Creating a BAIN Install Wizard

mhahn123

Just what the name says. I'm very near finishing updates for the Hesu series. Wanting to get the lot packaged in proper Bain format and create an install wizard. For the base plugins just a simple "choose which you want to install" setup. There are 15 separate plugins which all use vanilla resources. So no core package with resources really.

For the sizeable collection of compatibility patches something a little more detailed perhaps. People may not immediately grasp which need to be installed. Would need messages asking qhat other mods are being installed so patches can be correctly chosen. I've looked at a few wizards out there but some seem rather complex. I'm no scripter but can interpret most of what I've read. Other parts confuse me.

I'm not asking someone else to write this up for me. I want to learn how because it's another notch on the belt as it were. Just need someone who is willing to explain the parts I'm not understanding. As far as I can tell, Wrye Bash doesn't have a method to create it's own install wizards. Are there any utilities out there which can do this? Or at least simplify it? 

56 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Is this for Oblivion? I should probably move this to the correct support forum.

This topic could be for Oblivion, or any of the Skyrim, or Fallouts .. Wrye Bash BAINs support the lot.

-------------------------

@mhahn123 - I have dumped everything I had for any of the supported games a few years ago, and am so out of the loop regarding Wrye Bash development I couldn't confidently help (also too rusty doing any actual BAIN Wizards), but there is a topic on here and more Wizards produced by Beermotor ..

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4987-relz-mertzs-wizbain-thread/

(Presume you are familiar with Wrye Bash's own documentation for Wizards - The Technical section).

Throughout Beermotors topic there were a few discussions on how to go about particular problems.

There's also Wrye's own wizards still on Oblivion Nexus for more examples.

On Oblivion Nexus there are a lot of linked Wizards in the Description of Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide (open the spoiler)

By far the best bunch of examples are all in one wizard - Metallicows Wrye Bash Wizard Demo

Tools : Only one I can recall, dont know if there's anything newer ..

Surazals BAT (BAIN Archive Tool), amongst his files here
Surazal made some quite clever BAIN Wizards, see also his Sensual Walks mod and the wizard for that.

Sorry I cant be any more help, been out of it too long now, and no interest in coming back to supporting Bethesda games or Nexus.

Hope some of the above helps :)

For this particular instance it's Oblivion related. But could be applied to any of the supported games.

Thanks very much alt3ern1ity! A lot of that is helpful. Very interested in that Bain Archive Tool. Could be just what the doctor ordered. But I'll be looking through all of that in turn.

Moved to "Tools of the Trade", because if we have a forum for this stuff we should use it!

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for just now seeing this @mhahn123

Given that the FOMOD format is pretty much the agreed-upon format for mod installers now, I would encourage most people to use that format for compatibility across mod managers for new mods. Just stick to the BAIN folder structure and you'll be good to go.

But if you'd like to stay with a BAIN wizard for backwards compatibility with older versions of Bash most of the recommendations in the thread are fantastic. My stuff is all open source so feel free to reuse any of the code I wrote, just leave some kind of nice word in there for me and @alt3rn1ty and @lmstearn since they helped me a lot. :)

Syntax is very well documented on the Bash readme page, but if you want the ultimate be-all, end-all BAIN wizard I've attached Metallicow's ultimate demo wizard which I learned an enormous amount from.

I hope this is helpful!

Metallicow's Demo Wizard.txt