Skyrim Anniversary Edition announced

DayDreamer

Yep. There exists a distinct possibility that we'll need a AE version of the USSEP. If there's any content updates designed for AE that's where things get nasty.

Cartogriffi has confirmed though that on the file level, the CC DLCs will still be individual packages so Garthand's patches should still work fine on those. It's the support added to Update.esm that's going to be the issue. We won't know a thing until November though.

I don't see much reason to buy the AE because none of the CC content interests me; that and I'm not interested in paying for bug fixes that should have been implemented years ago. I agree with Adella that all of this sounds like nothing more than a convenient cash grab. The only re-released addition that I think was worth paying for was SE due to it being ported into a new 64-bit engine, but even that could be considered a stretch since the original worked fine for the most part. I think I'll pass on this "upgrade" because it holds no value for me, though I can see why it would hold some for others.

In terms of gameplay all the CC content is very poor. :unsure:

In terms of localization (I'm a french player) the CC content is absolutely terrible. Even Google translation would achieve something better. :facepalm:

In terms of lore-friendliness the CC content is highly debatable, but once we are talking about modding we should consider it as an assumed evidence. And should we point once more that even Beth "official" lore already has lots of inconsistencies?

In terms of eye-candiness the CC has really nice things. But  while I love Elianora's work (as an example), some of her meshes and textures are terribly lacking polishing/optimization. :(

In terms of compatibility the CC contents carry their own dedicated resources and records. And for the AE generally speaking, I'd say that if it doesn't come with new CK and version-control upgrades then there shouldn't be any new problem.

In terms of uninstallation, atm and on PC, if I don't like a specific content then I set the brute-force mode ON: I just delete the associated files manually and reload a previous save that never heard about this content. On consoles (and due to the esl flag) it may be another story, but I can't tell...

In terms of price it is really overrated. The fact is that while the CC content is light and poor it generates A LOT of money, and Beth knows that. A continuous flow of light "low-cost" added content (please note the " ") is the key to make continuous profits with minimum efforts on a technically outdated game. Beth is not a charity organization, it's a corporation which aim is to make money. So, if they are really offering "for free" at least some partial CC content, then we should consider it as a bait intended to "open our hoarding appetite". While some of us are not receptive to these practices, we should keep in mind that the targets are mainly young people with few "financial means" and paying few attention to the real content value. There's no small profit... :unsure:

All speculation is only... speculation. And as Arthmoor said: "Let's just wait and see".

• 1 month later...

Pardon for reviving this thread, but I can't say I'm surprised: apparently since Anniversary Edition is coming as an UPDATE PATCH to Special Edition, it's basically going to royally screw over both Address Library and the Script Extender....AGAIN -- and the mods that depend on those. But worse, considering that a decent amount of native modders for SKSE will have closed up shop a while ago.

I am not happy to say the least, but I just want to ask... Why does AE even need to exist if all it does is bundle us with a fishing mechanic and a bunch of crappy CC mods? NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS RELEASE. Why not just make it a separate game altogether or even scrap this in favor of focusing more on either Starfield or ES6? I mean, I wouldn't be SO salty if AE had OPTIONAL multiplayer support and not the garbage we had with FO76 :/

I would assume that this is basically the last major thing that's going to happen for Skyrim, and since it's the 10th anniversary that makes it a good time to tie everything up nice and neat. After this I'd only expect to see CC content updates. It's entirely possible they've cooked up a way to do those in the future without having to recompile the program every time.

What doesn't make any sense is for everyone to sit around professing the doom & gloom and end of modding as we know it that that reddit post is stirring up. Yes, mods which use SKSE based DLLs are going to be impacted and may not be updated. So what? That leaves us with 95% of the rest of the community that won't be affected by this. There is no good reason to cause a panic and get everyone into a frenzy about permanently backing up outdated executeables and trying to hamstring Steam (which is folly at best - it will update you whether you want it or not eventually).

This update will be no more and no less inconvenient for those of us who don't rely on SKSE than any other.

