Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced

DayDreamer

1 hour ago, Kain said:

There will unfortunately be problems with SKSE. They use Visual Studio 2019 and NOT Visual Studio 2015 for this new Anniversary Edition.

Nope- just a new toolchain. A few changes in syntax with the latest C++ is all.

What i am concerned about is that the free upgrade with the 3 CC pieces will be a forced download on console. I don't want this stuff in my game. If it is really a forced upgrade i have to set up my loadorder with everything that i might need and has room and then keep the game offline for good.

Seems pretty clear everyone is getting this.

This is the new version of the game.

Yep, everyone is getting the AE update whether they buy the AE itself or not. That comes with the 3 DLCs they mentioned - Survival, Fishing, and the Saints & Seducers quest.

There is no staying offline forever btw. Steam doesn't work that way on PC, and everyone I've ever talked to on console has stated in no uncertain terms that the choice to update there doesn't exist. You WILL get the update.

There is no reason for all of the negative BS that's been generated by Ian's post on reddit. He knew what he was doing when he posted that, and IMO I find that to be very disappointing.

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

There is no reason for all of the negative BS that's been generated by Ian's post on reddit. He knew what he was doing when he posted that, and IMO I find that to be very disappointing.

I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, I feel like Ian's concerns here are more than warranted. But that's just me.

I get that it's a FREE update and that we should be supposedly grateful that the game is getting another facelift out of like, what? 8 billion other facelifts? But the fact that you're not given a choice on whether to accept the update --just in case you want to wait some time for SKSE and its mods to get updated-- as soon as it's pushed or later? That's just dumb.

Given the information we've already went through, I can hardly find a reason to defend Bethesda on this direction; given that we had to deal with this nonsense multiple times before through the course of CC's lifespan. It hardly seems fair.

3 minutes ago, Fowburner said:

I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, I feel like Ian's concerns here are more than warranted. But that's just me.

I get that it's a FREE update and that we should be supposedly grateful that the game is getting another facelift out of like, what? 8 billion other facelifts? But the fact that you're not given a choice on whether to accept the update --just in case you want to wait some time for SKSE and its mods to get updated-- as soon as it's pushed or later? That's just dumb.

Given the information we've already went through, I can hardly find a reason to defend Bethesda on this direction; given that we had to deal with this nonsense multiple times before through the course of CC's lifespan. It hardly seems fair.

When have you had the option to refuse a Skyrim update in the past?

Whilst Ian may be giving technically accurate information he foregrounds this as a problem for SKSE, rather than as a game update which (as a side effect) creates a problem for SKSE. Assuming this isn't a cynical move, and to be fair that's pointless, it's still been poorly handled.

4 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

When have you had the option to refuse a Skyrim update in the past?

I know that's a rhetorical question, but yeah; we've never been given the option since day one. And believe me, it was just as stupid then as it is now.

1 hour ago, Fowburner said:

I know that's a rhetorical question, but yeah; we've never been given the option since day one. And believe me, it was just as stupid then as it is now.

See, that's normal as far as I'm concerned after 20 years of modding games. Once upon a time an update broke all mods. This will only break the SKSE DLL and other DLL's that depend upon it. Once SKSE itself is fixed, apparently a few days, only dependent DLL's will be broken (presumably) and mods that just use added SKSE script functions should work as normal.

It's a pain, yes, hardly the end of the world.

As Sigurd hints at, this update isn't even going to be nearly as disruptive to things as the transition from LE to SE that the same doomsayers on reddit tried to sideline when it took place. The community got over it, as they should.

It's Bethesda's game. They can do with it as they see fit. It's up to us as the modding community to adapt or die.

With all due respect, I can't help but remain skeptical of reassurance. I've had to deal with several incidents where something came up that looked bad, only for someone to reassure me that it won't be that bad, only for it to ultimately turn out to be exactly that bad, far too many times than I care to list, and I refuse to allow myself to be disappointed like that again.

17 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

that the choice to update there doesn't exist.

That is not entirely correct. Although many people are just to lazy to look through options and just let the manufacturer decide how the console works. I have set my original xbone to not auto-update games,apps or the system which means there is a prompt that asks if i want to update when the console is online. And if i stay offline as long as i start or play Skyrim there will be no update (that way i avoided the No Insects update in Skyrim and the Acid Trip colors update in F4 - all exclusive features on xbone :crash: ). Of course the negative side of it is that i have no longer access to the mod servers. At least (other then F4) i can still manage the loadorder (activate, deactivate or move mods). Not sure how newer xbones work (S,X, or Series X) but i can avoid the Skyrim update as long as i accept the negative consequences.

Maybe I missed it, but I have a lot of SE mods tied to the Beth.net site (those you just select from Beth.net to add to your game).  Any word on how those will be affected?  Will they all basically turn off once AE comes out?  Clearly they were made specifically for SE so it's likely that some won't work with AE.  Or will AE even be tied to the Beth.net site at all?  Is Beth ready to just close that all down since they are giving away all the CC mods also?

3 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Maybe I missed it, but I have a lot of SE mods tied to the Beth.net site (those you just select from Beth.net to add to your game).  Any word on how those will be affected?  Will they all basically turn off once AE comes out?  Clearly they were made specifically for SE so it's likely that some won't work with AE.  Or will AE even be tied to the Beth.net site at all?  Is Beth ready to just close that all down since they are giving away all the CC mods also?

That is a good question, haven't thought about that yet. On the other hand, reading a little on beth.net, it seems like that: Owners of Skyrim SE on any platform get free access to the three CC items. (that gives me hope that i can choose to download them or not), owners of SSE on the new consoles get some free next gen upgrade (performance and graphics i assume) and finally all owners of SSE can BUY a upgrade for the AE.

