NexusMods Refugees

SkyLover

Saw a similar thread for Bethesda.net refugees to find each other again, and I felt that with everything going on over at Nexus, it'd be nice to have a thread for its refugees to find each other too.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, SkyLover said:

Saw a similar thread for Bethesda.net refugees to find each other again, and I felt that with everything going on over at Nexus, it'd be nice to have a thread for its refugees to find each other too.

I've been a Nexus member since 2003, but I've almost never posted on their forums.  I doubt that I qualify as a refugee. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I've been a Nexus member since 2003, but I've almost never posted on their forums.  I doubt that I qualify as a refugee. 

your a member of NEXUS so you have qualified for the next refuge saga coming soon to AFK

we are at the verge of a world mod war for who is going to have domination over modding, all the big players are making there move like Bethesda/Microsoft & Nexus

this is a war that will change gaming forever

my heart goes out to the modders who never asked for any of this

Its starting to sound like sort of contracts talented young musicians get forced into by record companies, we will finance your carrier but we want all the money.

I do wonder if this goes against the laws of copyright.

2 hours ago, Uncus said:

Its starting to sound like sort of contracts talented young musicians get forced into by record companies, we will finance your carrier but we want all the money.

I do wonder if this goes against the laws of copyright.

I'm a pretty fervent defender of copyright (as anyone whose been on Nexus long enough and read the right forum threads knows), and I'd love to say that what they're doing does, but honestly I don't think it does. This is because if we agree to their ToS we are giving them license to use our copyrighted materials. We aren't giving them ownership, or transferring the copyright to them. We're basically giving them license to distribute or make derivative works of our work. Since we are not obligated to put our work on the Nexus, we aren't being forced into anything if we do.

Unfortunately, as their ToS is written and their rules are now being enforced, as the old saying goes, the only way to win is not to play. If you don't want to give up a lot of control over where, how, and in what form your work is distributed, that's not the place to put it or leave it.

Edit: Oh, yeah... in keeping with the thread title... Hi there, Nexus refugee here. I've been a Nexus member since 2007. I'll still maintain my account there as a mod user (unless for some reason they decide to banish me), but my work is almost certainly going away there by the end of the month, unless something drastic changes (and it won't). I only had the three mods, really (the rest were parts of what became one of the three), but one of them was moderately popular. Hopefully people will be able to find it again here.

• Like 2

I believe the depends on the size of the file, as if I understand it right the site has a smallish archive compared with places like Nexus. I’m also new here and a not a modder, just a lowly blueprint make , so you would need to talk to management about that.

10 hours ago, SkyLover said:

What?  Is Nexus shutting down their forums also?  I haven't been active there in years but I have an account there.  I assume the mods will still be available?

The forums aren't shutting down, but there is some garbage going on over there (which I don't want to go into detail on here) that's prompting a number of modders to pack up their mods and take them elsewhere, which results in them being locked out of the "mod author" subforum.

Given what's been going on, I think that some of us could really use a good laugh.

For those not familiar with them, I highly recommend checking out a musical group from Italy called Nanowar of Steel. They are a metal parody band who are really odd, really funny, and really talented as actual musicians. Their videos are all on YouTube.

I specifically recommend Valhalleluja, Norwegian Reggaeton (be sure to turn the captions on, so that it gives you translations of the subtitles!), Uranus, and La Polenta Taragnarock. But a lot of their other stuff is funny too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks.  I like some of Man o War….So I’ll check out the parody band.  Rock-on!

I’ve been a Nexus’eer for two years…and I don’t even have a PC:facepalm:

But, following this trail of woa, yeah if I was a MA I’d be pretty miffed too. In fact add me to the pile of miffyness!

A.

• Like 2

My dear friend Ami aka Amilovescake has recently pulled all her mods from Nexus and opened shop on her own page.  I invited her here but don't know how to make a referral to become a member.  Is there a process for that?  Someone specific to speak to?  IDK.  Meanwhile... Here's where to find Amilovescake mods...

https://www.amilovescakemods.com/

Adventure on friends, Phat:blackhand:

Okay y'all... just read a few more posts here in this thread...