15 minutes ago, Fowburner said:

Why not just make it a separate game altogether

From a modder's point of view, I think that would be the worst thing that could possibly happen.  Modders are already expected to make separate versions for Legendary Edition and Special Edition, not to mention XBox and Playstation ports.  Adding one more version to the workload would be unnecessarily onerous, in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

I would assume that this is basically the last major thing that's going to happen for Skyrim, and since it's the 10th anniversary that makes it a good time to tie everything up nice and neat. After this I'd only expect to see CC content updates. It's entirely possible they've cooked up a way to do those in the future without having to recompile the program every time.

What doesn't make any sense is for everyone to sit around professing the doom & gloom and end of modding as we know it that that reddit post is stirring up. Yes, mods which use SKSE based DLLs are going to be impacted and may not be updated. So what? That leaves us with 95% of the rest of the community that won't be affected by this. There is no good reason to cause a panic and get everyone into a frenzy about permanently backing up outdated executeables and trying to hamstring Steam (which is folly at best - it will update you whether you want it or not eventually).

This update will be no more and no less inconvenient for those of us who don't rely on SKSE than any other.

While I can agree that something like this ISN'T the absolute end-of-the-world scenario that my own paranoid self tends to paint it as [since its said there will eventually be updates to these mods made as this plays out next month], I fundamentally disagree with the notion that this update isn't going to be as inconvenient as we would believe, because, it is. Annoying, at best.

Skyrim, as a whole imho, much like any other Elder Scrolls title since Morrowind, has pretty much relied on a lot of mods to keep it's relevancy with how much one can change the way you play it, especially the lot of mods that heavily rely on SKSE. Bethesda has done nothing, as far as I have seen, to update how the game itself plays out and if you cut out ways to improve a player's experience, then what's the point in even playing the game anymore? Mods have kept this game afloat for as long as it has, and to heavily hamstring SKSE users like this isn't really a good way to introduce this new way to play the game.

We should NOT have to be strong-armed into accepting an update that breaks a lot of existing mods that more decent amount people use than what you'd claim is just "5%" of the game's playerbase. Its anti-consumer.

The problem with this logic is that it isn't breaking "a lot" of mods. It's breaking a relatively small number of them that people can absolutely play the game without.

There is NOTHING anti-consumer about any of this. If Bethesda were that type of company they'd have dumped Skyrim on the market 10 years ago and ignored it after that - but they haven't. This constant need of people to attack them for doing things that ultimately benefit us as a modding community NEEDS to stop.

SKSE is not necessary to mod the game. There are literally tens of thousands of mods out there that don't needed it. Many of them made by the most prominent mod authors in the community. It's absolutely true that these mods the reddit post is referring to make up a small minority of what's available, and two whole platforms will never be exposed to at all.

Also we as modders cannot take credit for these games remaining relevant all this time. Console users were playing Skryim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Morrowind on their units for years with no prospect of ever seeing a single mod, and they (whether we like it or not) are the vast majority of the market. People playing Skyrim years later on their 360s and PS3s are what kept the game relevant. The bulk of PC users who did the same without ever using a single mod did the same thing as well.

BGS once released a statistic that showed a mere 8% of PC users had ever used even one mod. If you take into account the fact that they didn't include Nexus stats, you can conservatively double that. Round up for the hell of it and you have 20% of the installed PC user base who has USED a mod, and it's a much smaller percentage than that of PC users who have MADE a mod. We aren't the massive influence reddit likes to make us out to be by any stretch. It's a truth nobody ever likes to hear, but it IS the truth.

7 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

The problem with this logic is that it isn't breaking "a lot" of mods. It's breaking a relatively small number of them that people can absolutely play the game without.

There is NOTHING anti-consumer about any of this. If Bethesda were that type of company they'd have dumped Skyrim on the market 10 years ago and ignored it after that - but they haven't. This constant need of people to attack them for doing things that ultimately benefit us as a modding community NEEDS to stop.

SKSE is not necessary to mod the game. There are literally tens of thousands of mods out there that don't needed it. Many of them made by the most prominent mod authors in the community. It's absolutely true that these mods the reddit post is referring to make up a small minority of what's available, and two whole platforms will never be exposed to at all.

