[RELz] Unread Books Glow Black Book

Dragonblood

unread-books-glow-black-book.jpg.2a9bd3727cf1a987a4c8f659b0ec90bc.jpg

Download Options:

PC SSE ESL https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/4265578

PC https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2507398262

XBOX SSE ESL https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/4265579

New version 7.8 is live on all Platforms.

Head to Dragonsreach and investigate Farengar's Quarters for clues.

#1 Mod of the month on Steam!

Books are able to be picked up without being marked as read if the book is directly added to the players inventory. If the book is not taken or the player keeps it open for a couple of seconds, it will be marked as read.

Everything is working great. The INI file is installed and working properly so books, notes and journals will be larger and open a little faster.

Enjoy the Mod.  If you are updating from a pre 7.0 version it will require a clean install.

Dwemer Dungeon in the works.
If you have any issues with the Mod or would like to make a suggestion, please feel free to stop by DragonBlood's Clubhouse. If this Mod is going to be the best it can be, I need your input! https://discord.gg/GXvnbYDMtV

Settings:

The settings are done on a Black Book in Apocrypha.

A sample book will appear above with the selected shader, if that book is enabled.

unread-books-glow-settings.thumb.jpg.3f68244bcee0439e6310ad6fded5e9df.jpg

You can choose to glow: Medium or High

Standard Books Glow Different Kinds of Blue to Light Blue.

Skill Books can be selected individually and glow:
Honeycomb: Apothecary
Red Hot Metal: Blacksmith
Pure White: Priest
Fog and Mist: Thief
Blood Flames: Warrior
Purple Rune Symbol: Wizard

Spell Tomes Have a Glowing Green Rune Symbol.

Track the nearest 128 books in any location.
Books read from containers or the players inventory are marked as read. If the player reads a book from the menu that is glowing in the cell the book will stop glowing.
Unread books dropped by the player will glow and be trackable.
Very fast and stable. No errors in Papyrus.

The settings book will also check and reset the functions if necessary.

A crash or glitch during a cell change could affect the tracking function. If for some reason the books are not glowing when you enter a cell, just go to Apocrypha and reset the book.

CREDITS:
Duggelz for creating one of the most popular Skyrim SE book mods and giving permissions for it to be used.  This was a lot of fun to remaster because Dugglez created a solid foundation to work from and had a great idea.
Bethesda for the Skyrim Creation Kit.
B.A.E. - Bethesda Archive Extractor
The XEdit team.

PERMISSIONS:
This Mod is not a port, it is a compete remaster, and is not to be uploaded to any other platform or site without permission.
details.

• Dragonblood changed the title to [RELz] Unread Books Glow Super

I'm curious as to how this mod is different than the one on Nexus that does the same thing?  I had thought about using that one before, but couldn't come up with a real good reason to have it since you can pick up a spell book now without it being read and disappearing automatically.

Hey LeBurns,  That is a great question. 

It is for the most part a difference in how it does what it does.

1. This will be much faster and use less of your systems resources. The books will be lit up when the cell loads ( not blink on ).

2. Work with all modded books. ( That are properly done )

3. Can light up 128 books at a time.

4. Has a much different tracking system. ( Tracking the players moments from cell to cell. )

5. Much smaller file size.

6. No SKSE

7. It will track Books taken from chests, in real time, without SKSE. ( This has not been set up yet. )

Keep in mind, without SKSE the books that were read before the Mod was installed can not be tracked.

I am also going to, at some point, make it more immersive. Possibly create a dungeon where the book is located and a back story.

Cool addition! :D

I read it last night, but was too tired to comment. :)

16 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Cool addition!

Thanks,  Unfortunately,  I have screwed something up. The movement tracking function is working perfectly but the functions that glow the books are frazzled.  Going to need to have a look a the Papyrus Error Logs.

I am unable to find instructions on how to set up the Papyrus Error Logs in the 32 bit Creation Kit.  If someone could direct me to some I would appreciate it.

Someone on Bethesda's discord gave me the link to instructions.

How to enable Papyrus Logging

Question?

1. I am firing the functions on the refaliases from the quest script of the same quest. Is it possible that ( because it is on the same quest ) that the function on the quest script is waiting for them to return before firing the next function? That would not cause these problems but it would slow down the script.

UPDATE ( Current Progress ):

Alright guys, I have set up the error log and all errors have been fixed. However the Mod is still behaving strangely. It is hanging ( functions are not competing and they should be ).

Having stages on the quest that finds the books is causing some odd behaviors but I am running them down.

UPDATE 2 ( Current Progress ):

Ok Guys, That configuration is simply not going to work. It is just not fast enough. The Good news is that will effectively put an end to my testing so I am free to get this put together and released.

That link with the information looks right to me.  Try it, what do you have to lose or you can wait for Artmoor to login since he once told me about how to enable Papyrus Logging.

8 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

That link with the information looks right to me.  Try it, what do you have to lose or you can wait for Artmoor to login since he once told me about how to enable Papyrus Logging.

