What's your favorite build or playstyle?

Ravvynfall

43 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

The goal is to have fun.  We should each do what is most fun for us. 

I can surely get behind that statement.

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

In my opinion a roleplayer should always strive to use character knowledge, not player knowledge, when playing a roleplaying game. Employing player knowledge when playing a roleplaying game is not rolelaying. Restricting oneself to using character knowledge is what roleplaying is all about.  I believe that "playing as ourselves", taking actions that I, the player, want to take is not roleplaying.  Roleplaying is primarily about the character, not the player. This applies whether we are talking about tabletop or computer roleplaying games. 

When I roleplay I am telling myself a story. Instead of using a typewriter or word processor, I am using the assets provided by Bethesda to "write" my stories. Each time I start a new game I am beginning a whole new story.  I cobble together bits and pieces of Bethesda's side and faction quests (as well as modded quests) to form a unique, do-it-yourself "main quest" for each character. Sometimes I avoid Bethesda's quests altogether, if that is what is needed to tell a character's story.

A writer often knows how his story is going to end before he begins writing.  But that usually doesn't ruin the enjoyment ohe gets from writing the story.  The enjoyment, for me, is in the telling. But in recent years I have begun to incorporate accidents and mistakes into my storytelling.  These sometimes take my stories in wildly different directions than I had planned.  This can be really exciting and satisfying as well.

To me, and I have said this before many times, Bethesda's games are vast canvasses upon which I can paint my own pictures. Each picture tels a different story. I could not imagine telling just one story and moving on to another game.  But, as was said above, to each his own. The goal is to have fun.  We should each do what is most fun for us. 

True, while I put a tidbit of information about the toons in the post above, each one had a more developed background that got them to be who they were.

I do see the replay problem more prevalent with meta-gamers.  Every character they make will join every faction, do every quest to yield the best results, find every 'hidden' special item, etc., so that when the day is done you really can't tell one character from the next.  So it's no wonder playing again would seem boring.  I actually have more freedom with Skyrim since all the factions are not tied directly to the MQ (one of the many mistakes made in FO4 IMO), but in Skyrim none of my character ever join more than one faction, many never even do the MQ, may side with or skip the civil war altogether, etc.  I try to make each path completely different.  This makes replaying the game very easy.  Clearly I milk all the fun I can out of a BGS game.

• Like 2

Scout/hunter/woodsman/woman, hands down very little else. Sometimes I just wing it and in the immortal words of Eric Morecombe ( If you don't know who he was look him up) it's the make it up as you go along show. Other times its more structured. My current character Uncus is by far the most developed by far. A member of a tribe of wood elves that got geographically cut of from the main stream culture before the Green Pact and the Wild Hunt. And did not return until after the end of the Glacial period that isolated them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a "serious" rp'er so most of my runs are about the same. I do in some runs enforce some rules/limitaions on that character. I use Cheat Room to get to lvl 11 and then another mod to stop all XP. Then back to Cheat Room to get all the perks I need/want for that run and most times don't add any more. I use modern weapon mods and don't touch the laser and plasma guns or pipe guns in any way(I RP that Nate had a hoard of great weapons stashed). I do use melee some for very close combat and that is where VATS gets used the most. I don't normally use VATS for shooting guns(pistols, sniper rifle, AR style rifles, shotguns, oh and the BFG 9000,lol) unless an enemy is being particularly irritating. Then use VATS on them and then back to normal gun play. I even play on "easy" with OP guns and have even modified mod clothes to accept ballistic weave. Personally I'm not looking for a challenge, just want to have some fun building settlements and cleaning up the Commonwealth. I do sneak around quite often but it's not the main way of gunplay.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting.
I'm another umm 'more mature' player lol. 64 this year.
I tend to be sneak sniper love going up on the roadway near Corvega and taking out all those raiders on the walkways. Never wear power armor but do have a mod that allows me to use an independant jet pack. Perfectly happy to go in all guns blazing where there is no suitable sniper perch.  I do a slow start, building up Sanctuary for points rather than to please the gang from the Museum who I haven't even gone to meet yet, then avoid Concord and do the Abernathy locket quest for the same reason. By the time I have done that I tend to be in a good position with a halfway decent weapon to start Concord stuff (whether Thuggyy's Fallon stuff or the vanilla Museum).
Sadly I seem to have little imagination as I have the equivalent build in most games. I tend to agree with MacCreedy and like distance work, whether its a fancy recurve bow in Horizon Zero Dawn or a sniper rifle in Fallout.
I do roleplay to an extent, I write little snippets of backstory for myself and my followers to flesh out what the game doesn't give us (if I write it down its engraved on my memory) but I'm not pedantic about it and will go off plot if I want or need to.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As a new member i wanted to answer and say that my style which i generally use throughout the various Fallout games that i play is a Stealth Long Range Sniper type.