older Elder Scrolls games than wanting Starfield or TES VI.  

SNIP

I don't blame the actual consumers, I blame those that never played the series, would never buy and play the game anyway, but need to have a feeling of self righteousness by saying an adult game is too  sensual.  And I blame the devs for listening to these people instead of those that actually buy and play their games.

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

RE: Talyn82 and LeBurns commentary on Diablo...

Greetings dear friends:highfive:

My first experience with Diablo was watching my son play D1.  I wasn't overly impressed with the first game and never played it myself.  I didn't like that each bit of gold took up an inventory slot.  There were too many skeleton enemies and other things I didn't like.  My son still swears it's the best.  I liked the idea of the game, just had issue with a few things...

So, when I saw a boxed set of Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack included and the game manual... well, I pounced on it!  Hahaha :lmao:  I was instantly hooked, just like I was with Fallout and F2.  I still have not played D1.  But, I still play D2 on rare occasion... like when the internet goes down... hahaha:rofl:  I still have D2 installed with LoD expansion fully installed from those original discs.  So, it's always ready to go.  I've played literally tens of thousands of hours of D2.  So, I guess you could say that I'm familiar with the original game. haha:lmao:

Diablo 3 was not released on PC, more's the pity.  So, Phat broke down and bought a PS3.  I played several thousand hours of D3 on PS3.  I still hate console format.  If you've played much PS3, you know why.  It's a bug ridden mess!  There were only two games that ever played right on PS3 for me, Diablo 3 and Fallout 3.  New Vegas bugged out and SSE was a mess.  But, I played mostly D3 on PS3 until my son gave me a copy of SSE for Christmas 2017.  The rest is history...

D2R... what a waste of time, energy and resources!  IMHO, they f***ed up a great game!  The more of the "improved" animations and character models that I see, the more I'm left SMH... hard!  Like... total Napalm Face Palm!:facepalm:  I have about the same amount of interest in D2R as I did for the Command and Conquer reboot.  I still have my original discs for that game as well.  Regurgitating old games shows the utter lack of creativity endemic to the major gaming studios at the present time.  Also, the fact that Activision/Blizzard thought they needed to dress down the sensuality in the character models and overall tone of the game just tells me they totally missed the point of Diablo games in the first place.  IMHO, they just made everything look far more evil, grotesque and hideous.  Likely needless to say at this point... But, I will not be buying a copy of D2R.  The original D2 still stands up to my personal test of greatness.  It did not need to be remade, especially not at the cost of the sensual elements.  If anything, it should've gone even further over the top in that aspect with realistic and graphic character representations.  Diablo has always been an adult title, a very hard core adult title.  They have been making an effort to be less adult with each subsequent title in the franchise, starting with D3.  

I no longer have my PS3.  I only game on PC now... again.  I'm still waiting on the next great Blizzard title since D3.  I'm still waiting for the next great Fallout title beyond New Vegas.  Fallout 4 took well over 200 mods to make it playable by my standards.  And, I'm still awaiting the next great Elder Scrolls title beyond Skyrim...  It's starting to feel like a "wish in one hand and spit in the other to see which fills up first" type of scenario... just a lot of spit...  

Meanwhile... I'm still playing SSE:wub: 

Adventure ever on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  Here's a few recent images...  Enjoy:run:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Can't believe you added all that smut in the thread.

As far as D2R, I'm not sure the removal of the cheesecake is enough reason to make me not get it.  If the gameplay is the same, the graphics updated, etc., that's fine with me.  I'm sure I'll end up not getting it though for no other reason that I don't want to deal with Bliz.net again.  So if it ever goes on STEAM I'll add it to my wish list and buy it on the next sale.  Otherwise I've got other things to play.  Well, actually I just spent the last few hours playing Skyrim, so what I have is old games to play, though I may buy Medieval Dynasty before it's sale ends.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Can't believe you added all that smut in the thread.

As far as D2R

Hahahaha:rofl:

And, here I thought I was leaving all the smut out!  Hahaha:rofl:

Giggle:run:LOL:lmao:

As one who's played an immense amount of D2, I highly recommend it regardless of the format.  The story and ongoing challenge are what make Diablo 2 a great game.  It is exceptionally well written.  I've replayed it more times than I can count because the challenge level increases each and every time you beat it going from normal to nightmare to hell to inferno...  Yeah... it's a great game with an ongoing challenge.  The challenge is what makes it so incredibly replay-able.  It's pretty damned hard to find an original disc like mine now.  So, D2R is the current way to get the game.  I still highly recommend the game play.  It's just not something that I need to purchase again just for some graphics improvements and a few minor gameplay tweaks.  Hope that clarifies...

