My Stuff Uncus

Uncus

So here he is, Bruce will be coming to live with us. Basic training starts as soon as he meats the cats, Jack, Bo and Stevie (Nix).B03F9CA9-29DB-40C4-9077-67C18DD91D37.jpeg.a5665dc0e106369847bc3de36119f7c8.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, Uncus said:

say oooh aah.

oooh aah :hug:

My family always had dogs so i like them. I'm just a liitle bit more of a cat person. :)

For information, my profile picture now is my cat Charlie. Now that i have a better cell phone i could make a picture and transfer it on pc. The old one a few months ago was just some similar cat from random internet picture.

I'm looking forward to see more of your new cute dog. :popcorn: And the old Bruce must have been a really good friend.

well Bruce is safely at home now and settling in. Our three cats are wondering what this clumsy strange beast is. Although they do grudgingly agree to share to occupy the same room for short periods. He has all but got used to his bench and quietens down quite quickly now I may get a bit more sleep

image.jpeg.345d06b696946982a5b7ad4505ac8b8d.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Uncus said:

on the way in post production.

yea  ... we want to know, did he get his double flee shot? .... your not going to cut his thingamagig ... uhmm you know? ... anti-reproduction stuff thing?

• Haha 2

yes he has all his shot up to date and I am not having his dangly bits removed, my take is if you cant control your dog with his balls you cant do it without them either.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 7:28 PM, Uncus said:

yes he has all his shot up to date and I am not having his dangly bits removed, my take is if you cant control your dog with his balls you cant do it without them either.

well said ... must save the dangly bits for the greater good of dogmanity ... you know birds and the bees stuff

On 1/18/2022 at 3:28 AM, Uncus said:

Particularly with an indoor dog, there are certain behaviors that manifest themselves much more with an 'unfixed' dog.  Granted this is much more the case with females.  When the bitch is in heat it's not exactly something you can ignore.  With males it's the instinct to 'mark their territory' that gets curbed when fixed.  Having dog urine sprayed all over the house might be great to the dog, but not so much the owners.

Where I live there are so many unwanted dogs though, the animal control shelters are overflowing and culling daily.  It's a sad fate for such animals and fixing them seems more humane than not where I'm from.  Granted when living out on the ranch in the mid-West the only animals we fixed were cattle and pigs, and at least you have something to eat when the deed is done.

• Like 2

I have had dogs most of my life, and as you say a female in heat can leave quite a mess and for that reason we have had the few female dogs we have had spayed for that reason. One thing we have never had is a male that marks inside the house and they have al kept their equipment. We teach them to mark outside. The other problem you mention of over full pounds is I admit heart breaking but the cause is owners who do not make sure that their dogs do not mate except when they want them to and never just for the hell of it, or abandoned or free roaming dogs that run around on their own without supervision from their owners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

Particularly with an indoor dog, there are certain behaviors that manifest themselves much more with an 'unfixed' dog.  Granted this is much more the case with females.  When the bitch is in heat it's not exactly something you can ignore.  With males it's the instinct to 'mark their territory' that gets curbed when fixed.  Having dog urine sprayed all over the house might be great to the dog, but not so much the owners.

Where I live there are so many unwanted dogs though, the animal control shelters are overflowing and culling daily.  It's a sad fate for such animals and fixing them seems more humane than not where I'm from.  Granted when living out on the ranch in the mid-West the only animals we fixed were cattle and pigs, and at least you have something to eat when the deed is done.

i live in a rural area, and dogs and cats, fixed or not, pose a real problem.  People just dump them off out here in the desert, figuring they will either die or make a life for themselves. 

The dogs that survive go feral run in packs.  We have had a case of a young person waiting at the school bus stop endangered by a pack of feral dogs.  A gentleman had every one of his chickens killed.  A goatherd had four goats disemboweled by feral dogs.   

But the cats are worse.  We have birds that winter over in our desert.  But in some areas, the birds are no more.  One area has been denuded of small mammals, rabbits, mice, voles, etc.  The cats have actually been declared an ecological disaster.  

And we cannot call the local pound or animal control to come take care of the animals.  We have to call the County, State or Federal land administrators, who have no facilities for dealing with these animals.  We used to periodically have hunts to get the animals back under control until some local Animal Rights Activist made a stink and the State and County said "no more".   And even when we manage to catch one, our shelters are also overflowing.  Because nobody wants to adopt a dog or cat that has gone feral, the animals just wind up getting euthanized (it would have been cheaper to let us just shoot them). 

So, unless you are using your animal for breeding, be responsible and neuter your animal.  It has nothing to do with your ability to control your animal, but everything to do with other people controlling their animals.  Unless your animal is caged while you are not present, it will breed if it can. 

I disagree neutering house hold pets that belong to responsible owners who make sure their pets do not get the chance to mate. Its the fault of the a- holes who should never be aloud to own any animal of any kind, and dump them when they become a to much trouble to look after, the kind of thing you are describing just does not happen in anything like the level you describe in the part of Europe I live in. Feral dogs are almost non existent, cats on the other hand are a different story. The birds and small mammals suffer a lot, to counter that there are many charities that catch these cats and rehouse them if possible or sterilize then then release back to the wild which is showing a decrease in the problem as the birthrate is lowered. Its not perfect but I get the impression that the problem is far worse where you are than here. So the two situations are probably not comparable.

PS the animal rights activist you mention should have been educated as to the danger to wild life these feral animals represent and government should be ashamed of their knee jerk reaction and obvious lack of knowledge of the situation. If possible these problems should be solve humanely but there are times when drastic measures are nessercery.

Odd how things how things are different and even the same across different countries or even in the same country.

