The Dead is Dead Thread

Adella

Any game, any character, but must be played Dead is Dead.

The objective is to survive your game on the toughest difficulty you can handle (Which might be less than maximum and depends upon the game, that’s ok).  Characters can be restarted at the beginning or new ones made instead.

This is not intended to be a continuous character playthrough account, but rather a record of your overall accomplishment, whether dying mid game or making it to the end.

Just record here the game title, the name of your character and difficulty level attempted for the play.  
Then whether  they die a glorious death or simply reach the end of the game, pop back in to record a short account, any relevant stats / levels your character managed to attain, and share how well your character faired.  

A screen shot or two is great as well (though not dozens please, it pushes the page too fast to let everyone’s stuff get seen).

Good luck

Adella:wub:

Edit: 28/06/21

Having realised the anticipated use of this thread to simply record character demise is likely to be extremely under utilised due to the limited niche applicability, I have decided to expand its scope to include Dead is Dead gameplay as well.

Hopefully this will make more propitious use of the thread space.

So the thread is no longer limited to a brief description of your characters last moments and may now be used to show your Dead is Dead played character progress.  We still need to know your character’s name, the game being played, difficulty and periodic stats update or other indicator of how well they are fairing.

Adella:)

• Like 2

Okay…Here’s one to start, from me:

Started May 20th as a Ranger archer in Skyrim on Legendary. No magic, followers or healing .

Died Jun 17th at Level 40 after 85 hours. CoD: Chomped by Elder Dragon

Comment: Leather armour of just AR 291 was gonna get me killed eventually!

RiP me <giggles>

• Like 2

Fallout New Vegas with all DLC, Survival Mode. The character I used was a long range marksman who would rather talk than fight.  Played the main quest to completion, went the Wild Card route and New Vegas is independent.  Convinced the Khans to sneak off during the battle for the dam. but killed all the Powder Gangers and other gang members I found.  Got the followers of the Apocalypse to idolize me.  Reduced the BoS Bunker and Hidden Valley to a smoldering tomb.  Make the Boomers idolize me, and getting to their gate was the closest I came to dying until ...

After the end of the main quest and the routing of both the NCR and the Legion,I reloaded the game at the checkpoint just before the battle for the dam.  I wanted to do the DLC.  I made it through Lonesome Road,  the big Empty and Zion with little more than scrapes and scratches.   But alas, as I was fleeing from Elijah after trapping him in the vault I missed a jump and fell from a elevated walkway into the cloud and that was it.  

The only mods I used was the Old Marine Caches from Black Swan (may he rest at ease) and Perk Every Level by PheonixFang55. 

• Like 3

Greetings dearest Adella:wub::hug:

I only have one character that I did as a Dead is Dead run.  He died in Helgen at the fangs of Alduin and none shall remember his name...

Adventure ever on my beloved angel, Phat:blackhand: Kisses:wub:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rotzi said:

I always play on "Don't hurt me" :lmao:

If that is the toughest you can cope with, that’s absolutely fine to include here….But remember this thread is for Dead is Dead play only hmmm.

Adella

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rotzi said:

Y'all know Phat cheats.  So, I'd have to say the "Don't hurt me" setting sounds about right for me too:rofl:

(I don't do dead is dead. But lets for a moment pretend I did.)

This is the story (very brief) story of Fenrir the Nord warrior. His difficulty setting was default/adept (which I always select.)

Fenrir's goal was to make it to Whiterun to join the Companions.

He got off the cart, survived being beheaded and roasted by Alduin. Made it to Riverwood with Hadvar.

Earlier he had selected warrior from the standing stones. Hadvar was pleased. Alvor wanted Fenrir to warn the Jarl about the dragon.

So Fenrir leaves Riverwood, ignores the general store conversation about the stolen claw (which I have heard too many times.)

Fenrir arrives at Whiterun. The gates are locked, but he mentions the dragon and is allowed in. Makes his way to Dragonreach. Talks to Balgruuf and whats-his-name who says go to Bleak Falls Barrow. But Fenrir doesn't want to go to Bleak Falls Barrows just yet.

So Fenrir goes into the Companions. Sees a fist fight in progress, which he watches for a while, before talking to one of the comanions, who wishes to 'test his arm'.

(To be continued in Part 2.)

On 6/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, Rotzi said:

(from Spongebob Squarepants cartoon, yes yes I know, I had kids and they liked it, lol), I play on the "Weenie Hut JR's" difficulty setting with tons of cheats. But I do think just maybe the next run will be toned down just a touch to see if I can wean myself of the big cheats, aka god mode ring. 

Fenrir the Nord warriors very brief time in Skrim - Part 2.

Fenrir has his 'arm tested'. Passes. Then gets a quest to have a fist fight with Hulda. Not very honorable, but he does it.

Next it is off to Dustman's Cairn with Farkus to find a piece of Wuuthrad. Inside Farkus asks to help a way to continue.

So Fenrir finds a lever. The lever brings down a gate which traps him inside. Farkus turns into a werewolf and wipes out the Silver hand.

Farkus lets Fenrir out and speaks to him about the circle and werewolves.

Fenrir dies by being killed by a dragur , Or did he die by Farkus who was annoyed at having is secret revealed before the proper time?. Fenrir will never know.

He was only level 2 (or 3).

The end.

Nice one Fenrus, made me smile this morning thanks fore that.