Nexus forums is NOT shutting down.  Nexus has made some integral policy changes regarding how mods are treated that have greatly angered many mod authors.  Those authors are abandoning Nexus in growing numbers.  Many of them are looking for a new home.  For obvious reasons, I am stating all of this as politely as possible sans my personal bias and most of the details regarding said policy changes.  I'm merely attempting to provide needed insight as to what is happening.  Again, Nexus forums are not closing.  They have shut down responses to several posts they have made regarding the aforementioned policy changes due to some rather heated debate in the comments.  TBH IMHO, they asked for every negative comment they received.  I was not pleased with the changes myself.  But, I will not reiterate that rant here.  I'm already out of breath and patience with the entire matter.  Some of the scathing remarks were well worded and intelligent, others were full of rage and not very polite to put it very mildly.  

To add insult to injury, Nexus is also doing away with all new lifetime premium memberships.  They will no longer be offered in about another week.  Any existing lifetime memberships in place will continue to be honored.  All new members joining or renewing after this ever nearing date will be required to pay either monthly at five pounds per month or annually at fifty pounds per annum.  In US currency that's about $7 per month or $70 per year.  Just three years ago I was able to purchase my lifetime membership for the same fifty pounds as a one time purchase that they are now charging per year.  In short, Nexus is near doubling their prices in about a week.  So, if you still want a lifetime premium membership, you need to act very quickly.  They are going away to be replaced by monthly and yearly memberships only.  

So, IDK what to make of the Nexus situation at present.  They've made drastic policy changes that have greatly angered many mod authors, their life's blood.  Then they nearly double the price of their service for the content that remains, angering their members.  IMHO, this is a cash grab and a very poor excuse for a business strategy.  I just don't get it.  But, it stinks of corporate greed.  

I hope this helps some of you better understand the situation.  Apologies that I was rather vague on the details of the changes made other than pricing increases.  However, I don't think this is the appropriate place to voice opinions on Nexus Mods policy.  It does affect many of us.  But, considering the ban on more politically charged commentary here in our peaceful sanctuary...  I've said all I will in this forum.  For additional details you may still read all about the new policies on Nexus.  You just cannot make any comments back in response to those policy change announcements, more's the pity.  Nexus asked for all the negative remarks through their actions, IMHO.  Then they cut off any ability to respond to those changes.  Long story short, it's been ultimatums and price increases and no one is happy about it.  Many authors have already left the site to host their mods elsewhere.  Once the price increases take effect I look for the same thing to happen with the membership of users as well.  Again, I fail to see Nexus' logic in all of this.  But, that gets back to the stock holder vs customer dilemma.  I won't discuss that here either.  That's another loaded gun of a subject not suitable for this forum.

Again, I hope this helps.  Adventure on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

1486542186_65034-1-1430105640foreverfreemoddinglogo.png.1f74648b8113e29e6260533e3350e142.png

Hi Phat:hug:

So, do you have to be a paid member to download mods from nexus.  Or is it free for non paying members.  I am on nexus (as you know), but not paying.

I ask, because at some point (maybe a year away…maybe less!) I envisage getting a PC and of course I will want nexus hosted Skyrim (and in time TES6) mods.

A.:woot:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adella said:

So, do you have to be a paid member to download mods from nexus.  Or is it free for non paying members.  I am on nexus (as you know), but not paying.

I ask, because at some point (maybe a year away…maybe less!) I envisage getting a PC and of course I will want nexus hosted Skyrim (and in time TES6) mods.

still free to download but the cost of premium membership has gone up and one payment lifetime membership has been removed. premium memberships main advantage is faster download times if you have an internet connection that can handle it. To be honest if you live in an area where the internet is reliable and of its self fast I would question the need for such a membership, and if your internet is crappy then it will probably not help much. I hope that Nexus (like steam with paid mods) sees that the way they are treating mod authors and mod users may well be more destructive than profitable.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Adella said:

An excellent question my beloved.  Mods are free on Nexus.  I'm pretty sure that will not be changing.  However, non-paying members have strict limits to the file size of the mods they may DL.  So, in truth, you really do have to pay Nexus to gain access to the larger mods.  The size limit is rather small.  I do not remember the exact size but it's measured in KB, not MB.  I have a rather large collection of smaller mods that could've easily been DL'd for free.  However, the majority of my favorite mods and the ones on which I get the most comments and shout outs and requests for links fall into the "too large for free DL" category.  The mods are free.  You pay for unlimited DL access.  It's like I've said before, the mods are free... servers cost money.  So, I've always supported Nexus in that.  You can access their site and features like PM and forums for free.  You can even DL a wide variety of smaller mods at no cost.  But, you do pay for the larger, more elaborate mods, because servers do cost money.  I get it.  They are in business to make money.  But, with an 80% pricing increase forthcoming quickly and no more lifetime memberships going forward, it's about to get more expensive.  If you want a lifetime membership with unlimited DL, now is the time to get it before they are gone.

