Videos and Images take the width of the entire text field

ikonomov

I wonder if there is a way to post and insert images and videos without them taking up the width of the entire text field.  I think it would make it easier to navigate threads with lots of media content if they could be embedded in a smaller size.  I tried inserting a code for an embedded video from youtube, but it didn't seem to work.  Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There's an option in the admin panel that will reduce the size of the displayed thumbnails but that's about it.

I can try downscaling that and see if it works for you but if not there's not going to be anything I could do about it since it would then require modifying the forum package. That's something I wish to avoid because it complicates updates in the future.

Embedded videos is one thing, but how about downscaling images.

On TAL there was an option in the gallery to copy a resolution by right clicking on an image and select the resolution, but take it with a grain of salt as I don't recall exactly how it was.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

There's an option in the admin panel that will reduce the size of the displayed thumbnails but that's about it.

I can try downscaling that and see if it works for you but if not there's not going to be anything I could do about it since it would then require modifying the forum package. That's something I wish to avoid because it complicates updates in the future.

I was just looking at the Bethesda net refugees thread and embedded images and videos look like a good size there, not as wide because of the column on the right side with the thread statistics.  What's nice is that if the browser window width is narrow enough that column disappears, but when it's wider I think the extra column helps both text and embedded media to not stretch so much for easier viewing.  I assume this thread statistics column only shows up after a certain number of posts in a thread.  I wonder, is there a way to have that column show all the time?  It will probably not be all that useful when there's only a few posts, but I think it actually helps the layout.  If this is possible maybe could be a better solution than trying to reduce the embedded media size and also have a consistency in the layout between all the threads.

EDIT: Sorry, the column with the thread statistics I was talking about is referred to as the sidebar in the layout customizer.

As I said, there's a setting in the ACP to restrict the size of the thumbnails, we can try that at something lower than the current 1000x750 size. It should prevent the images from getting too big regardless of when the stats column shows up.

If that doesn't help then people need to resize their images manually before adding them to the gallery and/or linking them in posts.

13 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

As I said, there's a setting in the ACP to restrict the size of the thumbnails, we can try that at something lower than the current 1000x750 size. It should prevent the images from getting too big regardless of when the stats column shows up.

If there is a maximum static size setting for thumbnails and it has a width of 1000 pixels, then I think the problem is not the size.  I think the thumbnail gets stretched to the entire width of the text field it is inserted in.  I might be wrong, but I believe that if the pixel size is lowered it will simply reduce the resolution of the thumbnails of images and videos, but they will still be stretched to take up the entire width of the text field.  The only exception should be smaller images with a size lower than the thumbnail.  Probably the only effect reducing that size would be faster page load.

EDIT: It might be worth a try though, if it's something easy to test...

EDIT2: Also it probably doesn't matter too much if neither is feasible, reducing the size or making the sidebar always show.  Judging by the threads at bethesda.net, most threads will probably reach a few pages long in no time.

I dunno what other think, but the pictures posted here has the right size IMO.

Is there a way to make that setting forum wide?

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I dunno what other think, but the pictures posted here has the right size IMO.

Is there a way to make that setting forum wide?

Ah, yeah, that definitely looks about 1000 pixels and a good size in my opinion.  This means that what I said earlier only applies to embedded videos.  I made the wrong assumption that the thumbnail size applies to both video and images and they get stretched regardless.

Edit: Actually the screenshots in that thread are not a good example, because they are small to begin with, but looking at larger images in a different thread seems to confirm that images don't get stretched like the way videos do and the thumbnail conforms to the maximum size of 1000x750.

So that means that changing the thumbnail size will not affect the size of embedded videos.  If there is a way to reduce the size of embedded videos to be the same as the thumbnails of images to 1000x750 pixels it could help navigating threads with lots of videos.  The other possible option is if the sidebar can be made visible regardless of the number of posts in a given thread.  If both can be done even better, so there can be consistency in the size between images and videos and also layouts between threads.

I've lowered the thumbnail size to 700x700. Let's see how this works out once the forum has had time to process the existing posts.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

I've lowered the thumbnail size to 700x700. Let's see how this works out once the forum has had time to process the existing posts.

