ESO sale

LeBurns

So I can get ESO on STEAM right now for $8 until August 31st.  For someone who is 'single player only', should I bite the bullet and give it a try?

Note, I'm really ticked that I can't make a green orc (I've seen the options on YouTube) but figure I can try another race.

If I do get it, is there some other additional bundle I should get to make the game better (something needed or worth getting)?

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

For someone who is 'single player only', should I bite the bullet and give it a try?

As a single-player only person myself,  I say "Yes."  I play ESO as though it were a gigantic single-player game.  I don't group, don't do raids, don't join guilds.  I play ESO exactly the way I play Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.  Other players are merely NPCs with unpredictable AI  to me.  :lol:

This offer is a fantastic deal.  You'll be getting the original game, plus the Morrowind expansion (as an old Morrowind player I love that expansion).  It will most likely take hundreds upon hundreds of hours to go through all that content with even one character, not to mention multiple characters.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good.  I think I'll just start with the base game and see if I need anything else.  I didn't see anything in the 'Newcomer Pack' that was really needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeBurns said:

So I can get ESO on STEAM right now for $8 until August 31st.  For someone who is 'single player only', should I bite the bullet and give it a try?

Note, I'm really ticked that I can't make a green orc (I've seen the options on YouTube) but figure I can try another race.

If I do get it, is there some other additional bundle I should get to make the game better (something needed or worth getting)?

Thanks.

Greetings brother!

I asked myself the same thing because I've seen some impressive footage of this game.  However, it is an MMO and plagued by all the same issues as other MMO's like having a hundred other folks running around in game ruining your screenshot opportunities, running in to steal your loot and XP and just generally getting in your way.  Being a fellow member of the "Grumpy Old Men" society, I found Grandma Shirley's ESO plays most helpful.  

This is her first play ever...

There are three of them in total to my knowledge.  Then Shirley grew weary from the aforementioned issues and hasn't played it since... at least not on camera.

ESO is a beautiful game.  I would love to play if it were available for coop play rather than open, public servers.  As is, Uncus and I are planning to join up for a bit of coop play in Total War Empire.  Just let us know if you are interested.  I just purchased the game on Steam and will be running some single player gameplay over the weekend.  Uncus even made a couple of videos for me to see the gameplay available on his Bryan the Smith YT channel.  

No pressure, merely a suggestion for something different.  Uncus and I both enjoy history and historical fiction.  So Empire looks pretty cool for that kind of historic RTS play... well... it's a hybrid design between turn based strategy and real time warfare.  So, have a look if that sounds like something you might like.  Neither of us are into MMO's for the reasons mentioned above and a few others.  But, it's been a long while since either of us have played any coop.  So, rather than try to play Risk via Skype, Uncus showed me Empire:highfive:  Looks like a good bit of fun with some strategic challenge to boot. 

No worries if you're not into the strategy games.  Uncus and I still have SSE at our core as favorite game as I'm sure you can relate.  I've also purchased some new single player games as well like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Outer Worlds.  Single player games will most likely remain my primary focus.  But, a bit of coop play with friends online should be a pleasant diversion as well. :) 

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  I like Pseron Wyrd's take on viewing the other players as npc with unpredictable AI.  If you are able to see them in that light, then you should enjoy ESO.  I just cannot make that connection myself, more's the pity.  It really is a beautiful game.

• Like 2

For $8 it's definitely worth it even if the deal doesn't include anything more than the basic content. It'll keep you busy for weeks to months depending on how often you play.

• Like 2

Coincidentally, my friend Shelly Mars is buying the Collector's Edition today.  She has the base game and Morrowind expansion but has never purchased the later expansions.  She wants to get back into the game and it's cheaper to buy the Collector's Edition right now than to buy separate expansions.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

Greetings brother!

I asked myself the same thing because I've seen some impressive footage of this game.  However, it is an MMO and plagued by all the same issues as other MMO's like having a hundred other folks running around in game ruining your screenshot opportunities, running in to steal your loot and XP and just generally getting in your way.  Being a fellow member of the "Grumpy Old Men" society, I found Grandma Shirley's ESO plays most helpful.  

This is her first play ever...

There are three of them in total to my knowledge.  Then Shirley grew weary from the aforementioned issues and hasn't played it since... at least not on camera.

ESO is a beautiful game.  I would love to play if it were available for coop play rather than open, public servers.  As is, Uncus and I are planning to join up for a bit of coop play in Total War Empire.  Just let us know if you are interested.  I just purchased the game on Steam and will be running some single player gameplay over the weekend.  Uncus even made a couple of videos for me to see the gameplay available on his Bryan the Smith YT channel.  

No pressure, merely a suggestion for something different.  Uncus and I both enjoy history and historical fiction.  So Empire looks pretty cool for that kind of historic RTS play... well... it's a hybrid design between turn based strategy and real time warfare.  So, have a look if that sounds like something you might like.  Neither of us are into MMO's for the reasons mentioned above and a few others.  But, it's been a long while since either of us have played any coop.  So, rather than try to play Risk via Skype, Uncus showed me Empire:highfive:  Looks like a good bit of fun with some strategic challenge to boot. 

No worries if you're not into the strategy games.  Uncus and I still have SSE at our core as favorite game as I'm sure you can relate.  I've also purchased some new single player games as well like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Outer Worlds.  Single player games will most likely remain my primary focus.  But, a bit of coop play with friends online should be a pleasant diversion as well. :) 

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  I like Pseron Wyrd's take on viewing the other players as npc with unpredictable AI.  If you are able to see them in that light, then you should enjoy ESO.  I just cannot make that connection myself, more's the pity.  It really is a beautiful game.