Hope that helps :)  Hugs, Phat

Edit... Uncus is correct.  Free DL but at slower speed than premium membership.  That's why I paid.  Must've hit my head harder than I thought when I pulled a face plant on the tile floor after tripping on the way to the loo.  Then my sword decided to fall off the ledge and attempted to plant it's hilt into the top of my skull.  I've been battling migraines all week.  Aleve helps.  The dizziness has faded.  I thought I was getting back to normal.  But, apparently the eggs are still bit scrambled...:fear: 

Peace, love, joy, hugs and kisses, Phat

PS:  Yes, it's an ugly, angry looking gash above my left eye.  And, no, I'm not showing any pictures of the gash...

Mod downloads are free there. If you're paid, your screen isn't covered in ads, and you can download faster. In addition, premium members will be able to one-click download a collection, where free will basically be given a step-by-step and told go do it yourself.

The Nexus is becoming a mod publisher instead of a mod hosting site, taking much control of their work away from mod authors. They state this is necessary to support the new Collections system which appears to be their primary business model and concern going forward, which in turn to get the most out of you must become a premium member, which in turn has had its prices dramatically increased.

Remember, if you go to the site at all you are agreeing to whatever changes they have made to the ToS without telling anyone, according to their ToS. So be aware you may be agreeing to things you aren't aware you're agreeing to if you use the site.

Overall, it's probably still safe to download mods from there. At this point at any rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I do think collections is a good idea in princile, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. It is in fact a feature I have suggested in forum. The way I envisaged it was that within my vortex profile I could record a load order then by logging in on another device I could automatically download those mods and continue playing with the mods and saves recorded from the first device. In much the same way my download history is recorded. This all with no changed in authors rights, now here s the thing as Phat mentioned servers cost money so if this bought extra costs then if it could not be covered with advertising revenue then I suppose that the service might have to be part of the premium package. Non premium members could still get a list of links to do it manually. If I understand it right their thinking that lists posted on Nexus to be shared would be made invalid if a mod in that list was deleted by the mod author for what ever reason the list would become invalid. My answer to that is boohoo so what how often do abandoned mods stop working after a time as game updates change things that the mod needs to function. Another point who remembers collections in steam workshop for old rim, no body complained if a mod disappeared they just looked for another list or a replacement for the deleted mod and there was no change in authors right.

5 hours ago, phatbassanchor said:

Must've hit my head harder than I thought when I pulled a face plant on the tile floor after tripping on the way to the loo.  Then my sword decided to fall off the ledge and attempted to plant it's hilt into the top of my skull.  I've been battling migraines all week.  Aleve helps.  The dizziness has faded.  I thought I was getting back to normal.  But, apparently the eggs are still bit scrambled...:fear: 

Peace, love, joy, hugs and kisses, Phat

PS:  Yes, it's an ugly, angry looking gash above my left eye.  And, no, I'm not showing any pictures of the gash...

Aw..noooo.  Sorry to hear that poppet. :|

Ok….So….idk if I did a good thing….but I stumped up the 50 quid…(plus “sales tax” of another 10 quid) for premium for life at Robin’s place, but at least now I should be future proofed for that distant day I might get a real PC and want mod access with no strings attached.  Well unless of course the entire organisation collapses….which now I have got on board, it probably will:rolleyes:.  What’s the opposite of a lucky mascot?

I’ll be over later to soothe that aching brow hmmm.

A.:hug:

13 minutes ago, Adella said:

Ok….So….idk if I did a good thing….but I stumped up the 50 quid…(plus “sales tax” of another 10 quid) for premium for life at Robin’s place, but at least now I should be future proofed for that distant day I might get a real PC and want mod access with no strings attached.  Well unless of course the entire organisation collapses….which now I have got on board, it probably will:rolleyes:.  What’s the opposite of a lucky mascot?