The link is correct.  Things are going very well now.  I will be able to keep 90% of the functions.  Calling functions on the Alias is not working on the quest start up but it works great for the other functions. 

Moved  formlist to function. We are no longer checking the formlist in Papryus only added forms.

Added Six new shaders for the Skill Books.

Green: Apothecary
Tan: Blacksmith
White: Priest
Fog: Thief
Red: Warrior
Purple: Wizard

I am really glad I decided to do another version of this Mod.  This has been a real challenge. In many years of working with Papyrus I have never encountered this situation.

This version of the Mod uses an array of quest aliases to fire functions on those aliases. It greatly simplified the code because all of the properties are kept right on each alias. It also resulted in the functions "that work" on the aliases being blazing fast. If you put 128 copies of the same book in a cell and read one, they will all blink off at the same time.  This also has greatly improved the functionality of the Mod because it clears the aliases and shuts down the quest extremely fast. It is so smooth when leaving and entering a new cell I have not had to do any checks at all.

However, I have discovered that dealing with those alias at the start of the "find books" quest is very changeling. I have always been under the impression that the quest sets up the aliases first. This may not be the case if they are optional. All of the odd behaviors have been directly connected to filing that array. I have tried filling it by firing a function from the first stage of the quest, after start() on a function and oninut() using onupdate() with a small wait. All causing problems. I am filling it now when the first of two functions fire to either clear or check the books and it is working perfectly.

unread-books-glow-menu.thumb.jpg.96abd14daa7f7f96009d44f2b5fdd9be.jpg

New Feature to track and identify unread books taken from chests.

This feature has been removed.  Unfortunately, The game has a hard time keeping track of ( non-persistent ) object references in inventories. For example, If you put 50 books with unique object references in the players inventory, if they were not persistent, the game would return several of them having the same object reference.

How about adding skills to those books or if the book doesn't have a skill attached the book will view a famous quote like?

"If you catch a fish to a man he only have food for one day.  If you teach a man to fish the man has food for the rest of his life. "

I believe that's a Japanese saying.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, Leonardo said:

How about adding skills to those books or if the book doesn't have a skill attached the book will view a famous quote like?

I was going to include the skill the book teaches but it can only be done via list and that would not work with Mods, so I made 6 different shaders for them.

Skill Skill Books Glow:
Green: Apothecary
Tan: Blacksmith
White: Priest
Fog: Thief
Red: Warrior
Purple: Wizard

I am going to do something now that is badass.  If you take a book from a container that has not been read and drop it, it will start glowing. What do you think?

How about some joke sayings for "fake" books like:

If you can teach a man to fish, you can lead a horse to water.

A stitch in time is worth two in the bush.

A drowning man will clutch at a needle in a haystact.

A journey of a thousand steps is better late than never.

Fortune favours the watched pot that never boils.

Might be a fun idea if you want the mod users groaning in delight.  :teehee:

8 minutes ago, lmstearn said:

How about some joke sayings for "fake" books like:

lol where do we get the fake books? :popcorn:

Ethereal or transparent books might work well, arranged in shapes of magical symbols suspended in mid air.

Well, fake or joke books, when opened, contain useless boost/hit/magical surprise bon bons with nonsense fortunes attached. Nothing related, of course, to the well known so termed FakeBook,, aka likeBook/unlikeBook. :teehee:

1 hour ago, lmstearn said:

Well, fake or joke books, when opened, contain useless boost/hit/magical surprise bon bons with nonsense fortunes attached. Nothing related, of course, to the well known so termed FakeBook,, aka likeBook/unlikeBook. 

I will be implementing this next year with my new updates. :coffee:

On 6/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, Leonardo said:

"If you catch a fish to a man he only have food for one day.  If you teach a man to fish the man has food for the rest of his life. "

I believe that's a Japanese saying.

@Leonardo, I like to joke around but would not make light of someone's legitimate suggestion. I thought you were joking about this. When you think about it from the perspective of immersion, it is actually not a bad idea. Any and all suggestions, and jokes, are always welcome. :clap:

unread-books-glow-super-menu-test.thumb.jpg.065933f2b3ba812637678809e353f532.jpg

The main functions of Unread Books Glow Super are basically now done. This is the result of a test done by reading books in the menu and then dropping them.

1. Drop the first two.

2. Drop two more of the same book then read the third and drop it.

3. Drop the next two.

4. Drop four of the same spellbook and learn the last.

5. Drop two of the same spellbook ( a spell the player has, but has not read the book ). Then try to learn the spell with the third.

6. Drop the last two. 

Then leave the menu.

No errors in Papyrus.

unread-books-glow-book-zoom.thumb.jpg.e5604b9030ffc3247597d72bae819940.jpg

I am making adjustments to the INI to resize the books, notes and journals making them easier to read. As you can see they also flatten the book out allowing it to fill more of the page. This is meant to be compatable with all screen sizes. Please feel free to give me your feedback.