While it's fair that the Script Extender isn't a hard requirement for playing the game, nor is it "necessary", I still argue that it at least breathes more diversity into a game that, imo, had oversimplified gameplay changes that really made it far too boring to play vanilla-wise, though that is possibly just coming from the fact that I played this game ever since it first released, so I guess it just comes from burnout for me? Many, including yourself may disagree with me on this sentiment, but that's how I feel.

BGS wouldn't get as NEARLY as much flack from us as it does it if actually opted to at least offer more gameplay features like what we've seen from modders like Distar, miken1ke, powerofthree, and the like. Ever since the beginning of 2020 alone there has been a bigger influx of impressive animation mods that depended on SKSE among other complimentary quality of life improvements. Sure, they may not be NECESSARY to enjoy the game, but I'd rather have THOSE over some fishing featuand a bunch of quests that spontaneously start when you make a new game.

Also we as modders cannot take credit for these games remaining relevant all this time. Console users were playing Skryim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Morrowind on their units for years with no prospect of ever seeing a single mod, and they (whether we like it or not) are the vast majority of the market. People playing Skyrim years later on their 360s and PS3s are what kept the game relevant. The bulk of PC users who did the same without ever using a single mod did the same thing as well.

BGS once released a statistic that showed a mere 8% of PC users had ever used even one mod. If you take into account the fact that they didn't include Nexus stats, you can conservatively double that. Round up for the hell of it and you have 20% of the installed PC user base who has USED a mod, and it's a much smaller percentage than that of PC users who have MADE a mod. We aren't the massive influence reddit likes to make us out to be by any stretch. 

I suppose that THAT alone only speaks volumes about how much they prioritize console users over PC users from the gitgo. It's something I absolutely loathe personally because it just feels like "hey you like playing this game on PC? well screw you then, am I right?" I mean with how buggy most of these games were on release for PC, it makes me wonder: Why even BOTHER giving these games a PC port to begin with if they prioritize consoles like this?

It's a truth nobody ever likes to hear, but it IS the truth.

I dunno about you, but there are some things I'll never accept as truth. This line of thought where "we just have to sit here and like what we're being given" is something I've never subscribed to. Like it'd be easy to vote with one's wallet and not give the game any more support, but there are too many people out there who continue vote incorrectly in that regard. But if they want to enjoy the game as it is, who am I to judge?

I love Skyrim, I really do. I love the experience the game's offered me and I love the possibilities presented for making the game unique for everyone. I want to hold on to the hope that Bethesda still has our best interest in mind and that AE itself is at least WORTH the amount of headaches it causes for some like myself, but as it stands, I'm just getting so tired of this.

I'm holding onto hopes that all this stuff with SKSE and the mods that depend on it get taken care of, at least the ones that I've vouched for, at least. Other than that, if I'm presented with this update and I have to basically wait until everything's updated and fixed, I might as well play Dark Souls when that comes on sale to at least kill SOME time till there's enough mods for AE for me to warrant playing that.

I dunno. I just don't have much faith in Bethesda after both the CC's inception itself and FO76.

That or the damn Mercury-in-retrograde has me needlessly worrying.

I can probably sit there over a few nights and bang out an updated version of SKSE

:woot: So in that case, a few nights won't be too much of an impact then. Nice to think Bethesda has our interests in mind, which ultimately means their best interests at heart. And the rep is sure to go up if Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion ever get a makeover as well. :) 

3 hours ago, lmstearn said:

And the rep is sure to go up if Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion ever get a makeover as well.

Yes, and IMO especially if that attention were turned toward modern renditions of Arena and Daggerfall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Yes, and IMO especially if that attention were turned toward modern renditions of Arena and Daggerfall.

Yeah ngl those DEFINITELY warrant a facelift.

I got Skyrim because I wanted to play a game, but then I got the Legendary Edition because every one else got it, after that i got Special Edition because it was suppose to be special, and now I will get the Anniversary Edition because it will be popular all because of Creation Club mods... and to think I have over 250 mods and I dont need to give my Skyrim a fancy name

On 10/13/2021 at 9:23 PM, Arthmoor said:

It's breaking a relatively small number of them that people can absolutely play the game without.

Admittedly, we PC users are spoiled, because we can fix the bugs. I've no idea why anybody plays this on a console.