Yeah, I think that's actually a good change.  I said earlier that I thought 1000x750 was OK, but that's because almost always I keep the browser window not big enough to allow the images to stretch all the way to 1000 pixels.  Definitely a good decision, imo.  I assume there's no way to do something similar to lower the size of the frame for embedded videos as well, then?

Allright then.  Thank you for trying.  There's always the option to just insert a link, which is probably a better way of sharing videos anyways.

Not long after I posted that last response I found an embedding setting on a different tab. It looks like that's shrunk those down to a much more manageable size.

• Like 2

Hehe This is perfect!  It's funny how solutions a lot of times present themselves after we admit defeat...

Thank you :)

• Haha 2

personalty I think its a very great looking and very aesthetically looking look, it makes things look nicer for the viewer and gives a more pleasant looking experience regardless what they are looking at

now my combat thread looks good now :starwars:

I have no Idea what Sir Arthmoor & Ikonomov where talking about? I'm only here for the combat part, when God was raining brains I was holding an umbrella :facepalm:

Thank you ... I'm just glad you guys know what your doing :whistle:

On 5/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Arthmoor said:

It looks like the thumbnails of images already posted have been resized according to the new setting, but their frame dimension has not been.  The result is that older thumbnails that are now resized to 700x700 can get stretched out a bit fill the old frame of 1000x750.  Hopefully this doesn't butcher too many posts. :(  Simply editing the post by deleting the previously inserted image but keeping the inserted image file fixes it, as the image gets reinserted into the post with the new correct size.  I think 700x700 was the right decision thought, it looks to be a perfect size both for embedded media and images.

Do you have an example of one it broke? According to the ACP controls it's supposed to resize existing thumbnails and that's all. If it's not reducing the space around them that's probably a bug in the software that would need to be reported to IPB.

I just edited my first post here https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5795-a-fun-challenge/, in which I uploaded the exact same image (Skyrim skills) with a different name just to test.  I had the exact image inserted two times and when I made the browser window large enough the first image was larger than the second one, and also exhibited artifacts that you see when it's being enlarged.  Sadly I changed it after reporting what I had observed here.  Will try to find another older post with a large enough image to be able to show this.

The inserted image in this post is 700x394 pixels large, but it's being stretched to a frame that's 1000 pixels wide.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:35 AM, phatbassanchor said:

You bet.  All I've done is forum this and post that all week.  Things will settle down soon.  I will be receiving a new PC soon that is light years beyond my old laptop, which is about to give up the ghost.  So, I'm looking forward to creating my own mods now that I'll have a machine that can actually run Xedit and CK.  I'd like to be making my own followers and npc replacements for myself and to share.  That means a lot less time in forums.  But, I'm getting email notices for messages here and check my gmail three to five times a day.  So, whether here or on Nexus I can always be found online as long as I'm awake to reply.  Hahaha:lmao:

Adventure on my friend, Phat:blackhand:

PS... Boa is new...  by Jinxxed0  (Have two more from the same author I can show off next time)

20210415183312_1.jpg

image deleted

EDIT: Expanding the original post and enlarging the browser window enough should allow you to see both images next to each other.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, Arthmoor said:

It looks like that's shrunk those down to a much more manageable size.

How about 640x480?

4 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

If it's not reducing the space around them that's probably a bug in the software that would need to be reported to IPB.

I dunno what you think.  But the spoiler BBCode seems bugged to me as it messes up the whole post, meaning I cannot type anything after a spoiler, because the software automatically encompasses the text or whatever it is into the spoiler tag without having a second spoiler.  That is damn annoying and I dunno how many times I actually cancel the post editor and rewrite the post a second time or a third time.

Imagine how it is with pictures one wants to have a in spoiler that doesn't seem to work, not as intended anyway.

You need to keep in mind that this isn't an outdated and unlicensed copy of the forum package like they still use on Nexus. IPB has made it clear they're in the process of killing off bbcode support, so you're going to need to get used to doing things the way their editor wants them done.

I  think 640x480 is probably too small, which is why I settled on 800x600. Even that, IMO, is too small but everyone else appears happy with that. The 700x700 version didn't really come out quite right.

• Like 1