Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced

DayDreamer

yet another update, all well and good that they are patching the bugs from the new content but now have to wait for the next round of updates for the SKSE mods. think I am going to either wait a while with playing Skyrim or go no SKSE mods for now.

15 minutes ago, Uncus said:

now have to wait for the next round of updates for the SKSE mods. 

I think few SKSE-dependent mods will need to be updated.  Only SKSE itself.  I'm using 11 SKSE mods and none of them will need to be updated whenever I get around to updating to this latest patch.

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I think few SKSE-dependent mods will need to be updated.  Only SKSE itself.  I'm using 11 SKSE mods and none of them will need to be updated whenever I get around to updating to this latest patch.

probably not but I have seen some mods get AE specific updates for mods that interact with the new CC content included with the AE update. So its just wait and see, I'm not complaining just resigned to the possible wait till at least SKSE is updated.

There does seem to be a new issue being reported with this latest update involving CTDs, and it is on vanilla games, apparently when entering Silus Vesuius' house/museum. Reported here on the Steam SSE forum.  People have been directed to file a bug report regarding the issue with Bethesda.

And kudos to the SKSE Team for once again being incredibly fast with their updates - but then, they always have been!  A good job on their part.

25 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

There does seem to be a new issue being reported with this latest update involving CTDs, and it is on vanilla games, apparently when entering Silus Vesuius' house/museum.

The developers are aware of this particular CTD issue, but yes, it's a good idea to file bug reports with Bethesda anyway. They're more likely to be able to reproduce it on their end if people who are experiencing it (or other CTDs) can provide as much detailed information as possible. Hopefully the reports they're encouraging people to file will lead to a solution soon.

17 minutes ago, BlackPete said:

The developers are aware of this particular CTD issue, but yes, it's a good idea to file bug reports with Bethesda anyway. They're more likely to be able to reproduce it on their end if people who are experiencing it (or other CTDs) can provide as much detailed information as possible. Hopefully the reports they're encouraging people to file will lead to a solution soon.

Thanks, BlackPete!  Just quoted your reply and posted it in several places in the Steam SSE forum, including in my pinned topic Helpful Links and References, just after the introductory sentence (with proper credit and a link, of course, in all instances).

Well, one person did get a response from Bethesda support, and I will post their post containing the response in full here:

"Well, I received a reply from Bethesda and it was not encouraging. They seem to imagine it is my PC's problem, which it is not. The funniest part is them asking me to run the Windows Memory Diagnostics six times (once took about 40+ minutes). Needless to say, none of these suggestions helped/fixed the problem. No problems were detected on my PC (shocking).

Here is their email:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Support Team. My name is Waasay and I'll be overlooking your ticket.

I see that you are unable to enter Silus Vesuius' House without the game crashing and you cannot reinstall. Ghosts of the Tribunal I understand the disappointment of such instances.

Please try to to change your display to 60Hz for this portion of the game. You may do so by right-clicking your desktop and selecting 'Display settings'. From here go to 'Advanced display settings' and change the 'Refresh rate' of your display to 60 or 59.

If this does not correct your issue please check your computer for errors:
To run Chkdisk - run this until no errors show up
Open the "Windows File Explorer" by typing File Explorer in the search bar
Right Click on the drive you have the game installed on and select "Properties"
Click the "Tools" tab
Select "Check" in the "Error checking" section

If the system detects that there are errors, you will be asked to check the disk.
If no errors are found, you will see the message – "You don’t need to scan this drive." You can disregard this message and choose to check the drive.
To run SFC Scan - Go to this link here.
To run a Mem-test - <--run this about 6 times
Windows 10: In the Start menu, go to All Apps -> Windows Administrative Tools -> Windows Memory Diagnostic

If your game continues to crash at the house please provide us with an updated(generated after error checks) DxDiag and an MSInfo for us to investigate further. To create an MSInfo:

1.Press [Windows] key + [R].
2.Type "msinfo32" in the Search box and click OK.
3.While viewing the System Summary node, go to File and select Export.
4.Save the MSINFO32 report as msinfo32.txt on the desktop for easy access.

Now that the report has been generated, it can be attached. Please note that the file is very large, so it should not be copy/pasted into the contents of an e-mail.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We appreciate your continued support.

Thank you,
Waasay
Bethesda Customer Support"
https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3196990234730165781/#c3196990234732763672

I did tell them to make sure they send Bethesda the requested information, and did post encouraging others to file support tickets - but this kind of response is not a good thing - if only from a public relations standpoint.  No indication given that there is any knowledge of the problem on their end - even if the person responding (the support rep) is actually not a person connected directly with the developers (and I would assume he is not), still something more than just a please check your machine would be indicated (even if it is necessary). Maybe "we are aware of the problem and looking into it, but please do the following for us"?  I did indicate to the person that they may ask this as a standard response, just so they can rule out problems on the user's end, and that they should not take this as nothing being done or them not being aware - just not the best way of responding.

