Armor made to look like a prosthetics [idea]

Elaura

It would seem up til now, Bethesda has been afraid to make their NPCs different. Hell, Morrowind didn't even have vanilla children.

I've seen blind eyes and eyepatch mods, but no peg legs or hooks. It seems a strange oversight.

Is it just not possible to create a piece of armor that looks like a stump, or a peg or hook, that simply uses all the body slots past it? Is it because left and right gloves and boots are mirrored and *must* take up the same slots on both sides?

Maybe double-amputees are the only thing possible, but with the right bladed gloves or magic floating spell, it could still be somewhat immersive. The Dwemer would have invented wheelchairs as well as mechanical limbs, surely.

I hope, in the future, Bethesda takes into account the fact that not everyone who comes back from war comes back whole.

The Skyrim Legendary Edition mod West Wind Combat Series - Assault Armor offers gauntlets called "Atronach" but which look like prosthetics to me.  You have a choice of either a right hand atronach or a left hand atronach.  The other hand of each version looks like a normal hand.

I haven't opened the mod in the CK to find out how they did this, but I'm going to guess that they simply attached a normal-looking hand to one side and the new atronach hand onto the other.  The game would interpret both normal hand and atronach hand as a typical pair of gauntlets.  

It should be possible to add a hook or peg leg to a character using this procedure.  

That sounds like a proof of concept to me! Thanks! Just thinking about the masks in the Divine Elegance Store, it lead me to the prosthetic metal noses and even toes found in ancient tombs. In an age of diversity, it would be great to see more in my game. I realize a lot of people feel their fantasy games should provide an archetype of perfection, which they already do, but I prefer my fantasy to be grounded in reality. Magic does have limitations, after all. Presumably a dead limb could be resurrected, but all that groaning and the smell? Would make you want to cut it off! LOL!

As it stands, I'm using a lovely little mod called Diversifying Skyrim that adds pregnant women, armor meshes that appear to have others carrying crying babies, and makes some blacksmiths and nobles appear to have enjoyed a lot of rich food. So far, my experience with it has been very satisfying. Rustleif, a heavy-set blacksmith in Dawnstar opines that his wife is expecting and should have a book to help her teach the baby of her Redguard heritage. Then, lo and behold, she comes around the corner and is *actually* showing! It was a moment I haven't felt since Emma introduced Children of Morrowind.

I'll check out West Wind, as I've recently found an Xedit script that will add items from any mod into levelled lists. Perhaps I will soo have at least some one-armed bandits in my game? (Please forgive the pun).

Thanks for the answer. Should it make this 50 year old gamer feel a little giddy to be in the company of such legends as Arthmoor and Pseron Wyrd? It's good to see familiar faces after all these years.