Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Talyn82

Has anyone heard this news here that a remake of Knights of the Old Republic would be released on the PS5.  I've read on KOTOR Reddit that the game will be released on PC too, but all of the vids I've seen only mention PS5.  But anyway the original KOTOR games were Xbox exclusives that eventually were released on PC.  But anyway I don't know how to feel about it.  When I saw this brief trailer:

I felt indifferent not hopeful.

So what are your thoughts?

P.S.  For those who have played the originals please post no spoilers.  I know it's an old game but not everyone has played every game in existence.  This year I played the three Mass Effect games for the first time.  So their are those who have not played everything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

Has anyone heard this news here that a remake of Knights of the Old Republic would be released on the PS5.  I've read on KOTOR Reddit that the game will be released on PC too, but all of the vids I've seen only mention PS5.

https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

Announced at PlayStation Showcase 2021, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake will see the classic RPG return as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive at launch and for PC.

It's moderately interesting news, I suppose, but far too vague for me to get excited about.  We know nothing about how they plan to remake the game, which is information I need to know before I buy.  At any rate, a release probably won't be for another two years or more (the 20th anniversary would make marketing sense).  Until then, I'll confine my excitement to games I can actually play right now.  

2 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

It's moderately interesting news, I suppose, but far too vague for me to get excited about.  We know nothing about how they plan to remake the game, which is information I need to know before I buy.  At any rate, a release probably won't be for another two years or more (the 20th anniversary would make marketing sense).  Until then, I'll confine my excitement to games I can actually play right now.  

Exactly my point I am not excited either, and I know it is a few years away.  I just thought posting the news for those who have been waiting for a new KOTOR game.  For now I have plenty of games to keep me occupied.

7 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

I just thought posting the news for those who have been waiting for a new KOTOR game.  

Just to be clear, my remarks were not aimed at you in any way.  I think it's great that you're spreading the news.  I hope you didn't take offense.  My remarks were directed solely at the game itself.  :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Just to be clear, my remarks were not aimed at you in any way.  I think it's great that you're spreading the news.  I hope you didn't take offense.  My remarks were directed solely at the game itself.  :)

No I took no offense I was actually agreeing with you.  :)

3 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Apparently Sam Maggs is working on it, so no point in getting excited about it.  It's going to be crap.

I don't know who this person is in terms of work.  But I've been reading things that put her in a negative light.  But apparently she is not the lead writer so at least that's some good news.

A remake sounds great to me. I never have gotten around to playing the original and at this stage of things I'd rather be doing it with better graphics and such anyway. So it'll all be new to me. :P

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

A remake sounds great to me. I never have gotten around to playing the original and at this stage of things I'd rather be doing it with better graphics and such anyway. So it'll all be new to me. :P

If it's anything like the original storywise then you're in for a treat.  It has a memorable cast of characters and a memorable story.  It's classic Star Wars set 4000 years before the prequels. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:00 AM, Arthmoor said:

I personally consider the original KOTOR to be the best Star Wars story aside from the original three films. The extent to which the original BIOWARE team were able to channel Lucas' original vision was near-perfect.

I also think the game hold up, visually, because it's pre-bumb mapping etc. it has that older more "drawn" look to its textures, as opposed to attempting to be photorealistic. As a result it's aged quite well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

I personally consider the original KOTOR to be the best Star Wars story aside from the original three films. The extent to which the original BIOWARE team were able to channel Lucas' original vision was near-perfect.

I also think the game hold up, visually, because it's pre-bumb mapping etc. it has that older more "drawn" look to its textures, as opposed to attempting to be photorealistic. As a result it's aged quite well.

Oh don't get me wrong I still play the original two KOTOR's, and think they've aged fine.   Although I am more of a fan of the second one, the first one is what made me a Star Wars fan.  Up to that point I had never saw a SW movie, read an SW book, or played an SW game.  The only thing I knew where the names like Luke, Han, Leia, Obi Wan, and Vader.  But then KOTOR 1 was released and changed my gaming preference.  The story and characters is what makes these games for me.  Also it was in 2003 when shopping for KOTOR that I found and fell in love with Morrowind, another life changing game.

• Like 2

I'm not a big fan of remakes, but I'll keep an eye out for this one as it sounds like it's not just a graphical upgrade. I'm especially interested in seeing how they'll handle the combat, as it was a deal breaker for some/many people. Like, they'll probably make it depend more on player-skill, but will they go too far and make it a button smasher? One way or the other, there will be complaints.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Archmark said:

I'm not a big fan of remakes, but I'll keep an eye out for this one as it sounds like it's not just a graphical upgrade. I'm especially interested in seeing how they'll handle the combat, as it was a deal breaker for some/many people. Like, they'll probably make it depend more on player-skill, but will they go too far and make it a button smasher? One way or the other, there will be complaints.

Well the story was fantastic as is.  I do hope they do little to change that.  Graphic update is needed.  But I am one of those that liked switching from Turn Based Combat, to Auto Combat.  I would never want to put my characters life into my aged old reflexes ... that wouldn't end well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Rotzi said:

I was excited for 5 seconds and then read "PS5". :crash:  That means i'm out. :cry: At least i can still play the original on my xbone.

It's a timed exclusive for both PS5 and PC.  It will eventually come out for Xbox.  Most likely a year later.  Which is perfect because by then they would have most likely squashed all bugs, and it will be on sale.

3 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

It's a timed exclusive for both PS5 and PC.  It will eventually come out for Xbox.  Most likely a year later.  Which is perfect because by then they would have most likely squashed all bugs, and it will be on sale.

I have to admit is seems odd though.  I mean I can get making an exclusive of a brand new game.  No one's played it before, some real fan 'might' buy a console to play this NEW game.  But a REMAKE??  Come on.  Really?  Do they really think a remake will have that much of a following?  I imagine most remakes barely get their money back anyway, but to cut out a major platform just ... because?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But I'm a PC player so in this case I really don't have a dog in the fight anyway.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

Not sure about the timed exclusive because Sony is involved in the development. And i don't think they want to produce something for the xbone. But maybe the whole thing will be a complete mess if they try to change it into some third person action-rpg for a new generation of players. From what i have read so far it is at least possible.

1 hour ago, Rotzi said:

Not sure about the timed exclusive because Sony is involved in the development. And i don't think they want to produce something for the xbone. But maybe the whole thing will be a complete mess if they try to change it into some third person action-rpg for a new generation of players. From what i have read so far it is at least possible.

I've read similar stuff.  Honestly the auto turned based (time on/off option) works great for me.  If it goes action based that would be a huge let down for me.

• Like 2