What's your favorite build or playstyle?

Ravvynfall

Hey there wastelanders, I always found this to be a fun topic of discussion personally.

What is your favorite build or playstyle?

For me, my personal favorite is an energy weapon/power armor build that abuses some fun defensive mechanics while simultaneously causing havoc everywhere I go, while permanently at 30% health or lower to constantly trigger Nerd Rage.

For anyone interested, here's a guide that explains the build and it's mechanics in great detail:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pEKulN4DA7HXK7SP5rRHSGS3K6O-LYqzcyIEvw7A-74/edit?usp=sharing

I'm dying of radiation poisoning just to hear what everyone likes to play! 

• Like 2

Here, take a Radaway.

I have played everything possible in different role-plays and such, but I have to say my favorite would be the leather armored sniper who uses pistols for short range.

ScreenShot502.jpg

Most of the time i play some sneak/sniper type although i almost never used a stealth boy for it. Also don't use the stealth magic effect on armors in F4. I prefer rifles (not energy) but use handguns from time to time in interiours. At the moment i play with vanilla weapons so i use combat and hunting rifle and the 10mm.

• Like 2

Most of my characters start out with rifleman and sneak perks - and are sneaky snipers. My starting special points go into agility and charisma. (I like to start with 6 charisma to help pass speech checks and build settlement supply lines.)

I also start with int 1 and the savant perk. (I just assume my character spent too much time in the cryo chamber. Later on his intelligence returns.)

Most of my characters gain early experience points building some of the settlements like Sanctuary, Red rocket, Abernathy farm. Plus make adhesive and build many water purifiers at Sanctuary. When I get tired of that it is off to vault 81 to get the Overseer's guardian. I like to be leveled up a lot before finding Nick and starting the main quest.

Later on I choose perks like grim reapers sprint and critical banker.

Edited by Fenrus
vault number changed
  • Like 3

Cool stuff, folks!

I did try sniper builds before, It was alarming at how effective they really are.

Felt a bit slow paced and predictable because of vats though, but in all fairness, my own go-to build takes time to get going (high end perks are a must).

Have you tried augmenting your sniper builds into the low-life unyielding variant? A gauss rifle with relentless, low health and full unyielding is crazy OP! I managed to get a crit on demand after roughly every 2 or 3 shots, and the recharge rate on the meter was crazy fast!

51 minutes ago, Ravvynfall said:

Cool stuff, folks!

I did try sniper builds before, It was alarming at how effective they really are.

Felt a bit slow paced and predictable because of vats though, but in all fairness, my own go-to build takes time to get going (high end perks are a must).

Have you tried augmenting your sniper builds into the low-life unyielding variant? A gauss rifle with relentless, low health and full unyielding is crazy OP! I managed to get a crit on demand after roughly every 2 or 3 shots, and the recharge rate on the meter was crazy fast!

Well I never use VATS, even as a sniper.  I guess I shoot the old fashioned way.  I also tend to stay with traditional weapons and not mess with Plasma, Gauss, and Laser, though a well built laser rifle can make a great sniping rifle.  Four cranks with a modded up Laser Musket and a head shot will put down just about anything.

As far as the pacing, yeah that's what I like, slow and staying alive.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

slow and staying alive.

Exactly my kind of playstyle. :sniper:

But i use VATS very often, usually to thin them out and then finish up the rest if no AP points left. With Grim Reapers Sprint i can get them sometimes all in two or three VATS sequences. Although i use conventional aiming more often in F4 because it is just better then in NV (although you could use iron sights) and F3. I don't use legendaries in F4 anymore, to much magic for me.

• Like 2

I use VATS in Fallout games because it moves the games away from action/shooter combat mechanics and brings back a bit of roleplaying combat mechanics.   When using VATS, character skill is important, not player skill.  To my way of thinking, a roleplaying game should emphasize the character, not the player.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Well I never use VATS, even as a sniper.  I guess I shoot the old fashioned way.  I also tend to stay with traditional weapons and not mess with Plasma, Gauss, and Laser, though a well built laser rifle can make a great sniping rifle.  Four cranks with a modded up Laser Musket and a head shot will put down just about anything.

As far as the pacing, yeah that's what I like, slow and staying alive.

The only thing I use vats for are flying insects at close range and thats only because I cant be bothered with them.

• Like 3

I am almost exactly the same as LeBurns, sniper, stealth slow and steady even the same gear by the looks of it, neve use VATS or the power armour stuff and techie weapons. maybe because i am challenged by difficult gameplay and I find this the easiest way to get by!

Oh and I am old so that probably explains it. 

Also like similar style in TES

2 hours ago, XRAT said:

I am almost exactly the same as LeBurns, sniper, stealth slow and steady even the same gear by the looks of it, neve use VATS or the power armour stuff and techie weapons. maybe because i am challenged by difficult gameplay and I find this the easiest way to get by!

Oh and I am old so that probably explains it. 

