Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced

DayDreamer

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

At least in the case of SkyUI all it depends on is SKSE itself and it will just work once SKSE is updated.

Yeah that's what I tried to say, but couldn't find the words.  SkyUI has not been updated for SSE, because it never needed to be updated every time SKSE was updated.  But the AddItem Menu mod needs to be updated.  I just hope that the creator of that mod is still around.

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

It won't be available yet for another 7.5 hours. The release is scheduled for Midnight eastern time US.

You know, ten years ago today I stood outside a local GameStop to pick up my copy of Skyrim at 12:01 in the morning.  First time (and last) I had ever waited at a store for a game.  I also got the Hardback collectors guide ... which I've still never really looked at (still has the map folded in the back).  I then got my copy and drove home ... and went to bed ... but I had this feeling I wasn't doing something right.

Tonight, I'm going to bed.  In fact it's almost 10:00 and I'm feeling it.  See ya all in the morning.

28 minutes ago, Sah said:

just started the Skyrim Special Edition update

:frantics:

the new update is 3,3GB

IMPORTANT NOTE: the game wont work if you have Engine Fixes .dll or any other dll in your Skyrim folder

had to deleted the game and installed it fresh to see what happens

getting there

The X button is greyed out until Creation Club has been updated

SkyrimSE 11-11-2021 4-56-18 PM-320.png

The upgrade process has been a massive clusterfuck so far. Steam claiming it downloaded stuff, no additional files for the free content in the Data folder, people claiming the game will do the downloads itself, start the game, nothing happens, it just sits there. So I'm joining you in a complete deletion of my base vanilla folder and forcing steam to reinstall it all. This should not have been necessary in 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

The upgrade process has been a massive clusterfuck so far. Steam claiming it downloaded stuff, no additional files for the free content in the Data folder, people claiming the game will do the downloads itself, start the game, nothing happens, it just sits there. So I'm joining you in a complete deletion of my base vanilla folder and forcing steam to reinstall it all. This should not have been necessary in 2021.

Bethesda are treating this as just a upgrade ... witch is true, what they fail to tell anyone is that they are talking about the VANILLA game

the 3,3GB update witch everyone thinks is the start of the process is actually Bethesdas way of getting everyone to clean install first before you can get the Anniversary Edition

you can get Anniversary Edition only after you have updated to the latest version number of the game (today's update) of Skyrim SE VANILLA (all mods you have installed will stop working after the update)... any 3 party mods like Engine Fixes that are still in your folder will stop the game from loading and stop you from getting Skyrim AE

regardless for me a fresh install is the way to go ... even if you decide to mod your game via other methods like NEXUS, AFK ext you still will have to wait for them to be ported, you will still have to wait for the new SKAE, mod managers to be updated ext

after the update Skyrim SE and Skyrim AE are now two separate/different games

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING SKYRIM SE DONT UPDATE!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Talyn82 said:

Thanks for the information Sah! :rolleyes:

Reporter Sah: would you believe I made all of that up ;) ... dont take anything I say seriously OK :shrug:

36 minutes ago, Sah said:

the 3,3GB update witch everyone thinks is the start of the process is actually Bethesdas way of getting everyone to clean install first before you can get the Anniversary Edition

This exact scenario is why I maintain multiple install folders and only ever let Steam perform the updates on the 100% vanilla one. Only when THAT has done what it needs to do, and done it properly, do I then copy those files to any of the other modded install folders. Steam will not molest those once it believes it has updated the game.

Also, as predicted, SKSE update is already out. Modpocalypse indeed.

• Like 2

So far, so good for me. I dont run a lot of mods, the unofficial patch being one of them. They all played nice with the CC stuff I tried out so far which is nice :) Funny thing, a long time ago when I was planning my current character and downloading mods, I swear one of my mods required SKSE. During this whole Y2K of Skyrim, I realized after looking at each mod that I don't use any SKSE plugins, and that one and only mod just recommended SKSE, not requiring it. So once AE dropped, I felt adventurous and just launched the old fashion way. Everything went smoothly. I hope it stays like this!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

This exact scenario is why I maintain multiple install folders and only ever let Steam perform the updates on the 100% vanilla one. Only when THAT has done what it needs to do, and done it properly, do I then copy those files to any of the other modded install folders. Steam will not molest those once it believes it has updated the game.