Reading a bit more it ultimately comes to this: No one has to upgrade the game to AE unless purchasing it. Which would mean (and seeing that future owners of SE are mentioned) that SE will still continue to exist. And PC users are not getting a free upgrade to AE if all the information is correct here.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/REybYU3Gy2InVlHmus4UC/skyrim-10th-anniversary-fan-celebration?utm_source=Community&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=5405887113&linkId=130062982

4 hours ago, Rotzi said:

Reading a bit more it ultimately comes to this: No one has to upgrade the game to AE unless purchasing it. Which would mean (and seeing that future owners of SE are mentioned) that SE will still continue to exist. And PC users are not getting a free upgrade to AE if all the information is correct here.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/REybYU3Gy2InVlHmus4UC/skyrim-10th-anniversary-fan-celebration?utm_source=Community&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=5405887113&linkId=130062982

well there you go nothing to worry about no forced upgrade if I understand it correctly. One thing I would like to mention is that survival mode is one of the elements in the upgrade package. I already have that for free in one of the earlier give away actions think it was when the first launched CC but don't quote me I'm not a hundred percent which promotion it actually was.

You guys are missing what Carogriffi has repeatedly said several times now. ALL systems on ALL platforms will be getting the AE update because it's just an update to the core game with 3 additional DLCs attached.

Buying the actual "Anniversary Edition" does only one thing - it gets you copies of all 74 DLCs along with the core game. Those 74 DLCs are just like any other CC content that's been issued. You either own them or you don't, but your game doesn't care either way. It's the core update that matters here, and everyone is getting it.

I've been following this since it was first announced, and I must say that is amazing to see how consistently people overreact to things that are so easily avoided if only the proper steps are taken - you would think that this is really something earthshaking and new - LOL!  While it is good to have all the information laid out, the steps necessary to avoid the whole issue are very easy - set to not update and backup all necessary files just in case.  And even in a worst case scenario, things will eventually (and probably in a very short time) be updated to accommodate the changes made.    Really, the Nexus exit was far worse that this will ever be.  And, like all the other changes, after a little while, this current update situation will be a thing of the past and no longer significant.

Those of us who have been around a long time have encountered far worse things in the gaming and modding community.  As has been said by others in this thread, should your game require an update of mods due to the necessary preventive steps not having been taken, just play another game for a while - if nothing else, you may find another game that is enjoyable that has been sitting neglected in your library for some time - and when things do settle back down as far as Skyrim is concerned, you will be able to approach the game refreshed and with a renewed appreciation for it.

And since Bethesda will do what it is going to do no matter what, there is no sense raising your blood pressure and getting in an uproar about it.

Still, I can understand that people want to vent - and to the extent that posting allows people to get things off their chest, it is a good thing.  Especially if it helps them to keep their sanity in this totally insane world!

16 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

You guys are missing what Carogriffi has repeatedly said several times now. ALL systems on ALL platforms will be getting the AE update because it's just an update to the core game with 3 additional DLCs attached.

Buying the actual "Anniversary Edition" does only one thing - it gets you copies of all 74 DLCs along with the core game. Those 74 DLCs are just like any other CC content that's been issued. You either own them or you don't, but your game doesn't care either way. It's the core update that matters here, and everyone is getting it.

Can we turn the three added DLC off though.  For example I may want to play around with the S&S, but have no interest in adding survival mode.  Will there be an option to just select which ones we want?  If I'm forced to play with survival mode on it's likely I'll never touch Skyrim again.  :(

if its like other games you should be able to turn the plugin off. It would probably be best to turn off the ones you don't want then start a new game? or turn it off before loading your current save might be safe too.

10 hours ago, Uncus said:

if its like other games you should be able to turn the plugin off. It would probably be best to turn off the ones you don't want then start a new game? or turn it off before loading your current save might be safe too.

From what I understand, there is no "easy way" to disable Creations. I don't know WHY though but unless you drag the ESLs to a different folder, they CANNOT be disabled once downloaded... which is stupid.

The Survival DLC has a prompt that comes up if you play with it active to ask if you want to enable it or not. So while it may be active, it's not doing anything if you say no.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:06 AM, SkyLover said:

With all due respect, I can't help but remain skeptical of reassurance. I've had to deal with several incidents where something came up that looked bad, only for someone to reassure me that it won't be that bad, only for it to ultimately turn out to be exactly that bad, far too many times than I care to list, and I refuse to allow myself to be disappointed like that again.

The point is, no matter how disruptive it is it's much more disruptive not to update.

As has been said by others in this thread, should your game require an update of mods due to the necessary preventive steps not having been taken, just play another game for a while

Yeah, back to Oblivion! :wub:

The point is, no matter how disruptive it is it's much more disruptive not to update.

I doubt that, though I seldom play the SE version. My old gaming computer is cut off from the internet since years. Only for installing the games it was online. Steam is always in offline mode and not able to install any updates, or update itself. I decide, if I want that, not Steam. I download mods with my laptop and copy them over to my pc and vice versa, if I load up something into the net. Takes a bit time, yes, but it's worth to do. No updates, no trouble until now. If I need Steam, I log in with my laptop. This works for me, because I don't buy any other games - so no need to let Steam on my computer. ( What a happy time it was, when I held CDs and DVDs of my games in my own hands before Steam was born :lol:)

Maybe this will have compatibilty issues for upcoming mods, but I really don't care. There are a ton of working mods already I did not find the time to play, yet. I'm too busy with finishing my own stuff ;)

Oh wow.  A leaked piece of the CC stuff.  Now I am so excited!!! 

:sleeping:

Huh, cool, live fish in an aquarium. Might be just the incentive some people need to actually use the fishing DLC :P