Also like similar style in TES

Mate a lot of us here are old, I'm 67 and that aint the oldest :rofl:

1 hour ago, Uncus said:

Mate a lot of us here are old, I'm 67 and that aint the oldest 

68 here.  I have you beat by a year!    :celebration:

12 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

68 here.  I have you beat by a year!    :celebration:

I'm still fifty-something, but barely.  So slow gameplay ... something that matches my RL reflexes ... is a must.

• Like 3

It's a delight to meet venerable gamers! You lot have me beat in age. I'm 33 myself.

I decided to try another build last night (unarmed blitz, themed around deathclaw), mostly to make sure that my mod "Delirium" wasn't becoming an overhaul that only favored one type of build. 

Even with the tougher enemies, it is performing surprisingly well!

I plan to link a doc to give details later, incase anyone is interested.

I definitely appreciate the fact build diversity is possible with games like this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I'm still fifty-something, but barely.  So slow gameplay ... something that matches my RL reflexes ... is a must.

I'm 51 and also prefer a more slow (you can call it also lazy :P) playstyle. And i hate it when i die in games. I don't play DiD but still don't want to die. :unsure:

Edited by Rotzi
  • Like 2

got my docs updated.

the melee/unarmed build i am using and loving is this one here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11NX4JCNCfULcXlGjQ1o2lJMUCDLgAfA__kMzzYzYdCo/edit?usp=sharing

I call it "The Deathclaw", due to it's aesthetic and feel on the battlefield. it draws HEAVY inspiration from the youtube channel "Fudgemuppet" and their "Tribal" build.

it's pretty darn tanky, and has comfortable damage output, while utilizing a mix of vats-blitz attacks and non-vats attacks to allow for parrying direct melee attacks.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm kinda boring in the sense that I like almost every playstyle. That's probably why my characters end up being fairly similar to each other as I just can't stick with one playstyle...

But if I had to choose just one, I'd pick 'getting close with SMG and throwing grenades everywhere".

My play style is horribly simple.  The best combat is combat I cannot loose.  So I tend to be a high stealth sniper with mod enhanced long range, very accurate rifles.  My philosophy is, "If I can see an enemy with the naked eye, I should damned well be able to shoot him".  So I have a few really enriched rifles to choose from.

To avoid combat, I have jump assisted Marine Armor and a jet pack.  These get me onto rooftops and then buildings, allowing me to travel above the fray when in downtown Boston.  Swan is a snap when you can shoot him in the head from the rooftops.  After all, this game is just me against the ne'er-do-wells of the Commonwealth.  I need every advantage I can get. 

• Like 2

About to turn 52 myself.

My favorite playstyle is exploration. I love finding stories, both overt (quests and such) and subtle (how a couple of skeletons are positioned, or what's in a half-hidden journal that was left behind, that kind of thing). I even tracked down all of the radio signal locations. I love finding an unmarked door or hatch somewhere, opening it, and finding a whole area to explore hidden underneath.

If I happen to come across foes while exploring (funny how very often that seems to happen) I like to snipe them from as far away as possible.

In Fallout 4, that means my favorite weapon is a legendary Gauss Rifle I found then modded up that enhances my VATS capabilities, while skill maxed on VATS as well (especially that lovely headshot bonus). There's something really satisfying about lining up a couple of foes and dropping them with one shot from the gauss rifle, but just as satisfying is that ultra-long-range single target head explosion. Finding one hiding behind cover with the penetrator perk is fun too. Think you're hidden, eh? Mwahaha!

Unfortunately, my playstyle doesn't lend itself well to replayability. Once I've found it all, the magic is gone on another playthrough.

3 hours ago, Gruffydd said:

About to turn 52 myself.

SNIP

Unfortunately, my playstyle doesn't lend itself well to replayability. Once I've found it all, the magic is gone on another playthrough.

Youngster.

That's why I role-play different characters and different builds.

Aaron, military sniper and overall loner.  Low tech sniper and no companions.

ScreenShot121.thumb.jpg.181f13f6dddbbac7f54f59c491aebbb2.jpg

Anita, ex-military and covert special forces.  A job done right is one where you never knew she was there.

ScreenShot420.thumb.jpg.75c593e500fa2feaeaa56bf5e5ba162c.jpg

Cassandra, mid-West girl who only knew how to handle handguns (no rifles).  Liked to pal around with Piper.

ScreenShot40.thumb.jpg.3557a3dcb7c91e3ff3670d3bf3c5815c.jpg

Daniel, grunt infantry.  Led many assault teams before the bombs.  Now leads Cait around looking for trouble.

ScreenShot15.thumb.jpg.a384162feb6253ddda3f5a0ee6145381.jpg

Doug, the mechanic.  Loved to tinker with gear and gadgets.  Mostly see him roaming around in Power Armor looking for scrap for his next project.

ScreenShot172.thumb.jpg.427ffdaa6f958049328ec0a6799a80f1.jpg

Eve, looking for the simple life.  Was more than willing to settle down with the Institute and spend what little time she could with her son and then help continue his dream to helping the Institute flourish.

ScreenShot88.thumb.jpg.9cca131f901b939a4a59ff30e58be277.jpg

Kayla, the wild one.  Blamed technology on all that happened to the world.  Refused to use any pre-war weapons or armor.  Used only pipe guns and raider armor.