Also, as predicted, SKSE update is already out. Modpocalypse indeed.

I assume this can be done by copying Skyrim SE folder from Steam's install location to desired place? Or does one need to go through hoops to get stuff working?

What I did some time ago was download Skyrim normally from Steam. That download was then designated as 100% vanilla. I then copied that installed folder into another 3 duplicates, and when I work on mods or the patch, or just play the game with a pile of mods, I use one of those folders. When updates to the game drop, I switch everything back to 100% vanilla so any janky update issues like I had tonight don't decimate my modded setups. Then I go through and see what changed and what I need to watch out for for the USSEP updates. Then just copy all the updated files into those other folders once I'm done with that.

Since I don't use any critical SKSE DLLs my game won't be offline waiting on those few mods to be updated. SKSE itself already is, and that gets the important stuff back online again.

5 hours ago, tgl1992 said:

So far, so good for me. I dont run a lot of mods, the unofficial patch being one of them. They all played nice with the CC stuff I tried out so far which is nice :) Funny thing, a long time ago when I was planning my current character and downloading mods, I swear one of my mods required SKSE. During this whole Y2K of Skyrim, I realized after looking at each mod that I don't use any SKSE plugins, and that one and only mod just recommended SKSE, not requiring it. So once AE dropped, I felt adventurous and just launched the old fashion way. Everything went smoothly. I hope it stays like this!

I don't run a lot of mods either so I'm hoping for the best.

So how does it incorporate the new mods if you stick with just the free stuff for now?  Also are the mods through Beth.net still there like normal?  For simplicity sake most my mods are through there.

I think some of the necromancy spells sound pretty cool:

Spoiler

Spell Tome: Banish Undead ~Summoned or raised undead up to level <mag> are sent back to the grave.

Spell Tome: Conjure Undying Ghost ~Consumes all magicka and summons an Undying Ghost for <dur> seconds. The ghost's attributes are equal to twice the amount of magicka consumed (up to <600>).

Spell Tome: Conjure Ancient Deathpriest ~Summons an Ancient Deathpriest that wields powerful magic and commands the undead for <dur> seconds. When killed, the Deathpriest splits into <3> Tortured Shades.

Spell Tome: Conjure Skeleton Minion Summons a weak Skeleton warrior for <dur> seconds. Spell Tome: Necromancer's Ritual Regain <30> health and magicka every time a friendly conjured or reanimated minion dies for <dur> seconds.

Spell Tome: Conjure Cursed Spectre Summons a Cursed Spectre for <dur> seconds that drains health and magicka from enemies.

Spell Tome: Conjure Haunting Spirit Summons a Haunting Spirit for <dur> seconds. When killed, the spirit steals <10> points from the skills of its killer and transfers them to the caster for a short time.

Spell Tome: Conjure Tomb Guardian Summons a Tomb Guardian for <dur> seconds that conjures a Shade when it kills an enemy.

Spell Tome: Conjure Bone Colossus Summons a Bone Colossus for <dur> seconds. While active, conjured skeletons regenerate health and you can summon <2> additional skeletons. Only <1> colossus can be summoned at a time.

Spell Tome: Conjure Skeleton Warlock Summons a Skeleton Warlock that wields powerful shock magic for <dur> seconds.

Spell Tome: Conjure Skeleton Champion Summons a Skeleton Champion that gains +<10>% attack damage for each nearby enemy (up to <5>) for <dur> seconds.

Spell Tome: Conjure Skeleton Marksman Summons a Skeleton Marksman whose arrows weaken foes for <dur> seconds.