But I'd found the game incredibly tedious until SkyUI.

SSE Engine Fixes and lately Scrambled Bugs are fairly essential.

• Like 2

Yes, the UI is less than ideal for PC, but the game is still entirely playable without SkyUI.

SSE Engine Fixes and Scrambled Bugs are by no means essential. Plenty of people are playing the game without them, myself included, because they don't offer enough to offset the problems they can cause - like instigating an FPS drop in Riften when they're supposed to "fix" that instead. I for one have never had any such drop in Riften and I have enough mods that they claim it will happen 100% of the time. It does not.

The one that's supposed to fix the issues with the CK instead resulted in 3 corrupted mods I had to restore from backups, so I'll NEVER trust installing that one again.

These things are not all unicorns and roses for everyone.

• Like 2

well which ever way it goes your load order is your own responsibility, there are tools that can help you but you have the last say. If anything goes wrong its usually your own fault and not the fault of one of the gazillion modes you are running.

6 hours ago, Sah said:

I got Skyrim because I wanted to play a game, but then I got the Legendary Edition because every one else got it, after that i got Special Edition because it was suppose to be special, and now I will get the Anniversary Edition because it will be popular all because of Creation Club mods... and to think I have over 250 mods and I dont need to give my Skyrim a fancy name

Maybe you could call it Sah's Game. how you doing mate.

10 hours ago, Uncus said:

Maybe you could call it Sah's Game. how you doing mate.

what about Sahlander .... or Sah Land witch is the name of my NEW Discord channel ... coming soon to a Discord near you (opening in December)  :popcorn:

doing OK thanks for asking, how are you doing? ...

living with the virus next door is very stressful & soul destroying, actually out of 15 units, 11 units are infected :fear: ... Im really scared & am play my best life game to not get infected

playing a lot of ESO, Witcher 3 and uhmmm and FIFA 22 ... getting Warhammer 2 next week so that will be fun

making a Witche 3 TV series ... much better than Netflix and its free

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sah said:

what about Sahlander .... or Sah Land witch is the name of my NEW Discord channel ... coming soon to a Discord near you (opening in December)  :popcorn:

doing OK thanks for asking, how are you doing? ...

living with the virus next door is very stressful & soul destroying, actually out of 15 units, 11 units are infected :fear: ... Im really scared & am play my best life game to not get infected

playing a lot of ESO, Witcher 3 and uhmmm and FIFA 22 ... getting Warhammer 2 next week so that will be fun

making a Witche 3 TV series ... much better than Netflix and its free

So you have a new project and a new game focus. I suppose you get fed up with doing the same games after a time and need something new to work on. I have watched one of your witcher videos the first I think the others I have to get to later. I am really intrigued how you do this, I have not played this witcher game yet but this looks like you are using actual game footage in some way. What ever you are doing it looks and sounds good. I did play the original game and at the time enjoyed it but the second was for me not so good in that it did not hold my imagination. Number 3 I have not yet bought although I do think it is a story I will try to get back to at some point. Don't forget to send me an invite to your new Discord once it is up and running.

Hearing you are feeling threatened by the closeness of the covid virus in your area, can only say to that I hoe you make it out to the other side. To be honest I have little or no contact with or trouble from the pandemic. Yes we had lock down but as I worked in a vital work sector, public transport I was able to continue working and get to my job. Here in The Netherlands we are nearly back to normal. Most people are vaccinated and infection numbers are low now.

So what am I up to, playing a new game called Medieval Dynasty. It is a fun game to play but it is still evolving as well its only just come out of early access and there are plans for new content to be added as it is developed but it is perfectly playable right now.

Now I am retired I am re learning my old hobby of photography and making myself keep in shape by trying to walk as much as possible and get my steps up to 10000 a day at the moment it averages out at around 7000. To help me with that I am getting a German Shepherd pup soon once it is 8 weeks old. I have been cohabiting with German Shepherds most of my life and am really looking forward to it. 