ScreenShot87.thumb.jpg.84ae92e3205a07ef9ff672e564374cf7.jpg

Okay that took me all the way to the K's, and I could continue on to the Z's (Zane), but I think you get the picture.  Role-playing, and using self-imposed rules to flesh out the role-play is how you keep playing this or any other BGS game over and over and over again.

32 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

That's why I role-play different characters and different builds.

Yes, exactly.  Me too.  In fact I can'r really start to roleplay seriously until I have discovered nearly everything in a game. I'm probably odd that way, I don't know.  I can't roleplay during my first time through a game.  I have to know a lot about the landscape, NPCs, stories, quests, ect, before I can fit a roleplaying character into that world and make my characters and their personal stories feel believable to me.  The better I know a game, the more effectively I roleplay.  :)

• Like 2

I do most of my roleplaying in person. Well, sort of in person these days, but still by interacting with other live people (we're currently using Fantasy Grounds, and on a video call together while playing).

When I'm playing a video game, knowing what's coming pulls me out of my immersion enough that I can't really bring myself to enjoy roleplaying an alt in a game that I've already thoroughly explored. It's the same reason why when playing pen and paper RPGs, I tend to avoid playing through the same module that I've already been through. I'll create a character concept for that first playthrough, and stick with it, but regardless of what I chose, replaying - even with a very different character concept - just isn't as fun for me.

The exception to this was MUDs, back in the day. The ones that I was on (and later the one that I coded) were large enough that there was a lot to do and explore, and they were constantly expanding as new zones were created and added to the game. Most MMOs for me don't fit that model, having worlds that are relatively easy to fully explore, and that don't expand at a fast enough rate to really hold my interest, assuming they're adding new zones at all. I used to love being a builder in MUDs, creating new zones, and then watching the reaction as people played through them. I think my best were a haunted mansion themed newbie zone (100 rooms) and an adaptation of the Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle novel Inferno (200 rooms) in which the PCs literally find themselves in Hell and have to go through to the center to be able to escape. At the time when WoW exploded onto the scene and all of my players left for pretty pictures, I was working on an Underdark zone (1000 rooms, I'd finished the first 700, which were basically classic modules D1 and D2 with some extra stuff thrown in like an Illithid stronghold and an Aboleth lair). Alas, it was never finished, as with the players gone I lost the drive to complete it.

7 hours ago, Gruffydd said:

When I'm playing a video game, knowing what's coming pulls me out of my immersion enough that I can't really bring myself to enjoy roleplaying an alt in a game that I've already thoroughly explored. It's the same reason why when playing pen and paper RPGs, I tend to avoid playing through the same module that I've already been through. I'll create a character concept for that first playthrough, and stick with it, but regardless of what I chose, replaying - even with a very different character concept - just isn't as fun for me.

Again I get around this with role-playing self-imposed rules.  I may know what's coming up, but each character is played differently.  Maybe last time I did this part I was a sneaky thief type, but now I'm playing a rush-in barbarian ... same situation, but I have to tackle it in a completely different way.  That's why there is so much variance in my toons.  They are all playing in the same game, but each playing it in a completely different way.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, LeBurns said:

Again I get around this with role-playing self-imposed rules.  I may know what's coming up, but each character is played differently.  Maybe last time I did this part I was a sneaky thief type, but now I'm playing a rush-in barbarian ... same situation, but I have to tackle it in a completely different way.  That's why there is so much variance in my toons.  They are all playing in the same game, but each playing it in a completely different way.

I wish that worked for me. I've tried it, and it doesn't help me. To each their own.

In my opinion a roleplayer should always strive to use character knowledge, not player knowledge, when playing a roleplaying game. Employing player knowledge when playing a roleplaying game is not rolelaying. Restricting oneself to using character knowledge is what roleplaying is all about.  I believe that "playing as ourselves", taking actions that I, the player, want to take is not roleplaying.  Roleplaying is primarily about the character, not the player. This applies whether we are talking about tabletop or computer roleplaying games. 

When I roleplay I am telling myself a story. Instead of using a typewriter or word processor, I am using the assets provided by Bethesda to "write" my stories. Each time I start a new game I am beginning a whole new story.  I cobble together bits and pieces of Bethesda's side and faction quests (as well as modded quests) to form a unique, do-it-yourself "main quest" for each character. Sometimes I avoid Bethesda's quests altogether, if that is what is needed to tell a character's story.

A writer often knows how his story is going to end before he begins writing.  But that usually doesn't ruin the enjoyment ohe gets from writing the story.  The enjoyment, for me, is in the telling. But in recent years I have begun to incorporate accidents and mistakes into my storytelling.  These sometimes take my stories in wildly different directions than I had planned.  This can be really exciting and satisfying as well.

To me, and I have said this before many times, Bethesda's games are vast canvasses upon which I can paint my own pictures. Each picture tels a different story. I could not imagine telling just one story and moving on to another game.  But, as was said above, to each his own. The goal is to have fun.  We should each do what is most fun for us.