That is pretty much Bethesda's standard response.  Here is what they sent me:

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Bethesda Technical Support Team!

If you are experiencing performance issues when trying to play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, you should first check to ensure that your machine meets the game’s minimum requirements
here and that you are not running any other programs in the background.

If you meet the game’s requirements and are not running any additional programs, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

Update Your Graphics Card Drivers

To ensure you are getting the best performance out of your graphics card, you can download and install latest drivers (based on manufacturer) here: 

NVIDIA
AMD

Change In-Game Settings

You can improve performance by making changes to the game's in-game settings.
First, try resetting the auto-detected video options:
  1. Open Steam and navigate to your Library.
  2. Select The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.
  3. Click Play to open the Skyrim Launcher.
  4. From the launcher, select Options and then click the Reset button in the Detail section.
  5. Launch Skyrim Special Edition and see if there is an improvement.
If the issues persist, open the Skyrim Launcher again and lower the quality of the following options under the Advanced section:
  • Godrays
  • Shadows
  • Decals
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • SSAO
  • Snow Shader
  • Lens Flare
You can also try reducing the View Distance, the Distant object detail, and Fade settings, and you should try switching to a lower resolution. Finally, changing the Antialiasing settings from TSAA to either FXAA or Off may also help.

You can read additional troubleshooting steps here:
What do I do if The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition is crashing on PC? 

If you continue to experience performance issues, please reply back and send an updated copy of your DxDiag file for further troubleshooting and any further information you would like to provide.

Best regards,

Bethesda Support

46 minutes ago, Scythe Bearer said:

That is pretty much Bethesda's standard response.  Here is what they sent me:

Yes, and the individual just got ANOTHER response, but I will just link it as it is as lengthy as the first, and would indicate that the responses are being sent from following a set list (like a telemarketer when you talk to them on a phone), and not necessarily as a direct response to what a person is actually saying (that is probably being forwarded directly to the people working on the issue, along with the response to the followup questions)  Here's the link:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3196990234730165781/?tscn=1639484175#c3196990234732962439

And now we are getting a lot of reports about CTDs at Kolbjorn Barrow

And yet another standard response was received by that individual:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3196990234730165781/#c3196990234733393196

Obviously, when troubleshooting an issue, you want to rule out any other possible causes, but when you have hundreds of people all reporting the same issue, with the same circumstance, and these issues all started with the same event, then you really need to scrap the standard responses and look at the bottom line common denominator - in this case the latest update.

And, I should point out that I do understand the process and that things take time and we need to be patient - but the handling of things on Bethesda's end is perhaps somewhat less than ideal (though it is NOT something to rage about - as some are doing in the forums and elsewhere).  Patience is required - and I am sure Bethesda is working on this - even if the messages do not necessarily do a good job of relating that information.

I've posted here elsewhere that all customer support requests are treated as user errors. In that case, after sending multiple sets of diagnostics and save files, they requested a new Bug/Feedback ticket instead:

After looking at your past troubleshooting steps, diagnostics, and the nuances of your issue, I will be sending your ticket information and account info up as a feedback report to the development team. To submit your own from your end, which you can update with any of your future findings, you can perform the following:

To begin you will need to go to our support website:
  1. Select Skyrim as your product
  2. Click Additional Support
  3. Select your platform
  4. Click the Feedback / Bug button and select your category
  5. Fill in the form and click Next
  6. Click Submit Feedback
As we are not able to make alterations to game/launcher mechanics or code, this is an issue that will need to be brought to the development team's attention. We thank you for your understanding in regards to customer support's limitations.

Note this was a detailed report that I'd nailed down to the function code offset. All they needed to do was fix the code.

Never got a response to my Bug/Feedback ticket. Nor to any Bug/Feedback ticket I've ever posted.

Not even my suggestion last April proposing a "Skyrim 10th-anniversary edition" (Question Reference # 210426-001718, Bug/Feedback 210430-002317).

esQuestion Reference # 210426-001718tion Reference # 210426-001718

So, there is an unverified report as to what is causing the crashes.  This, reported to be from Bethesda Discord:

"There are two corrupted textures in latest update which cause crashes in Mythic Dawn Museum and Kolbjorn Barrow:
Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, textures\actors\dlc02\dragonpriestacolyte\dragonpriestacolyte2.dds
Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, textures\clutter\quest\mysteriumxarxes01.dds"
https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3196990234730165781/?tscn=1639519167#c3196990234734456258

Can confirm that both of those are indeed corrupted. Bethesda has been made aware of it. Ball's in their court now.

The Dragon Priest one can potentially cause crashes in other places as well if they happen to use the same assets. So if people are getting random CTDs elsewhere that could be why.

