Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced

DayDreamer

29 minutes ago, Tasheni said:

Really? This is good news. :unworthy:

Absolutely!  Perhaps others will also be inspired to return to the modding scene.  There are a tremendous number of new players now, and I am sure they would appreciate the return of modders who had left.

On another note, the Steam forums are extremely active - unfortunately, many of the questions are of the same type and have been already answered.  The trick now is to get people to actually read the relevant posts - LOL!  I've been doing my share in consolidating the links in one place and in pushing the appropriate topics to the top of the forum, but still, it is difficult - and that is an understatement!  But, it is necessary, and, especially for those who are new, things can be very confusing, so one must not give up.

7 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Absolutely!  Perhaps others will also be inspired to return to the modding scene.  There are a tremendous number of new players now, and I am sure they would appreciate the return of modders who had left.

On another note, the Steam forums are extremely active - unfortunately, many of the questions are of the same type and have been already answered.  The trick now is to get people to actually read the relevant posts - LOL!  I've been doing my share in consolidating the links in one place and in pushing the appropriate topics to the top of the forum, but still, it is difficult - and that is an understatement!  But, it is necessary, and, especially for those who are new, things can be very confusing, so one must not give up.

I dont use Steam forums but i do sometime go on Reddit... and it is even worse they say. For support i prefer AFK, Step and a few Discord servers. How is the Bethesda.net forum (never used that)?

4 hours ago, Wasarion said:

How is the Bethesda.net forum (never used that)?

We shut down our forums earlier this year and transitioned to a Discord.  While they were active I thought they were the best gaming forums on the internet.  They were my online home-away-from-home for 19 years and I miss them very much.  Discords are okay, but too disorganized for my taste.  That said, there are a lot of great people on Bethesda's Discord right now and I enjoy interacting with them.  

Since the closing of the official forums I only post on Bethesda's Discord and this forum.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

We shut down our forums earlier this year and transitioned to a Discord.  While they were active I thought they were the best gaming forums on the internet.  They were my online home-away-from-home for 19 years and I miss them very much.  Discords are okay, but too disorganized for my taste.  That said, there are a lot of great people on Bethesda's Discord right now and I enjoy interacting with them.  

Since the closing of the official forums I only post on Bethesda's Discord and this forum.  

A lot of us felt that way mate, still not sure if it was the right thing to do. Those of us that came hear are not happy our club house has been demolished for a shinny development we did not want. I was also wondering are you now involved in other Beth social media now that you are no longer a moderator for the forums.

2 hours ago, Uncus said:

are you now involved in other Beth social media now that you are no longer a moderator for the forums.

I'm still a moderator for them.  I moderate Bethesda Game Studio's Discord now.  That's all the social media I have time for these days.  Between job, family, and ten cats (nine feral) I am kept pretty busy.  :)

If memory serves, a discussion of who moderates where and what forums/discord are available in a topic titled "Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced" would merit a stern and threatening warning from one specific moderator.  Something about the evils of hijacking a thread and rude behavior of not sticking to the topic under discussion.  Now what was that moderators name ... ?

I visited the bethesda studios discord for information about the update and blackscreens on modded games on xbone. After 5 minutes i had the sudden urge to scratch my eyes out. I really couldn't make heads and tails of it. And the moment they asked for a phone number was the moment i deleted my 5 minute old account. I am still not convinced that updating is safe. The other thing i have read is that the offline management from mods is now patched out like in F4. If this is true then......i don't find civilized words for it.......:crash:

I updated on my laptop, and to be honest it works ok, but, yes there is a but. I went to update skse all good exept one thing my bloody virus program marked the skse activator button as a virus or untrusted action and removed it. So now I have to work out to change that. For those who want to know my anti-virus program is called “ Panda Dome” a reputable piece of software in my part of the world.

28 minutes ago, Uncus said:

I updated on my laptop, and to be honest it works ok, but, yes there is a but. I went to update skse all good exept one thing my bloody virus program marked the skse activator button as a virus or untrusted action and removed it. So now I have to work out to change that. For those who want to know my anti-virus program is called “ Panda Dome” a reputable piece of software in my part of the world.

Seems you could just 'white list' it couldn't you?  I'm using AVG on my PC, and a few others, but nothing came up as an issue.

17 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Seems you could just 'white list' it couldn't you?  I'm using AVG on my PC, and a few others, but nothing came up as an issue.

Thats what I have to work out how to do, just have not found the right controls yet.

3 hours ago, Rotzi said:

I visited the bethesda studios discord for information about the update and blackscreens on modded games on xbone. After 5 minutes i had the sudden urge to scratch my eyes out. I really couldn't make heads and tails of it. And the moment they asked for a phone number was the moment i deleted my 5 minute old account. I am still not convinced that updating is safe. The other thing i have read is that the offline management from mods is now patched out like in F4. If this is true then......i don't find civilized words for it.......:crash:

Aha I had this blackscreen today on loading last save (and several previous as it turned out) also on XB1, strangely though the audio was present as though the save had loaded but with no visible screen or reaction to the controller.

That black screen issue is a very common one, and Bethesda is working on it - though there is no timeline for when a fix will be made available. The best advice that can be given it seems, is, simply, if a person updated SSE or bought the Anniversary Edition, then they should just start a new game.

And there is this post from Bethesda regarding the issue:
https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/36338

There are some workarounds being batted about - but I think that the main one is to try a clean reinstall and start a new game.