Ooookaaay then!  I was rather hoping this would become a new version of the similar and sincere thread we DiD players had in the old Bethsoft forums of old.  It was not for me, but the player community, but clearly that’s not what anyone else has in mind, but it was worth a try huh!  My thanks to Old Salty Crock who did add an actual bona fide entry :hug:

I guess the old competition rounds I was also thinking of resurrecting are just as much a ‘no no’ then, pity tho’ cos many found them great fun at the time…I guess times change huh:shrug:

A.

3 hours ago, Adella said:

Ooookaaay then!  I was rather hoping this would become a new version of the similar and sincere thread we DiD players had in the old Bethsoft forums of old.  It was not for me, but the player community, but clearly that’s not what anyone else has in mind, but it was worth a try huh!  My thanks to Old Salty Crock who did add an actual bona fide entry :hug:

I guess the old competition rounds I was also thinking of resurrecting are just as much a ‘no no’ then, pity tho’ cos many found them great fun at the time…I guess times change huh:shrug:

A.

Different audience.  Different tastes.  Different thinking.  No matter how much you try recreate it, this will never become another Bethesda.Net.

My character actually did die for the first time in Dustman's cairn. There is a difficulty spike between Dragur and Restless Dragur.

Maybe there needs to be a dead is dead channel on the Beth discord. (I am finding it hard to like the Beth discord.)

It is growing on my as long as you keep your group small and invite only

11 hours ago, Old Salty Croc said:

Different audience.  Different tastes.  Different thinking.  No matter how much you try recreate it, this will never become another Bethesda.Net.

Bethnet…..no no no sweetie.  Before that!  Back to what…2016 and prior.  And I was not trying to change the site…just add a much missed thread we used to have, before the ‘new’ Bethnet moderators disallowed it.

The Dead is Dead thread was in the old BethSOFT forum….remember the black background like here?

Those who’s characters got killed in game and either had to restart lvl 1, or were never recreated….could have their character immortalised in a kind of ‘hall of fame’.  Just a brief couple of lines to remember them.

It was not a thread that grew a page a day!  But it was sincere and long running.  Nobody put piss taking in it.

But I guess you are right.

I just thought……nevermind

I am not anyone's "sweetie".  I find such unsolicited familiarity distasteful, and in this case, somewhat condescending.  Croc is fine. 

And I go back to the original Bethesda forums as well.  Your assumptions are showing.    

1 hour ago, Old Salty Croc said:

I am not anyone's "sweetie".  I find such unsolicited familiarity distasteful, and in this case, somewhat condescending.  Croc is fine. 

And I go back to the original Bethesda forums as well.  Your assumptions are showing.    

Apologies for the unnecessary familiarity… ‘Croc’ it is:D

Assumptions Croc?  You said “this will never become another Beth.Net”….But you know I was talking BethSoft….because ‘old Dead is Dead Thread’ which you must remember then!

Why would anyone want to make another Beth.Net compared to having BethSoft? The old Bethsoft site was very relaxed and easy going….not that I am saying recreate it…I was only talking one thread..ok maybe two?  
So are you saying you preferred BethNet to Bethsoft Croc?…even with the heavier moderation and thread pruning?

Quite frankly, I preferred neither, nor am I am nostalgic for them.  One seemed to me to be dominated by children, while the other by childish adults.  In either case, I found them annoying and mostly stayed away.  I only joined Bethesda.net in the hopes it would be better than it's predecessor and only stick around because it allows for a new audience for the mods I am responsible for.   

I searched long and hard for a site which suited me and my disposition and even abandoned forums all together for a  while.  I wound up here because I heard about the discord and stayed for the tranquility.  Getting help with making a mod is easy and there was a wealth of knowledge here which is willingly shared.  Discussions centered around making mods, the tools for making mods, and about specific games.  "Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!  Look at me mommy!" posts and threads were few and far between. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, Adella said:

A.

Bear in mind that footfall here is lower than at Bethnet or Nesus.

I applaud the effort, I wouldn't give up on it yet, but remember it'll need to stew for a little longer.

5 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Bear in mind that footfall here is lower than at Bethnet or Nesus.

I applaud the effort, I wouldn't give up on it yet, but remember it'll need to stew for a little longer.

Thanks. Yes, I kinda figured as much…Which is why I let it play out.  I hope once the flip comments cease it might still provide a proper place for our dead characters to be well remembered.  I do not envisage a busy thread since DiD is pretty niche, but a long lasting one that is nice to look back on.  We’ll see….

Ah…also, if you don’t mind…and while you are here!!!
 I have a synopsis of a story I wrote…now the story itself is a ripping adventure yarn, but sadly some of the content is not suitable for here…However, the synopsis is carefully worded to be family friendly.  Could I PM it to you for approval before I risk dropping it in forum?

52 minutes ago, Adella said:

Thanks. Yes, I kinda figured as much…Which is why I let it play out.  I hope once the flip comments cease it might still provide a proper place for our dead characters to be well remembered.  I do not envisage a busy thread since DiD is pretty niche, but a long lasting one that is nice to look back on.  We’ll see….

Ah…also, if you don’t mind…and while you are here!!!
 I have a synopsis of a story I wrote…now the story itself is a ripping adventure yarn, but sadly some of the content is not suitable for here…However, the synopsis is carefully worded to be family friendly.  Could I PM it to you for approval before I risk dropping it in forum?

OH A ripping yarn penned by Adella, I'd be interested in that hope you get the green light to post it here.