How to use UFO4P as master for my mod

Ohmidon

I guess my Google-Fu failed but I can't find the actual steps necessary to properly use the CK this way. If I check UFO4P in the data window I get the multiple masters load error. If I don't do that I can't see how UFO4P is tagged as a dependancy. By this same token I can't seem to load UFO4P to edit it directly (just to view and learn).

I only have this mod installed via direct download from Nexus and have extracted the esp and two ba2 files into my data folder. Since it's the only mod I guessed that the modgroups file is sort of unnecessary but please tell me if I'm wrong.

I just want to be sure that my own tinkering doesn't overwrite anything UFO4P has done. Can someone point me to the right tutorial or just give me the right guidance? I used to mod Oblivion a lot and have done some with Skyrim, so I'm not a complete noob but it's been quite a while now.

Add this line: 

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

to the [General] category of your CreationKit.ini file.  This file is located inside your main Fallout 4 directory (the folder where your Fallou4.exe is located).  It would probably be a smart idea to back up the file first. 

29 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Add this line: 

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

to the [General] category of your CreationKit.ini file.  This file is located inside your main Fallout 4 directory (the folder where your Fallou4.exe is located).  It would probably be a smart idea to back up the file first. 

And just like that I am blessed with what I am assured is only a nigh-infinite loading bar. My thanks to you Pseron Wyrd.

To clarify something further... There seems to be no indicator whether any particular master has been set as the 'active' file in the Data window. At least, not until after a new mod has been saved, at which point it is a new line that can be identified uniquely as active it seems. I made the mistake when I first began of clicking the 'set as active' button on the UFO4P line. As there was no visual indicator that anything had happened I did not think anything of it. When the time came to save I got a warning about modifying a mod that is already loaded into the game. At that point I figured something was wrong and just closed the Creation Kit. Any other way to recover from that situation or even know you're in it? Obviously I will now follow the best practice of saving immediately upon opening the files so I know what I'm working on, but ya know, stuff happens.

Thanks again!

The only "Active" file is the one which gets saved when you SAVE or close the CK.  The other files are Master Files.  Master files will show up on the right side of the window under Parent Masters when you open an existing mod.  

image.thumb.png.c3488403f4c556499c6a72a4447810df.png

If you wish to add a new master, simply check the box to the left of the file name on the left side of the window under Plugin/Master Files.

image.thumb.png.620281001d9f4c96c4bad22d1d8a23c8.png

Just as a general FYI - the setting to enable multiple masters should be in your CreationKitCustom.ini instead of the main one. This file is immune to future CK updates, whereas the main one is not.

Very helpful, thank you Old Salty Croc. and of coure Arthmoor.

It was acting oddly. I had previously created a mod before correcting the ini setting. That mod had no parents listed, which I didn't figure was right. With that mod (any mod?) there, if I didn't set it as the active file in the Data menu, then UFO4P became the acive file by default, even on restart of the CK. I could only fix it by deleting the old mod between restarts of CK, loading the multiple masters alone, then doing the save action to create a new mod. Get it right the first time I guess.

Cheers!

Make sure you are running the latest CK. What you're describing sounds like a bug that existed in one of the older versions.