Spell Tome: Soul Split Sacrifice a friendly conjured or reanimated minion to summon <2> Sundered Shades for <dur> seconds.

No. The 5 base master files all still exist, they have NOT been merged into Skyrim.esm.

IMO, this downgrade patcher is something to avoid. Such things are often unreliable in their results, and it is of no real value to perform that operation when SKSE was already updated.

I uninstalled and reinstalled SSE.  Reinstalled my mods from Beth.net (only 16 of them).  Got the free horse armor from the CC.  But I can't find the free mods that were supposed to be in the update.  I click the 'X' on the main menu and it just took me to STEAM to buy the $20 DLC.  I just wanted to try the free stuff first.  But how do you get it?

6 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

I uninstalled and reinstalled SSE.  Reinstalled my mods from Beth.net (only 16 of them).  Got the free horse armor from the CC.  But I can't find the free mods that were supposed to be in the update.  I click the 'X' on the main menu and it just took me to STEAM to buy the $20 DLC.  I just wanted to try the free stuff first.  But how do you get it?

I haven't updated yet, but according to Matty from MattyPlays the 3 free dlc will be integrated into the game.  For the survival dlc I assume that kicks in when you start a new game.  As for the other two I don't know.

That information is incorrect. No DLC material of any kind is being merged into the base game files.

There was a delivery issue last night during the launch that caused the 4 free files to fail to download with the rest of the update. They hotfixed it a few hours later and those files are being delivered properly now.

7 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

Someone released a tool already that can revert AE back to Special Edition. Its 3GB. The FAQ for it states that the ESMs are different. It seems Update.esm got merged into the main ESM. I wonder if the DLCs and all of the Creation Club ESLs also got merged.

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher

So something needs to be said about this, I'm sure our Lizard Overlord has opinions on it, but let me explain what it does.

So, basically what halgari is doing here is what he does with Wabbajack - it's a "binary delta patch" of the affected files, including the exe. What that means is that when you run this patcher the 1's and 0's from AE are being snipped out and replaced with 1's and 0's from SSE. There's nothing theoretically wrong with this, manually patching the exe used to be necessary for old games where a lot of the game data was actually baked into the exe itself, it's still used for X-wing: Alliance, for example (released 1999). This method of patching can inject any data into the exe, though, including malicious code.

I DO NOT FOR A SECOND BELIEVE HALGARI WOULD INJECT MALICIOUS CODE INTO THE GAME.

That being said, I'm concerned about versions of this patcher being "passed around" and potentially modified by third parties. In other circumstances halgari has actually complained about mod manager that don't use virtualisation because they modify the base install. About the worst thing in a game you can modify is the exe file, closely followed by any DLL files. Once upon a time, when people were ussed to this way of modding they took appropriate precautions but today's generation seem to be looking at this as a majic button without appreciating what's actually being done.

So, I'd avoid it, and for Talos' sake don't get it second hand or use an old version not from halgari himself for any reason.

To say I have an opinion on that would be an understatement :P

But not because of how it does what it does. That's bad enough. Because of WHY it's being offered at all. Nothing but a purely FUD based reaction to a problem that simply doesn't exist for 99% of us. Even if we're using SKSE. Forcing the game to downgrade to an older copy of itself for the sake of some obscure plugins doesn't seem like a sane reaction to the situation to me. The world isn't ending. The modding scene hasn't been fubared. There hasn't been this level of lunacy in reaction to an update since SE itself came along, and history has proven that those of us who switched were in the right when we did. This update is nowhere near that level. So just play. Don't risk breaking something over a manufactured crisis.

the million dollar question?

if I manually install a mod manually,  like for example x2 enemy spawns or install a UNP body and textures ... will I have issues

1 hour ago, Sah said:

if I manually install a mod manually,  like for example x2 enemy spawns or install a UNP body and textures ... will I have issues

Try and find I supose 😎

1 hour ago, Sah said:

I have not bought the upgrade yet.  But they should work.