Here's some cats at my grandad's house waiting on him to finish milking the cows and fill their milk bowl.  Non-fixed of course, they work to keep rodents away from the farm.

704238729_CatsCats.thumb.JPG.8c4c0a7b54b534731a61bddbe068814e.JPG

Here is the reason why a year later there were no cats at grandad's house.

64174389_HornedOwl.thumb.JPG.cea99c272f6464be694d29e6badf577f.JPG

How do feral cats and dogs come about?

• Birthday or gifts for other occasions, friends and relatives mean well, but haven't given it too much thought, so more careless than caring.
  • Someone dies, another offers to look after the pets, but the pets (especially the cats) get the urge to leave in order to find their owner.
  • Folks who like to keep a lot of pets, but some of the pets are not happy with the arrangement for a variety of reasons, so don't hang around.
  • Folks who don't have the heart (or resources) to euthanise their pets so dump them somewhere. Big problem, so the governments should get involved a bit more.

Yeah, in some cases ferals can adapt to an environment with a positive impact, which makes them not so feral any more. :unsure:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Odd how things how things are different and even the same across different countries or even in the same country.

Here's some cats at my grandad's house waiting on him to finish milking the cows and fill their milk bowl.  Non-fixed of course, they work to keep rodents away from the farm.

704238729_CatsCats.thumb.JPG.8c4c0a7b54b534731a61bddbe068814e.JPG

Here is the reason why a year later there were no cats and grandad's house.

64174389_HornedOwl.thumb.JPG.cea99c272f6464be694d29e6badf577f.JPG

I think your mistaken the owl moved in later to fill in the void ...

truth is all the cats left and are now working for Bethesda as Khajiit caravan merchants

the theory is that if cats where to vanish from the face of the earth humanity would die of starvation in the space of one year ... the reason is rats would eat all mans crops and other food ... Rats, generally, are baby-making machines. Female rats can mate around 500 times in a six-hour period and brown rats can produce up to 2,000 offspring in a year  so if 2000 rats have 2000 baby rats = 4 million rats total in just one year, and that is just from one rat alone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sah said:

I think your mistaken the owl moved in later to fill in the void ...

truth is all the cats left and are now working for Bethesda as Khajiit caravan merchants

I really do like the Khajiit.  Do wish there was a female Khajiit you could marry.  I did add the mod which added a Khajiit child you could adopt.  My male Khajiit generally marry Ysolda as she seems to like the furries, and she's drug dealer.  ;)

You forget people who move and can't take their animals with them. 

And you forgot our most common problem.  People get "guard" dogs, and then try to keep them as house pets.  When the dog gets too big, or too assertive, they simply take the dog and dump it.  So our feral dogs aren't toy or small breeds,  they are Rottweilers, Dobermans, Pit Bull terriers, German Shepards, Chows, and at least one Bull Mastiff.  And when I talk about feral dogs, I am not talking about the ones that are dumped.  If captured, they can often be rehabilitated.  I am talking about their offspring, the animals which have never been socialized with people but have the dogs long inbred ability to inhabit human spaces. 

The biggest "adaption" we have seen here is coyote-dog hybrids.  Normal coyotes run from people and are somewhat cowardly.  But these hybrids don't run, and are more aggressive.  These hybrids are shot on sight, regardless of the County and State and Animal Rights Activists.  They pose a threat to people and stock. 

These animals have no

Oh, and after yesterdays post, one of my neighbors reported one of his horses had been killed by feral dogs. 

1 hour ago, Scythe Bearer said:

You forget people who move and can't take their animals with them. 

And you forgot our most common problem.  People get "guard" dogs, and then try to keep them as house pets.  When the dog gets too big, or too assertive, they simply take the dog and dump it.  So our feral dogs aren't toy or small breeds,  they are Rottweilers, Dobermans, Pit Bull terriers, German Shepards, Chows, and at least one Bull Mastiff.  And when I talk about feral dogs, I am not talking about the ones that are dumped.  If captured, they can often be rehabilitated.  I am talking about their offspring, the animals which have never been socialized with people but have the dogs long inbred ability to inhabit human spaces. 

The biggest "adaption" we have seen here is coyote-dog hybrids.  Normal coyotes run from people and are somewhat cowardly.  But these hybrids don't run, and are more aggressive.  These hybrids are shot on sight, regardless of the County and State and Animal Rights Activists.  They pose a threat to people and stock. 

These animals have no

Oh, and after yesterdays post, one of my neighbors reported one of his horses had been killed by feral dogs. 

We actually prefer the AK47 since the ammo is so cheap when compared to the 30-30 or 7mm.

• Like 2

I did not forget those people you mention, I class those under the heading should not ever own an animal of any kind, along with people that do not insure their animals don't mate uncontrolled. I do not dispute that there is a problem with feral animal and not only dogs and cats, I just disagree that it is nessercery to neuter animals to stop them breeding as long as they are not aloud to get into situations that allow them to mate outside owner control.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Uncus said:

I did not forget those people you mention, I class those under the heading should not ever own an animal of any kind, along with people that do not insure their animals don't mate uncontrolled. I do not dispute that there is a problem with feral animal and not only dogs and cats, I just disagree that it is nessercery to neuter animals to stop them breeding as long as they are not aloud to get into situations that allow them to mate outside owner control.

Well pets need to mate obviously or we'd have no more pets, though I am totally against the puppy mills run in the states by professional breeders.  But those are around because of people's high demand for the pure breeds.  I do know once my daughter leaves the nest and takes her dog with her (a shepherd rottweiler mix) I'll be going to the shelter to pick up a new four legged companion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

We actually prefer the AK47 since the ammo is so cheap when compared to the 30-30 or 7mm.

.357 or 7.62.  And I reload my brass, so ammo is less expensive.