New registrations, email validation, and account deletion requests

Arthmoor

Over the last week or two, there has been a large increase in new member registrations. We welcome everyone who is joining us here and hope you enjoy your stay.

However, there is a growing problem being noticed with a portion of these accounts. People are attempting to register with fake email addresses or with addresses they somehow no longer have access to. When you do this, we are unable to help you with any registration problems as there will be no way to verify who you are. If you do not provide a valid address, the validation step will bounce and your account will not be approved. We do not do manual approvals here.

One other thing to check if you're positive the address you used is good, but you've not received the email, is your spam folders. Services like GMail and Yahoo will often dump forum validation requests into the spam folders because they see it as unwanted email even though it's the most common validation practice there is.

Please also be aware that we cannot act on a request to delete an account when sent through the "Contact Us" link. There is no means to validate you are who you say you are since that link is also available for Guest use. If you wish to request an account deletion, you need to access your Account Settings (click the drop menu on your name, it's in that menu) and select the option to delete your account. Deletion requests will be handled as the staff has time to process them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, Arthmoor said:

... People are attempting to register with fake email addresses or with addresses they somehow no longer have access to

I feel attacked. 

Heh. Forgetting about an old account from back in the day is different :P

You'd be surprised how many people think that trying to sign up for the first time with an account that's bogus in some way is just going to magically work.

Please also be aware that we cannot act on a request to delete an account when sent through the "Contact Us" link. There is no means to validate you are who you say you are since that link is also available for Guest use.

If there was some secret loophole to deleting someone else's account, I doubt it'd be THAT easy lol. Almost can't believe people tried that.

• 11 months later...

On email validation and keeping emails current ... one site I subscribe too sends out a re-validation email each year on the anniversary of the date you joined.  If the email is returned as "undeliverable", the account is immediately suspended (can't log in and a message is displayed).  If the validation response is not replied to in five days, the account is suspended.  After 30 days, suspended accounts are deleted. 

The way to get your account out of suspension is to validate your email again. 

• 1 year later...

Please also be aware that we cannot act on a request to delete an account when sent through the "Contact Us" link. There is no means to validate you are who you say you are since that link is also available for Guest use. If you wish to request an account deletion, you need to access your Account Settings (click the drop menu on your name, it's in that menu) and select the option to delete your account. Deletion requests will be handled as the staff has time to process them.

Hello, cleaning up my password manager right now. For the life of me I can't find the delete option in the account settings menu. Also I guess this is an account deletion request. Great community though, will prolly come back at some point

Over 2 hours of looking up and answering security questions. Your security is retarded. Case sensative or not that was horrifying. I can't imagine anyone doing that with a fake account. Who has that kind of time.

Edited by Pinpric
38 minutes ago, Pinpric said:

I can't imagine anyone doing that with a fake account.

I can.  We've ben hit with malicious spam accounts several times this year.  I'd hate to think what would happen if AFK relaxed their registration requirements.

I get the diverse questions, but i must have been through over 100 attempts easy. so much so i was getting repeats of the same questions commonly. Hense why i could comment on the case sensative or not.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:03 PM, Pinpric said:

I get the diverse questions, but i must have been through over 100 attempts easy. so much so i was getting repeats of the same questions commonly. Hense why i could comment on the case sensative or not.

And yet, some of the bots can answer those questions. At this point we're going to need retina scans.