Anyone Know What This Is?

Gruffydd

Anyone know what this is?

I'm working on my mod update, in the Signs of the Times (vanilla) section, and came across a tall billboard that is just this logo at the bottom of a long orange tapestry-shaped field.

I have no idea what it represents in-game, so I'm at a loss as to what to name it. Google turned up nothing.

The original file is SetDressing/Signage/BillboardSmTall02_d

image.png.1d9024ca5cd1e96257785733279cb0ee.png

Boy Scouts?  Though they are not really mentioned much in FO4, other than the Scout's Life mags.  What's really throwing it off is that the bugler has no hat on.

My money is on this being a stylized version of any of an number of images of military personnel or civilians blowing the bugle.  If you do an internet search of "bugle, taps" you will see plenty of images showing buglers in this iconic pose. 

https://media1.picsearch.com/is?N1_XZrwq4ARaWtmB5t1rnY0vyJesEzEfEspGN9tsYjA&height=214

https://media5.picsearch.com/is?IJDvoAZu5S1YT0ktsOwyxRRInjTEQO8RTeIjqxQJC5g&height=200

Why is that particular image in Fallout 4?  Any answer I give would be pure speculation.  So on "Why", your guess is as valid as mine. 

1 hour ago, Gruffydd said:

I guess I'll just call it "trumpet". 

Not to be overly-pedantic, but it's more likely to be a bugle than a trumpet. :)

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

Do you know if it's used in game and if so where?

Nope, and nope. If I could figure out where it was in the game, I might have a clue what it is. Alas, no idea.

It's not the only image hidden away in the Textures folder that is hard to place, either. There are a fair number that I don't recognize from in the game itself, and then another batch that while I recognize don't appear to have a corresponding mesh. So adding some of these is a challenge (which is why I didn't 5 years ago when I first made the Signs of the Times mod, when I was just starting out and knew a lot less about the process).

42 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Not to be overly-pedantic, but it's more likely to be a bugle than a trumpet. :)

I originally thought he was actually using both arms, and thus that it was a trumpet (assuming arm 2 was for pressing the valves).

On looking closer, though, I think the thing that I thought was his left arm is a sash. It's hard to tell sometimes with some of the game's low-res images.

Call it trumpet or bugle.  Both are correct.  To be equally overly-pendantic, a bugle is a "trumpet".  A "trumpet" is any of a group of metallic instruments which are used to produce a sound-wave within a tubular structure and containing a "bell" at the end of the tube.  Trumpets date from over 3500 years ago and were used in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.  Tutankhamen even had trumpets among his burial goods. 

The modern "trumpet" with valves and tuning slide was first created in the late 1700s and was designed to overcome the shortcomings of single note trumpets.  The appropriation of the name "trumpet" to a single type of valved instruments occurred in the early to middle 1800s.  

The odd instrument (and continent) out is the Australian Aboriginal Didgeridoo.  The instrument produces a melodic tone by propagating a sound-wave through a tubular structure, but the instrument is made of wood and lacks the identifying bell.  So like a trumpet in many aspects, the instrument is not considered by musical authorities to be a trumpet. 

Or call it "Horn".   That's also correct, and will give you an indication of the origins of the instrument. 

Or ignore everyone and call it Horatio. 

9 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Call it trumpet or bugle.  Both are correct.  To be equally overly-pendantic, a bugle is a "trumpet".  A "trumpet" is any of a group of metallic instruments which are used to produce a sound-wave within a tubular structure and containing a "bell" at the end of the tube.  Trumpets date from over 3500 years ago and were used in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.  Tutankhamen even had trumpets among his burial goods. 

SNIP

Umm ... topologically speaking, a coffee cup and a wedding ring are the same thing.  But the image in discussion is one of a bugle.  ;)

2 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Umm ... topologically speaking, a coffee cup and a wedding ring are the same thing.  But the image in discussion is one of a bugle.  ;)

Absolutely.  But coffee cups and wedding rings are not musical instruments, but in this usage are simply tools to be used by those who wish to bully others while providing absolutely no useful information.  

Further, the practice of quoting material out of context is a tool to minimize and diminish the writings of others and turn their comments into something less than was said. 

But, not being a part of the "Bethesda.net Refugee" clique, I should expect no less from its members. 

My mistake was unblocking you and your pals, and thinking that intelligent, rational, reasoned and thoughtful communication was possible.  I have remedied that.  The block is back in place.

1 hour ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Absolutely.  But coffee cups and wedding rings are not musical instruments, but in this usage are simply tools to be used by those who wish to bully others while providing absolutely no useful information.  

Further, the practice of quoting material out of context is a tool to minimize and diminish the writings of others and turn their comments into something less than was said. 

But, not being a part of the "Bethesda.net Refugee" clique, I should expect no less from its members. 

My mistake was unblocking you and your pals, and thinking that intelligent, rational, reasoned and thoughtful communication was possible.  I have remedied that.  The block is back in place.

LOL.  Did you read your own post?  You literally did exactly what you are saying others did.  Must be great to be you.  LOL.

It is the logo for the Boston Bugle. A faded version of that sign is also found above the door of the Boston Bugle building.

23-9-2021-bostonbugle.jpg

Edited by Fenrus
Updated info.

10 minutes ago, Fenrus said:

It is the logo for the Boston Bugle. A faded version of that sign is also found above the door of the Boston Bugle building.

23-9-2021-bostonbugle.jpg

well done detective Fenrus. good piece of sleuthing.

I also posted a couple of pics in my gallery here where this sign can be found in the game. (North of the Vault-Tec building. Close to the river.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Tasheni said:

What's a bugle???

its a kind of trumpet without the valves or keys. often used historically to give battlefield commands and other military signals such as raising the flag at dawn (reveille) lowering the flag at sunset (Taps) and at military funerals as a salute over the grave of the fallen ( The Last Post).