I love historical games, even way back history (why I like Far Cry Primal so much).  But it's the 'R' in RTS that kill me.  I'm like a chess player that wants to sit back and think about my moves (NPC's lives are at stake!) so RTS's don't thrill me much.  I think the last I played was the original Starcraft games, which I enjoyed, but could never compete with other real players ... or zerg rushes.

I'm not sure I can ignore the erratic NPC's.  I did roll a new toon on my brothers account and took it through the tutorial, but as soon as I got to the Nordic town (wherever it was) the other players really put me out of the game zone.  I may try again, just to hook up with my brother sometimes.  Not sure what zone to start in though since I really know nothing about them.

• Like 2

Got it.  Still installing ...

I think I want to play a Wood Elf Warden, though I'm not sure if you can really role-play in this game or if you just min/max everything to grind through tougher enemies.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, LeBurns said:

I'm not sure if you can really role-play in this game or if you just min/max everything to grind through tougher enemies.

I don't min/max when I play ESO.  I approach ESO the same way I approach the single-player games:  I create a character with a personality and backstory and I attempt, as much as possible, to take only those actions that are appropriate to that character.  Myself, I have no problem doing that in ESO.  But others may have a different experience.  *shrugs*

I am a firm believer that what we do in a roleplaying game is our own responsibility.  I do not let let a developer (or other players) tell me how to play.  I believe that the choice to min/max in online games belongs solely to the player, just as it does in single-player games.   

• Like 2

Hmm, just realized I can't give Wood Elves the solid black eyes I like from Morrowind.  Dang no green Orcs and no black eyed Bosmer.  This game is making it really hard just to get past the CC.

Could try a Dunmer I guess, which may make sense because I have the Morrowind expansion also included.  But would a Dunmer be a Warden?  They seem more destruction magic focused.  Course I could always get creative with a background I suppose.

I suspect it will be several days before I leave the CC.

• Like 1

Hmm ... I'm still working on the CC, but also researching.

Notably on companions.  I thought since I only play SP I would want or need them, but apparently there are not any (unless you get Blackwood, which adds 2).  I kind of liked the companions I could add in SWTOR, using them as backup, having back stories, even romance, just kind of used to flesh your character and role-play out.  But it seems there is nothing like  that in ESO.  Is that right or am I missing something?

• Like 1

The first two companions were added with the Blackwood expansion this past June.   I think most folks see this as a "proof-of-concept" addition, a framework that will be greatly improved and extended upon in the future.  At this time they cannot be married (but then neither can most of Star Wars: The Old Republic's companions).  

Here is the UESP page on ESO companions for more detailed info on companion quests, perks, rapport and more:  https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Companions

• Like 1

It is on sale for 8€ in the xbone store and i have myself asked the same thing: should i try it? But the answer was no. Who am i to argue with myself? :lmao:

• Like 2

Not for me either, tried once soon after launch when it was on trial free to play or something. Did not like it at all, sorry not my bag. Co-op with mates around the Tess series would be great, Adventuring together more my speed.

• Like 2

Game just went F2P for about a week and the crowns are on sale.

Questions, is buying crowns worth it at all?  I could get 1,500 crowns on sale right now for $12.  But what can I do with 1,500 crowns?

I have several thousand Crowns and have not spent them yet.  The only thing that interests me in the Crown Store are new hairstyles and I haven't felt a need to buy any of them yet.  So, basically, I guess my advice is to not spend your money on Crowns.  I think the game is perfectly enjoyable without buying a single thing from the Crown Store.  But it's up to you.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:55 AM, Uncus said:

Not for me either, tried once soon after launch when it was on trial free to play or something. Did not like it at all, sorry not my bag. 

The game has evolved a lot since launch. Much of the system has been revamped. As a few others mentioned I was hesitant at first. But it is possible to play as a single player and enjoy very much. Although I am a guild member and do group, not often mind you. I'm mostly a guild member so I can sell on the guild store. Mass amounts of gold are most helpful.

I thought if I end up playing a Warden that having a pet sidekick would be a fit role-playing wise.  Maybe some Warden looking armor?  If I did spend some it would be for role-playing reasons.

Well Silaqui Silvertree lives (sort of).  Wood Elf Warden.  Actually based off an old D&D character I played 30 some years ago.

20210819204030_1.jpg

Well she's still in the tutorial.  I'm looting everything and inventory is full.  I have no idea what to keep or destroy.  Getting ready to cross a courtyard now.

BTW I bought the starter kit with the black lion cub (thought it would fit the role-play) and also the Bosmer armor 'costume'.  When and how do I access those?  Also curious as to how costumes work.  Does it mean my armor is still what I put on normally but I just look different?

Archery really sucks in this game.  I mean, maybe I'll figure it out, but it's nothing like Skyrim for sure.

Okay, well I got out of the tutorial.  None of the starting locations sounded very 'wood elfie' so I went to somewhere to start the AD main quest.  Some island with pirates.  I got my costume on.  Got my pet out.  And I have no clue what I'm supposed to do next.  I mean I'm just standing there on the beach with other characters fighting each other (I assume some or random NPC's).  I can't make a clue of the game stats or inventory.  These few random screenshots may be it.  I literally have no desire to go back since I have no clue what I'm supposed to do.  Weird game.

20210820181753_1.jpg

20210820180215_1.jpg

20210820182011_1.jpg

20210820181810_1.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I have no clue what I'm supposed to do next.  

Heh, this reminds me so much of all the folks back in the early Morrowind days who felt lost in the beginning.  Same problem, different game.  :lol:

Aldmeru Dominion is my favorite of the three main faction questlines.   Once in Khenarthi's Roost, speak to Razum-dar.  He will guide you through the quest line.  This picture of him on his UESP page will help you identify him: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Razum-dar   

Good luck!

• Like 3