Dumping trash in corpses?

Scythe Bearer

I know this is a SSE Forum, but this applies to the Fallout and the entire Elder Scrolls series, so bear with me. 

Elsewhere I read a comment which implied dumping trash items into corpses would remove them from the game and improve game performance.

But now my curiosity was piqued.  What does happen to the "clutter" items stashed in a corpse when cell reset cleans up the corpse?  Is the reference "disabled"?  Or is the item actually "deleted"

I do dump items onto bodies all the time to allow for space as needed.  I don't want to trash up the place I'm standing in (even though I know it would eventually 'clean up' anyway).

I am curious though as to what exactly you are referring to as 'trash items'.  Dumping an iron battle axe on a corpse is one thing, but are you referring to something else?

But as far as regular trash items (like an axe), have you ever wondered what would happen if someone got into the transporter in Star Trek and was beamed, but they forgot to put in a location to be beamed to ... ?

• Haha 2

Wasnt there one of those urban myth things in Enterprise with just that story. Back then not every one trusted the new technology. Sound familiar?😎

• Like 2

As long as you're not dumping quest items into corpses, the items you put there will be deleted from the game when the corpse is.

Quest items will prevent the corpse from being deleted.

27 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

As long as you're not dumping quest items into corpses, the items you put there will be deleted from the game when the corpse is.

Thank you.

46 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Can you put a 'quest item' on to a corpse though?  I considered that may be the topic (which is why I asked for clarification) but those items are stuck on your character aren't they?  Not sure about 'minor' quest items though, like the musical instruments you find for that Bard College quest.

• Like 2

You generally shouldn't be able to, but it's best not to take chances like that. For Skyrim at least it's possible to do this if the corpse belongs to an NPC who is marked as a quest object in his alias. The corpse still won't be removed but good luck remembering where you stuck the item. It also won't help if the NPC has the corpse cleanup script. That will transport them to the cleanup cell whether they have quest items on them or not.

The unanswered piece, does dumping trash items into corpses so they get deleted improve game performance?  I wouldn't think it did, but then again, with fewer items to manage there might be an imperceptible uptick in performance.

It won't matter for performance, but it will help reduce save bloat since those items won't be taking up space there anymore.

• Thanks 1

There is that.  And they aren't there to render on cell load, either. 

On 9/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, LeBurns said:

Can you put a 'quest item' on to a corpse though?  I considered that may be the topic (which is why I asked for clarification) but those items are stuck on your character aren't they?  Not sure about 'minor' quest items though, like the musical instruments you find for that Bard College quest.

At least in my Skyrim I can't drop quest items other than store weapons on weapon racks. But I do know that when the cultist's arrive for Dragonborn dlc if I don't pick up the note from the dead body the bodies remain until I do. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Fascinating! So many curious instances answered here.  As for the Cultists…it never occurred to me to see what would happen if I left the note alone…ha! Well now I know!

Thanks guys

A.:D

• 4 weeks later...

The Barrel Room, which you won't locate on any map, is where the game stores lost items. You can't get there by any normal means. I was there only once, when I teleported around to find a missing prisoner, and I certainly didn't expect to end up in the Barrel Room. Most of the barrels were empty. Two contained firewood (deleted because it was too heavy?). One held a few generic personal items, and I don't know how they got there.

The Graveyard is another hard-to.find place, which is not on the map. There is a fixed limit on the number of actors in a cell, and if there are too many NPCs, the game may send them to the Graveyard, dead. Essential characters don't die, they just stand around pointlessly, looking puzzled.  There are two coffins in the graveyard.  One is empty and the other holds items from deleted characters. Anything you take from the coffin is marked Stolen.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question, but I thought I should mention it. 

The Barrel Room.jpg

The Graveyard.jpg

What barrel room is that even supposed to be? I don't recall ever seeing one of those in the testing cells. There is no such thing as a place where the game stores lost items.

The room full of bodies is the cell where the corpse cleanup script sends the NPCs who have that script attached. Essential NPCs never go there because they can't be killed. It has nothing to do with any fixed actor limit on anything either. Items found in the one coffin are only transferred off of those NPCs who don't have a grave container specified in the script properties.