Gamehour variable set to a negative number causing black screen

AscendedSleeper

I was going to post a bug report on the tracker but thought I'd post here first as I'm unsure of the conditions which actually cause the issue.

The issue (and fix) is discussed here (specifically post #11 on the 2nd page) but the TL;DR is that it's where the game randomly sets the gamehour variable to a negative number and upon transition to a new cell the view is pitch black but your avatar can still move.

I'm unsure whether it's a bug that exists in vanilla FO4 or whether it's caused by a mod.

Assuming it is a vanilla issue, does anyone know if it's an issue with the engine or whether it can be fixed via the CK?

Probably not what you want to hear, but the solution is simple - don't mess with the timescale. It's well known that setting it to extremely low values can cause problems and it's not considered a bug when you do something via the console that then breaks the game for you.

10 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Probably not what you want to hear, but the solution is simple - don't mess with the timescale. It's well known that setting it to extremely low values can cause problems and it's not considered a bug when you do something via the console that then breaks the game for you.

Would that include the time scale slider in I-Need I've been using it for a long time and it seems to work ok. It's lowest scale is 8 would you call that extremely low or not. this is in Skyrim SE not Fo4 though but I assume similar rules apply

Yes, it's never really a good idea to mess with the timescale at all, but if you're going to, don't ever take it below 10 because below 10 the game starts to get really screwy. I'd also not take it above 100 or so unless you're just testing something that requires the passage of time. Too fast and the engine will choke on all the events that triggers.

And yes, this applies to older games as well, all the way back to Oblivion.

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Yes, it's never really a good idea to mess with the timescale at all, but if you're going to, don't ever take it below 10 because below 10 the game starts to get really screwy. I'd also not take it above 100 or so unless you're just testing something that requires the passage of time. Too fast and the engine will choke on all the events that triggers.

And yes, this applies to older games as well, all the way back to Oblivion.

ok thanks for the info.

13 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I didn't touch the timescale or gamehour variables but I'm not ruling out that a mod I'm using didn't.  I couldn't tell from that thread whether the other users who have experienced the issue were also using mods, and I can't find much discussion of this issue elsewhere.  Hence why I asked whether it was a known vanilla issue.

Perhaps I'll have a poke around in xEdit.

The timescale value will not change unless a mod does it. It's incredibly rare to find one that alters it directly via a plugin file, it would be more expected to come up in a mod's scripting. xEdit cannot help you with finding a script that's changing the timescale.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh right well this issue might be affecting my game too (XB1S player).

I have set my timescale (via a Cheatroom option) to 13 and have played this way for a long time (several years) with no symptoms….until recently.

Now to be clear, I have added…and taken, a few mods in my LO….so…..

Well, anyway, what has started happening is sometimes…upon a fresh save load in, a black border begins creeping across from the left…its edge is uneven, not a straight vertical line.

I can still move, but if the creeping death overtakes me the entire screen ends up black…even though features like white action text to open a (blacked out) door still show up.  Entering the door will load a pristine interior….but going back outside will be into the blackness again.

If I run….in the visible bit of screen, before the blackness gets me…I can leave it behind.  But then…Turning around the view is normal and the creeping death has gone.

I thought it was GPU chip failure…like being cooked, but if that were the case it wouldn’t load a normal interior…the black death would be everywhere, right?

So….being associated with the loaded cell makes most sense.  But why now?  I am guessing a mod is at the root of it….especially since I have also recently had a few animation failures with wood chopping, not getting off a chair, not completing the pipe smoking ani and sometimes being stuck on a spot after dialogue (turning and camera are fine, but I can’t walk!).

Thoughts? (Other than stop monkeying with my LO Lol)

I also have had problems with wood chopping animation, when activating the block the log is pickt up then just stops. If I then look down and activate the block again the log gets chopped and fire wood is added to my invetry. It seems to have started since adding FINIS ot one of the other mods I added with it. Now here is the funny bit I also have a mod that adds craftable chopping blocks the animation for those blocks works as intended, so that is another possible culprit.

I do not wish to point fingers….but the only mod I recently added was ‘craftable Woodaxes’  because it promised the option of continuous chopping.

However, it has since failed after giving me the ‘book’ to control the settings only once…the book no longer shows up in inventory, plus, although it automatically does five successive chops without the book, they are only one Firewood each…therefore totalling just five pieces, which is even worse than vanilla’s 3 chops x 2 pieces per go.

I may just have to dump the mod….Or use it to light my fire

Adella

4 hours ago, Adella said:

I do not wish to point fingers….but the only mod I recently added was ‘craftable Woodaxes’  because it promised the option of continuous chopping.

However, it has since failed after giving me the ‘book’ to control the settings only once…the book no longer shows up in inventory, plus, although it automatically does five successive chops without the book, they are only one Firewood each…therefore totalling just five pieces, which is even worse than vanilla’s 3 chops x 2 pieces per go.

I may just have to dump the mod….Or use it to light my fire

Adella

come on baby...............................................................................................