My Stuff Uncus

Uncus

1 hour ago, Uncus said:

A game I've been playing off and on for Quite a while, it's called "Banished" it's a sort of city builder.

20210915161633_1.thumb.jpg.34304f9ec087db3bd3e07dcf02a98cfc.jpg

Love Banished.  I even would name some people and then following their family line as generations live on.  The last game I played I finally turned on all natural disasters.  The town got hit with a tornado, then a fire started, and before I got the fire out another tornado hit.  I was actually left with just one male townsman.  He was just left eating food that was stored in a few of the remaining homes and finally died of old age.  But again, I love this game and have been considering playing it again.

• Like 2

Never done the naming citizens, might try that sometime. I have played with disasters a few times but found the frequency far too much, you would need tobe the unluckiest settlement in the world to get that much grief.

1 hour ago, Uncus said:

Never done the naming citizens, might try that sometime. I have played with disasters a few times but found the frequency far too much, you would need tobe the unluckiest settlement in the world to get that much grief.

Admittedly, it was surprisingly bad.  I thought I could tackle one, recover, prepare for the next ... NOPE, it's more like BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, Why are you still alive!  Poor Robinson Crusoe (what I named that last guy).  I kept thinking that some nomads might join and help get the village rebuilt, but that just wasn't meant to be.

• Like 2

Thats another thing you get loads of nomads at the beginning of the the game but seem to get less later but admittedly in larger numbers at a time. At least thats my experience.

3 minutes ago, Uncus said:

Thats another thing you get loads of nomads at the beginning of the the game but seem to get less later but admittedly in larger numbers at a time. At least thats my experience.

Yeah I noted that also.  Though further into the settlement building I generally don't need Nomads (unless some plague kills some people or something) and housing the people I have is the problem.  I need to build homes at that point, not fill the one's I have.

57 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Yeah I noted that also.  Though further into the settlement building I generally don't need Nomads (unless some plague kills some people or something) and housing the people I have is the problem.  I need to build homes at that point, not fill the one's I have.

If nothing else they are a good source of laborers, I usually build a few barracks for homeless people and they go live there in the beginning. Then when I’ve used them to boost production quickly I start building homes for them once I have the production to support it, leaving the barracks empty for the next wave of immigrants. I do find it is a good idea to have three or four hospitals as nomads have a greater chance for plague infestations at first and enough schools to ensure the second generation is educated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Uncus said:

A game I've been playing off and on for Quite a while, it's called "Banished" it's a sort of city builder.

20210915161633_1.thumb.jpg.34304f9ec087db3bd3e07dcf02a98cfc.jpg

Looking at your map I noticed you have houses right up against one another.  After I had a random fire about wipe out half my town I started putting a space between each home to stop/slow the spread of fire.  That plus plenty of wells and fire was no longer a problem.

I remember it was interesting to see the tombstones in the cemetery grow in number as people would randomly die.  I once had one of the families I was following have a young mother killed in a mining accident.  I knew I should have reassigned her.  Somehow her newborn child survived and grew up, only to be killed when a tree fell on them, before they could have offspring, so that was the end of that line.  :(

When I get home I may have to find and post some of my old town pics.

9 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Looking at your map I noticed you have houses right up against one another.  After I had a random fire about wipe out half my town I started putting a space between each home to stop/slow the spread of fire.  That plus plenty of wells and fire was no longer a problem.

I remember it was interesting to see the tombstones in the cemetery grow in number as people would randomly die.  I once had one of the families I was following have a young mother killed in a mining accident.  I knew I should have reassigned her.  Somehow her newborn child survived and grew up, only to be killed when a tree fell on them, before they could have offspring, so that was the end of that line.  :(

When I get home I may have to find and post some of my old town pics.

Agree if you have disasters turned on that is a good stratergy to limit losses. In this one Im cocentrating on building so have disasters turned off so not much of a problem this time around.

Here's one of my early settlements, Rorikstead (okay so I'm not too original with names).  I still find the random deaths in the event log interesting.

20171223210709_1.thumb.jpg.bc5bc258e7b3b77adb11de81537f9a6a.jpg

I think I am going to boot this game up again.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Here's one of my early settlements, Rorikstead (okay so I'm not too original with names).  I still find the random deaths in the event log interesting.

20171223210709_1.thumb.jpg.bc5bc258e7b3b77adb11de81537f9a6a.jpg

I think I am going to boot this game up again.

yep it is sort of addictive ain't it

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is about stuff I like, so I'm waiting to collect my new German Shepherd in about 6 to 8 weeks he is going to be my retirement buddy and personal trainer. Making sure I get enough exercise in stead of sitting behind my computer all day. here is a short film that shows why I prefer this breed, since child hood.4966e461-5cd0-4234-af2c-dd24dad279cf.thumb.jpg.2abf629eaff40c2297a8a4b64497836b.jpg

Me with the Bruce the dog that taught me to walk. Now watch this you tube film and enjoy.