Or just wait it out and play something else - you might find some other game that you really like while doing so!

10 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

there is no timeline for when a fix will be made available.

There is a timeline now.  It was posted by Jesscapade a few hours ago.  "We really appreciate your patience as we work with other platforms to solidify a patch. Currently, we are aiming to have a patch early next week that will address several of the big issues players have experienced. More details will be included in the patch notes."

43 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

There is a timeline now.  It was posted by Jesscapade a few hours ago.  "We really appreciate your patience as we work with other platforms to solidify a patch. Currently, we are aiming to have a patch early next week that will address several of the big issues players have experienced. More details will be included in the patch notes."

Thanks!  Do you have a link for that so I can post it in the Steam forums along with the quote?

So, I posted that information regarding the upcoming patch in the Steam forum - thanks Pseron Wyrd  for the heads up, and thanks to Arthmoor for reminding me to be just a bit caution in stating what will or will not be fixed - so amended my post by adding the word "Hopefully"  LOL!

19 hours ago, XRAT said:

Aha I had this blackscreen today on loading last save (and several previous as it turned out) also on XB1, strangely though the audio was present as though the save had loaded but with no visible screen or reaction to the controller.

Like others said, (i also read it somwehere) new game seems the only remedy for that at the moment. One of the reasons i have deactivated all auto-updating, to avoid such things (and forced new game) until they are fixed. 

Since you are on xbone and already installed the update maybe you can answer me one question: If you start the game offline can you access the loadorder or is the mods option greyed out?

4 hours ago, Rotzi said:

Like others said, (i also read it somwehere) new game seems the only remedy for that at the moment. One of the reasons i have deactivated all auto-updating, to avoid such things (and forced new game) until they are fixed. 

Since you are on xbone and already installed the update maybe you can answer me one question: If you start the game offline can you access the loadorder or is the mods option greyed out?

If i get chance tomorrow i will try it but it may be Saturday.

Okay, my AE experience.  On PC.

I finally got around to loading it up and starting a game.  Selected New Game.  Got the starting black screen and the sound of the cart being pulled by a horse.  And it continued that way for about five minutes before I gave up.  Just a black screen with a cart pulling sound.  No talking, no nothing.  Had to restart the PC to get it out of it, game was locked like that.

Second try.  I waited a while just to make sure that STEAM and everything else on the PC had fully updated and nothing else was happening.  Game started as normal.  BUT, it would occasionally lose framerates, almost locking up.  Barely playable.  I know that sometimes with a fresh reinstall a game may run slow for a while before 'getting in the grove'.  I stopped after 30 minutes.  Hopefully next time it will play normally.

Note I have been playing SE on maximum settings, with about 30 some mods running.  I've only added about 15 mods to AE, and of course it has all those other CC items added.

Since all the reports on the Anniversary Edition seem to be tales of woe, let me provide a counterweight.  I also play on a PC, just note, I do not have the $20US upgrade as there is nothing in that pile of mammoth dung I want right now.

This is my second run through.  My first was truncated because all I was doing was validating the success/failure of my mods.  Once that validation was finished i stopped playing that game, made sure ALL my downloaded mods were current, and started again.  

I just talked to Paarthunax and got his take on the Dragonrend Shout.  I have crawled though several dozens dungeons and virtually every non-quest related dungeon to get the shouts therein.  I have joined the Companions and started their quest line.  I am a fledgling member of the College of Winterhold, have completed Sarthal, and am undertaking a couple of the Master (Destruction and Alteration) quests.   I have completed the Saints and Seducers quest line and currently have a challenge to find some Fair Weather Fish. 

The only issue I have discovered has been reported to AFKTrack and I just got an Email via that facility telling me a fix is pending. 

I have had NO difficulties that were new or different than previous versions of the game, nor have I experienced any hangs, drops in frame rate, or CTD.  (touch wood), 

BUG REPORT LEVEL 30 - 100% VANILLA

Nimhe the giant frostbite spider found in the Nchuand-Zel Excavation Site re-spawns after you kill it

Blood on Ice Quest: Calixto kills Arivanya at 4pm and in a packed with NPC's town square, Calixto should show up after 8pm

the side quest deliver a book to the blacksmith of Dawnstar  wont start (no dialog option)

the side quest deliver a book to the Alchemist in Morthal (song of the alchemist) wont start (no dialog option)

CTD swimming across Lake Ilinalta (repeated event at the same spot)

Red Belly Mine has ebony ore instead of Iron

Northwind Mine has iron ore instead of ebony

the tree hired thugs are much weaker than normal

Did some initial actual playing with AE  and the Upgrade (i dont know why i spent 19,99€ on that).

My game is modded (preparing for a mage playtrough in december, never done that :o ) so i have spent the last week going through my list, deactivated some, updated some but still ended up having a LOT of active mods (201).

Did a fresh vanilla start and did not find any problems what so ever after playing about four hours. No glitches, no ctd no nothing! Smooth and nice as always with SE.

If someone has issues on PC after the update, i strongly suggest running verify game cache function in Steam. That has fixed laggy or otherwise broken games for me in the past, to the point i do it automatically whenever i download a game or even an update.

Haven't had issues with the newest patch, though i did start new characters (i cannot continue a character from past in RPGs, not to mention i change mods everytime i install the game).

I do play with USSEP, always. Skyrim has far too many bugs not to. Blood on the Ice quest is a good example that is borderline broken (though i remember completing it successfully on 360 nearly a decade ago) without unofficial patch.