On 10/14/2021 at 3:11 AM, Fowburner said:

While it's fair that the Script Extender isn't a hard requirement for playing the game, nor is it "necessary", I still argue that it at least breathes more diversity into a game that, imo, had oversimplified gameplay changes that really made it far too boring to play vanilla-wise, though that is possibly just coming from the fact that I played this game ever since it first released, so I guess it just comes from burnout for me? Many, including yourself may disagree with me on this sentiment, but that's how I feel.

BGS wouldn't get as NEARLY as much flack from us as it does it if actually opted to at least offer more gameplay features like what we've seen from modders like Distar, miken1ke, powerofthree, and the like. Ever since the beginning of 2020 alone there has been a bigger influx of impressive animation mods that depended on SKSE among other complimentary quality of life improvements. Sure, they may not be NECESSARY to enjoy the game, but I'd rather have THOSE over some fishing featuand a bunch of quests that spontaneously start when you make a new game.

I suppose that THAT alone only speaks volumes about how much they prioritize console users over PC users from the gitgo. It's something I absolutely loathe personally because it just feels like "hey you like playing this game on PC? well screw you then, am I right?" I mean with how buggy most of these games were on release for PC, it makes me wonder: Why even BOTHER giving these games a PC port to begin with if they prioritize consoles like this?

I dunno about you, but there are some things I'll never accept as truth. This line of thought where "we just have to sit here and like what we're being given" is something I've never subscribed to. Like it'd be easy to vote with one's wallet and not give the game any more support, but there are too many people out there who continue vote incorrectly in that regard. But if they want to enjoy the game as it is, who am I to judge?

I love Skyrim, I really do. I love the experience the game's offered me and I love the possibilities presented for making the game unique for everyone. I want to hold on to the hope that Bethesda still has our best interest in mind and that AE itself is at least WORTH the amount of headaches it causes for some like myself, but as it stands, I'm just getting so tired of this.

I'm holding onto hopes that all this stuff with SKSE and the mods that depend on it get taken care of, at least the ones that I've vouched for, at least. Other than that, if I'm presented with this update and I have to basically wait until everything's updated and fixed, I might as well play Dark Souls when that comes on sale to at least kill SOME time till there's enough mods for AE for me to warrant playing that.

I dunno. I just don't have much faith in Bethesda after both the CC's inception itself and FO76.

That or the damn Mercury-in-retrograde has me needlessly worrying.

To be honest, I find all this rather bizarre. Skyrim SE has remained in low-level active development for about four-five years after release. The tail end of that is the AE which is updating the exe with a new compiler, and you get this upgrade for free. The alternative is an AE version of Skyrim that is basically the same as SE, but with CC content bundled in and an optimised exe. Someone was complaining earlier that they don't want to buy AE for the low value proposition it represents. Well, now we know that you don't have to - essentially AE is just bundled CC content, everybody else gets the upgrade part for free.

The alternative, to release another full-price version of the game with no new content and just an updated exe file would be much worse, that would be a cynical cash grab and anti-consumer.

This, this is just the game getting an update - and update that happens to break SKSE.

16 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

This, this is just the game getting an update - and update that happens to break SKSE.

And it's a very temporary breakage that Ian himself said he can have done in a few days. DAYS people, not years like some of the overblown hype on reddit is trying to convince you of.

We all surely have other games in our backlogs. Maybe break one of them out for the week that the update spree is active. You might find you actually enjoy that other game enough to want to mod it too, and then the modding community is better for it.

That still doesn't address one of the questions raised though: What about SKSE dependent mods whose authors have long since left the modding scene? What of their stuff? Would that simply be left to become lost data, or would it at least be left in someone else's hands?

35 minutes ago, Fowburner said:

That still doesn't address one of the questions raised though: What about SKSE dependent mods whose authors have long since left the modding scene? What of their stuff? Would that simply be left to become lost data, or would it at least be left in someone else's hands?

Considering the only thing which needs to change to SKSE will be the hooks, it is quite probable that the SKSE functionality will continue as before. 

1 hour ago, Fowburner said:

They die.

This is the Way.

Once upon a time, major updates to the game breaking mods was common.

One would hape that someone else will create another version of the same mod.

There will unfortunately be problems with SKSE. They use Visual Studio 2019 and NOT Visual Studio 2015 for this new Anniversary Edition.