• Like 2

Hi guys, just a heads up here. For those that don't know steam has just released an update to Fo3 that removes the GFWL dependency. The good news is that the steam version should now have the same playability as the GOG version. Potential bad news is that a clean install of Fo3 is recommended to get the full benefit of the patch.

1 hour ago, Uncus said:

steam has just released an update to Fo3 that removes the GFWL dependency. 

And, of course, we now have people complaining about it.   *sigh*

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Its the where are my achievements cry babies mostly. Just be glad the game is now playable, steam will probably reinstate the achievements some time anyway.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:40 PM, Pseron Wyrd said:

Why? Isn't this a good thing?

11 minutes ago, Rotzi said:

Why? Isn't this a good thing?

The internet is often an echo chamber of hysteria.  There are people who have been convinced by click-baiting YouTubers and anonymous reddit posters that current Fallout 3 mod lists are obsolete, that existing Fallout 3 mods will have to be updated or remade, re-downloaded and reinstalled, and that this is the end of Fallout 3 modding as we know it.  We get this kind of reaction whenever Bethesda changes anything. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

The internet is often an echo chamber of hysteria.  There are people who have been convinced by click-baiting YouTubers and anonymous reddit posters that current Fallout 3 mod lists are obsolete, that existing Fallout 3 mods will have to be updated or remade, re-downloaded and reinstalled, and that this is the end of Fallout 3 modding as we know it.  We get this kind of reaction whenever Bethesda changes anything. 

Lucky me. Playing F3 on xbone is a really quiet experience. No hysteria. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just got baby video from the breeder of my new retirement buddy and personal trainer, one of these bundles of trouble will be coming to reside with us soon. all together now say oooh aah.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Uncus said:

say oooh aah.

Oooh ah.  :clap:

I don't know how a person could possibly choose just one of those rollicking bundles of absolute cuteness.  They're so totally adorable. 

14 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Oooh ah.  :clap:

I don't know how a person could possibly choose just one of those rollicking bundles of absolute cuteness.  They're so totally adorable. 

this is me with the original Bruce that looked over me and protected me, and taught me to walk.4966e461-5cd0-4234-af2c-dd24dad279cf.thumb.jpg.4211b00c04de11c111aa2986c11e6bd0.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Uncus said:

this is me with the original Bruce that looked over me and protected me, and taught me to walk

He looks like a fantastic dog!  You must have loved him very much.  And I bet he accidentally knocked you over a few times when you played with him!  That's part of the fun of owning a larger dog, I've always thought. 

I used to consider myself a "dog person".  I've had dogs all my life (three Dachshund mutts and one Lab).  But we moved to a new house last year and adopted nine feral kittens who had been born on our property.  I now think of myself as a "cat person" as well as a "dog person". 

I love our cats, but there's something about the bouncy, infectious enthusiasm of dogs that I will always miss when I'm not around dogs.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

He looks like a fantastic dog!  You must have loved him very much.  And I bet he accidentally knocked you over a few times when you played with him!  That's part of the fun of owning a larger dog, I've always thought. 

I used to consider myself a "dog person".  I've had dogs all my life (three Dachshund mutts and one Lab).  But we moved to a new house last year and adopted nine feral kittens who had been born on our property.  I now think of myself as a "cat person" as well as a "dog person". 

I love our cats, but there's something about the bouncy, infectious enthusiasm of dogs that I will always miss when I'm not around dogs.

I know what you mean, when we first got married my wife wanted a cat and I wanted a dog. So we got both, I rescued a Dutch shepherd (it looks like a cross between a GSD and a Belgian shepherd) and she got a kitten. they became the best of friends and since then I like both cats and dogs. As for nocking me over according to my mum he was very carful with me when I was very small also he was an older dog so not quite so boisterous. 

5 hours ago, Uncus said:

this is me with the original Bruce that looked over me and protected me, and taught me to walk.4966e461-5cd0-4234-af2c-dd24dad279cf.thumb.jpg.4211b00c04de11c111aa2986c11e6bd0.jpg

Would have loved to have seen you walking around on all four. :D

I currently have four cats and a dog in the house.  Had five cats but had to put one down a couple weeks ago.  She'd been a part of the family for eleven years and I still look around for her at times.  So I guess I'm another cat/dog person.

6 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Would have loved to have seen you walking around on all four. :D

I currently have four cats and a dog in the house.  Had five cats but had to put one down a couple weeks ago.  She'd been a part of the family for eleven years and I still look around for her at times.  So I guess I'm another cat/dog person.

try these1552493715_BryanBruce.thumb.jpg.e4ad1c2074624cf6a05b636da596f473.jpg658589399_BryanBruce.thumb.jpg.5880a5831ff0e59d9f2cba7ecbaad119.jpg611032940_BryanwithBruce.thumb.jpg.e3d1de8ba7a0a5b0588d7aa6b09ef7b7.jpg

These are the only images I still have. my mum might have more though

• Like 3