Adventure ever on brother, Phat:blackhand: 

PS:  I really thought I had left all the smut out... still not sure what you mean there...  Haha:lmao: Cheers!:beer:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I don't want to deal with Bliz.net again.

That's what has kept me from purchasing a PC copy of D3.  

Also, apologies if my earlier sarcasm came across as bitterness.  That was not my intent.  :beer:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I don't blame the actual consumers, I blame those that never played the series, would never buy and play the game anyway, but need to have a feeling of self righteousness by saying an adult game is too  sensual.  And I blame the devs for listening to these people instead of those that actually buy and play their games.

Agreed...:facepalm:  Those types give me the napalm face palm something fierce!:facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

It's the same in the movie industry.  The vast majority of moviegoers do not want new, challenging films.  They want the latest remake of a reboot of a remake of a reboot of Spiderman.  They want sequels, prequels, film versions of old TV shows and cartoons and even reboots of film versions of TV shows and cartoons.  The movie studios aren't to blame for this.  The people who buy tickets are to blame.  We live in a conservative cultural climate and the people who produce our art and entertainment are merely catering to current consumer demand. 

Many people get economics backward.  When they don't like a product they blame the company that made the product. This is wrong. Businesses do not drive markets; consumers drive markets.  When we buy a product we are telling a company to make more of that product.  If we do not like the product a business is producing we need to criticize the people who buy the product.  If consumers did not buy the product the business would not produce it.  

At any rate, this is how I see it.  :)

Can't say I disagree...  People are sheep...  Sheep are intensely dumb critters!  Hahaha:rofl::run:

We all value some kind of artistic innovation- , there isn't so much of it in hack & slash for everyone's taste. Playing a musical instrument is a bit different- how soon the novelty wears off!

• Like 1

I am still interested in the game but refuse (for a while now) to buy a game at full price/release again. I will wait for a sale in a few months and until i get my hands on a Series X. I think my old xbone will die in the near future. And i have to get more information about the game, especially if there is a offline mode on console. I still have the old Diablo 2 on a crappy pc with some other old games but hardly play on that anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rotzi said:

I am still interested in the game but refuse (for a while now) to buy a game at full price/release again. I will wait for a sale in a few months and until i get my hands on a Series X. I think my old xbone will die in the near future. And i have to get more information about the game, especially if there is a offline mode on console. I still have the old Diablo 2 on a crappy pc with some other old games but hardly play on that anymore.

The console version should come with an offline mode.  I'm on PC and play offline, so it should be the same with consoles.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

The console version should come with an offline mode.  I'm on PC and play offline, so it should be the same with consoles.

Wouldn't that just make sense? One of those little irritations.

^ That's amazing Sah and in mint condition too!  Are you sure it's not for sale?  Years ago I bought the Warcraft 3 battle chest, but sadly I gave into temptation and opened it.

6 hours ago, Sah said:

had to look for it, ... in mint condition too (not for sale)

diablo II battle chest.jpg

I've got one of those in a box in the garage.  I have all my old PC games boxed up.  I was considering pulling out all the old game boxes and framing them and hanging them in my son's old room.  Since he moved out I was going to turn the room into my own gaming room.  BUT, my wife turned it into a guest bedroom instead, so all my games are still in a box.  But some day ... maybe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I've got one of those in a box in the garage.  I have all my old PC games boxed up.  I was considering pulling out all the old game boxes and framing them and hanging them in my son's old room.  Since he moved out I was going to turn the room into my own gaming room.  BUT, my wife turned it into a guest bedroom instead, so all my games are still in a box.  But some day ... maybe.

Dang ... wife foils gaming room dreams, and for what a guest bedroom that might get used once or twice a year? :wallbash:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

Thanks for the info. :)

8 hours ago, Sah said:

Dang ... wife foils gaming room dreams, and for what a guest bedroom that might get used once or twice a year? :wallbash:

She does go in there when my snoring gets too loud, which give me a whole bed to myself.  So not a complete lost.  However my daughter should be moving out in a year or so, so I've got my sites on that room now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LeBurns said:

She does go in there when my snoring gets too loud, which give me a whole bed to myself.  So not a complete lost.  However my daughter should be moving out in a year or so, so I've got my sites on that room now.

"so I've got my sites on that room now"

just don't tell the wife! ;)