10 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Can confirm that both of those are indeed corrupted. Bethesda has been made aware of it. Ball's in their court now.

The Dragon Priest one can potentially cause crashes in other places as well if they happen to use the same assets. So if people are getting random CTDs elsewhere that could be why.

Thanks!

:wallbash:

My mental image of the reddit community when Bethesda pushes out yet another update immediately after the debris from the last one has pretty much settled.

My ticket on the CTD entering Silus Vesuius' House/the Mythic Dawn Museum has been escalated.  Waiting on Agent.  It only took four spurious 'try this' messages. 

I kept expecting to get a message saying "go to the middle of a cemetery at midnight and put a live chicken in a paper sack and then swing the sack over your head until the chicken either dies or escapes.  If the chicken escapes, your computer is broken.  If the chicken dies, your configuration is all wrong and we made it worse with all our attempts to circumvent the problem".  Followed by trailing, hollow laughter. 

4 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

My ticket on the CTD entering Silus Vesuius' House/the Mythic Dawn Museum has been escalated.  Waiting on Agent.  It only took four spurious 'try this' messages. 

I kept expecting to get a message saying "go to the middle of a cemetery at midnight and put a live chicken in a paper sack and then swing the sack over your head until the chicken either dies or escapes.  If the chicken escapes, your computer is broken.  If the chicken dies, your configuration is all wrong and we made it worse with all our attempts to circumvent the problem".  Followed by trailing, hollow laughter. 

I have the same issue entering Silus Vesuius' House ... CTD

it worked fine a few days ago when I returned the hilt (first part of the dagger) ... but today its CTD non stop

7 minutes ago, Sah said:

I have the same issue entering Silus Vesuius' House ... CTD

it worked fine a few days ago when I returned the hilt (first part of the dagger) ... but today its CTD non stop

That's the issue from the latest update caused by the corrupted files mentioned here:

11 hours ago, smr1957 said:

"There are two corrupted textures in latest update which cause crashes in Mythic Dawn Museum and Kolbjorn Barrow:
Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, textures\actors\dlc02\dragonpriestacolyte\dragonpriestacolyte2.dds
Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, textures\clutter\quest\mysteriumxarxes01.dds"
https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3196990234730165781/?tscn=1639519167#c3196990234734456258

Hopefully there will be a fix released very quickly, or if you have something that replaces those two textures, you can use that (as it is just the textures causing the issue).

For those wanting to see what the corrupted files look like, here they are:

248876117_Dragonpriestissuefile.thumb.jpg.14178742665df192e43d77727db480d7.jpg

Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, textures\clutter\quest\mysteriumxarxes01.dds

341320766_Dawnstarmuseumissuefile.thumb.jpg.5b3d161f402dde6ebd47ac853798bb6b.jpg

Bethesda employee #1
"Oh, snap! I just spilled my soda all over your machine!"
Bethesda employee #2
"No biggie - see? It saved just fine!"
Bethesda employee #1
"Great! Let's go grab another soda!"
Bethesda employee #2
"You're on!"

(thanks to Alucard over on the Steam SSE forums for providing the images, here)

I put together a patch containing the following, and am wondering if it would be okay to upload here on AFK Mods:
dragonpriestacolyte2.dds
mysteriumxarxes01.dds
mysteriumxarxes01_n.dds

The textures were taken from version 1.5.97

They would be installed as any other texture mod would be.

If any would like to test - here is the .7z file Fixed 1.6.342 Update Textures.7z(@ Arthmoor or any of the moderators, if there is an issue, remove the link)

As I have not updated, I cannot test it myself.  Also, if it works, anyone can feel free to upload it anywhere they wish should it be permissible - the purpose is to help the community - no credit is necessary.  What is important is that people should be able to play their game - that is the only thing that matters.

Gotta love Bethesds's tactics. 

This morning, I get this:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Service Team, my name is Justin and I will be trying to help you with your ticket!

Thank you for your continued interest and support, if you have further questions or concerns, please contact us back. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Warm Regards,

Bethesda Customer Support

Keep an eye on our official Facebook, Twitter, and website for upcoming news about Bethesda Softworks games here:

A nice note to start the day.  But, at the bottom, they stick this notice in.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours (4 days).

This forces you to keep pinging them or they close the problem.  

Translation: "We wash our hands of any responsibility for any issue caused by our actions should we not hear from you - even though the problem was our fault."

Like the guy hanging off a cliff by a rope who see that it is fraying and calls for help.

"Please try pulling yourself back up.  If that does not work, please get back to us.  If we do not hear from you, we will assume that the problem is resolved."

Yes, the problem was resolved when the guy hit the ground after the rope broke.

• Haha 2

Theres an update available for Ghosts of the Tribunal now.

I wonder what the future of Creation Club is now. Will they still release new CC mods occasionaly ? It was dead for a really long time for both Skyrim and Fallout 4.