I think the term is Jonna like from the whale, might have spelt the name wrong though could not remember how.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 4:12 AM, Adella said:

The good news is since you grabbed the offer in time, you now have unlimited access for life, just like me.  That was the first thing I checked when they announced the changing price structure.  In about a week the door will close on lifetime members and it will just be fifty pounds per year or five pound per month, which is up from only three at preset.  It works out to be a two thirds increase in pounds sterling and 75-80% more in US dollars, going from four to seven dollars, depending on the exchange rate.  

So, long live Nexus so we can continue to receive our money's worth for many years to come.  I've DL'd and tried well over 1500 mods from Nexus in the last three years.  I love free mods.  I gladly paid monthly for about the first year then realized that I needed to just pay for life and be done with it.  I hope it continues to be a good investment.  

All my best beloved.  Kisses, Phat:wub::hug:

8 hours ago, Adella said:

What’s the opposite of a lucky mascot?

The school cormorant? (Don't rub linseed oil into it.)

9 hours ago, Uncus said:

I think the term is Jonna like from the whale, might have spelt the name wrong though could not remember how.

Correction brother... No insult intended, merely clarification... it's Jonah and it was a great fish, not a whale.  The whale is a common misconception.  The book says great fish.  Who knows... it could've been a megalodon! Haha:lmao:  Jonah was considered to be a curse by the sailors on the boat because of the raging storms that plagued them on their voyage.  The sailors eventually threw Jonah overboard and the seas calmed shortly after.  Jonah was never a curse.  But, he was AWOL from his assigned mission and got a ride from some great fish to Ninevah where he was supposed to go in the first place. 

But, I think the term Adella was hinting at was another word that begins with the letter J...  j*nx.  Many believe that merely uttering that little word will cause it to become reality, an active curse.  I've never considered myself to be the superstitious type.  But, you won't catch me walking under ladders or letting black cats cross my path...  I prefer to stop and pet the kitty.:redface:  Here kitty, kitty:wub:

Adventure on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, phatbassanchor said:

Correction brother... No insult intended, merely clarification... it's Jonah and it was a great fish, not a whale.  The whale is a common misconception.  The book says great fish.  Who knows... it could've been a megalodon! Haha:lmao:  Jonah was considered to be a curse by the sailors on the boat because of the raging storms that plagued them on their voyage.  The sailors eventually threw Jonah overboard and the seas calmed shortly after.  Jonah was never a curse.  But, he was AWOL from his assigned mission and got a ride from some great fish to Ninevah where he was supposed to go in the first place. 

But, I think the term Adella was hinting at was another word that begins with the letter J...  j*nx.  Many believe that merely uttering that little word will cause it to become reality, an active curse.  I've never considered myself to be the superstitious type.  But, you won't catch me walking under ladders or letting black cats cross my path...  I prefer to stop and pet the kitty.:redface:  Here kitty, kitty:wub:

Ok just had to add to this(you may laugh at me on this it's ok), I work in construction so I walk under ladders a dozen or more times a day lately framing wall for a new home. My daughters cat lives with me and guess what color he is, yup black, we cross paths multiple times a day. He is a bu&&head for sure but he likes me and we get along, he's my buddy. And for some dry humor, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all, lol. I don't really get too deep into this stuff, there's too much more important "life" stuff that takes priority.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:38 PM, phatbassanchor said:

No problem mate correction is never an insult if given in a reasonable way. Also I did state I could not remember the correct spelling, so thank you for informing me of the correct spelling. In my defense in popular culture in Britain the story is generally called “ Jonah and the whale” although you are correct it is a big fish in the original. Jinx is a good option for what Adella was asking, though in Britain Jonah is often used to describe some one who attracts bad luck, especially in a Navel context. Its just shows that similar but divergent cultures with a common origin differ in details some times. 

• Like 1

I think I might qualify for this, I still have mods I have made released already on the nexus for those who need them there but I don't really feel right about the new updates there (several changes that make me uncertain for the future) so any new mods I might make might not end up there. Modders I respect have also left over this and I want to be able to support them in the other places they might end up, so um hello :D

• Like 2