Uploading Rules

Worldsong

Hi. I just joined this site primarily because I'm currently remodding my Oblivion games with new updates that I could find. One of those mods was Arthmoor's village mods, specifically the Faregyl one - I'll post a separate topic on that elsewhere. Anyway, I was surprised to see that village mods, etc. were no longer on Nexus and I saw his message on his user page there. Fortunately, I remembered this site and decided to see if I could find out more about that. I did learn more about Nexus' new TOS and why authors like Arthmoor were leaving in that topic devoted to that issue.

Thus I decided to join here so I could at least keep up to date with his and other mods here. Now on to why I created this topic: I have an old Oblivion mod called The Secrets of Blacksmithing (35472 on Nexus) and I liked previously and upon reinstalling it realized it conflicted with the various Weye mods I'm using. Since the mod hasn't been updated since October 2010, I decided to try fixing the issue by using various tutorials on TESAlliance, etc. to learn how how use the Construction Kit. I was able to create a fix by simply moving the building to elsewhere in Weye and slight changes to the pathgrids.

Now that I've created this, I thought about posting this mod change to Nexus, as the mod author had this in his description:

>Licensing/Legal
>===============
>You can do whatever you want with this mod but all I ask in return is that
>you give me credit if you distribute any part of this mod.

Upon reading the info about Nexus's TOS change topic and the TOS on here, it seems like I probably wouldn't be allowed to post it on here, right? (maybe a clarification to the TOS might be needed to say such info pasted above wouldn't count as permission) So I'm asking for your opinions on what I can do about this mod change I've made as I think others might like it as well. I suspect that I could probably post it on Nexus, since the mod's so old and the original author hasn't been seen since April this year, as I know I don't really own the mod. I did send a PM to him on Nexus (this was before I found this stuff out today) asking about permission, but don't really expect an answer from him.

So, thoughts on this? It would be much appreciated, thanks!

The Perms look fine. Even if they were not you could create a patch and upload it here without issue.  A patch would be a separate esp that makes your changes and requires the original mod as a master.

The proper thing to do would be to create a patch, not edit the original mod and upload it.

6 hours ago, Hana said:

The proper thing to do would be to create a patch, not edit the original mod and upload it.

Right, although it depends on how much you need to alter the original mod. If it's just a case of resolving conflicts I'd try to resolve it with a patch, if you need to re-write major parts of the mod then a new version might be justified. This author clearly intended to have open permissions, after all.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I don't really know all that much about using the Construction Set - still learning my way there with various tutorials. Bascally, all I did was move the Weye Smithy and its outside stuff from its original cell to a new cell just outside Weye by Fort Nikel. This was because other spots inside Weye with the various Weye mods I'm using weren't really suitable without some landscape modification, and I really didn't want to deal with that as it likely would mess up the other mods as well.  Thus the *only* changes I made to the Secrets of Blacksmithing mod was moving its Weye building and outside stuff to another cell outside Weye along with removing pathgrid nodes under it in the new cell & adjusting the nodes around it. Thus what I have is more a replacer esp than a patch, for as far as I can tell, its new location won't affect the Weye mods unless they change the landscaping in its original Weye location.

My question about uploading was more because the TOS here says I would need the mod author's "explicit permission" and I wasn't sure whether the quote I put in my original post would count? Also, there's the question of Nexus' new TOS. From what I can tell, it sounds like they're going to claim exclusive distributing rights to all mods still there. If my mod change were to be accepted here, would that be considered a violation of their TOS? I certainly don't want Arthmoor/AFKMods to possibly be sued by Nexus for allowing my version of their mod on here. This even though I kinda agree with others on the other topic that their new TOS is likely not going to stand up in court.

"You can do whatever you want with this mod but all I ask in return is that you give me credit if you distribute any part of this mod."

That is an open permission to do what you want with the mod as long as the author is credited for their work. You are free to upload it here.

I know nothing about the nexus TOS, I believe they are claiming that if you upload your work there then they have permanent rights to distribute it. I do not think it states they have sole distribution rights to the work.

Keep in mind some mods may use assets from other mods that may require more permissions but that would be clearly stated in the Mod description.

As long as we are on the topic of permissions. I have been the overseer for all of Antiscamp's Villages on Nexus for several years now. With blanket authorization to perform whatever updates. I made contact with Antiscamp last week regarding my intended move to AFK. Was given permission to upload the mods over here. Have a PM exchange that I can screenshot to verify, if that is needed.

Just wanted to post a heads up so there are no surprises when I make that move.

Same goes for Trails Of Cyrodiil. Malachi Delacot gave me authorization years back to revamp the mods as I see fit. And I've made a few iterations now. The most recent, unified version, will be moving over here very soon. Can provide back up if necessary.

If the mod you're uploading is not your own, as long as you have documented permission on hand if needed then that's fine.

Which goes back to Wordsong's original question. No permission, no upload here. Period.

Either create a proper patch mod, or keep it for you own personal use.

1 hour ago, Hana said:

Which goes back to Wordsong's original question. No permission, no upload here. Period.

Either create a proper patch mod, or keep it for you own personal use.

Hana, Who exactly are you talking to?  From what I can see both of these users have the proper perms.

Based on the Nexus permissions of the mod in question, @Worldsong, looks like you are free to do as you will to the mod. Bare in mind that the changes you made are specific to your game setup and may cause conflicts to others.

Leaving this here to show more clear permissions than what was quoted by the readme and closing this discussion.

perms.thumb.jpg.e634253083ccce2722f7d3d38ae2b439.jpg

This was a unique case and does not negate the forum policy as stated by Arthmoor above.

• Hana locked this topic