What is the best size for a cover photo/picture

50 minutes ago, Dragonblood said:

@Helgatheangel is referring to the banner of their profile.  At this time I do not know the answer.

Ah, I haven't noticed this feature.  I just played around a bit with mine, it seems to be dynamically adjusted depending on the width of the browser window.  The size of the default image is 1875x1011, around 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  Although it looks narrow and wide if you reduce the size of the browser window the cover photo's width gets resized appropriately and it can get close to that aspect ratio, so it's probably a good idea to keep it somewhat close to 1.85:1, or can simply use 16:9.  Since the majority of people still use 1080p or 1440p displays if you can use an image that's around 2500x1400 in size most people will be able to get the maximum detail out of that cover photo.

EDIT: If you have 1080p or 1440p screen you can just use screenshots at those resolutions if you want to, they will be good enough.  So anything between 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 will be good enough.  You probably don't want to go below that size so it doesn't look blurry, and there's no need to go above that because most people will not be able to see more detail.

After a bit of testing it appears that the software automatically expands the image horizontally to fit the space.  You then move your image up and down to select the portion of the image you want to display.  So an image that is taller than wider will have more room to select an area to display.  An image that is wider than taller will have less room to move up and down.

I hope some of this makes sense.  

EDIT: Ninja'd by Ikon.

2 hours ago, ikonomov said:

Since the majority of people still use 1080p or 1440p displays

Believe it or not, most people (over 50% ) are probably using a smart phone.  On some sites it is over 80% smartphone. Then you have tablet and a small % on PC.  I actually checked this forum on smartphone and it looks pretty good but I did not look at any profile pics.  I much prefer PC.

2 minutes ago, Dragonblood said:

I much prefer PC.

Me too man.  PC rules!  :)  What could be better than sitting in front of a nice large monitor with a nice keyboard and mouse?

My cover photo is a 1920x1080 screenshot. It is converted to jpg using Irfanview to make the file size smaller. I just re-positioned it to show the section I wanted.