AFK Mods Wiki

Leonardo

When I read a couple of posts here I thought why not copy those posts into a wiki page, but then I realized that AFK Mods doesn't have a wiki or does a wiki exist.

A wiki isn't something I'm looking to set up. Those take a great deal more work to keep running smoothly than a forum package and they're often prone to a lot more security issued due to the complexity of their codebases.

Then this forum package must be really easy to setup.

A basic locked down version of wikimedia isn't that hard. As Bethesda did for Creation Kit. It's the backend multiuser multiwiki enhancements that add complexity and security issues. Bethesda didn't do them, so the Creation Kit wiki is very slow. UESP did a better job, but they also added a lot of specialized templates and name spaces.

While I'm a former developer (and still on the tech list), the codebase has changed a lot in 15 years. So I'd not be of much help.

Still, this forum package gets the job done. Just treat the OP as the Main page, and the rest as Talk page subsections, as is the practice for the big U*P releases and many of the mod releases.

Just saw the topic here, I'm simply re-posting my response from the other thread.  I don't see a need or much use for a wiki even if it doesn't require any additional work.

Yes, actually IPB is very easy to set up and generally doesn't require a lot of constant attention beyond the initial stages.

Plus as long as you don't start introducing a ton of custom stuff the regular codebase updates are also pretty easy to do.

I've talked to plenty of people who have run wikis and they say it's a nightmare to keep them in good shape. Which is why so many places put them into locked down states like the CK wiki, where it's barely functional and even logging in to do stuff is a huge hassle.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I've talked to plenty of people who have run wikis and they say it's a nightmare to keep them in good shape. Which is why so many places put them into locked down states like the CK wiki, where it's barely functional and even logging in to do stuff is a huge hassle.

Sounds like a waste of time for something that will be impossible to keep up to date and relevant.  Mods, settings and builds are probably constantly changing for most people.  If they have a hard time keeping the CK wiki functional with content that is not going to change all that much what's the chance of not having that happen with content that we know for sure needs to be updated regularly in order not to become obsolete...

It is a double edged sword. Search engines love wikis. Depending on what the content of the wiki is, it could generate enormous amounts of traffic.  A blog could have some big potential also. 

Only let people who you trust have administrative access.  @alt3rn1ty  is already a resident Blogger. I bet she would create some excellent wiki pages and may have some fun at it.  How about a NoMansSky Wiki Page? :alien: LOL

On 5/24/2021 at 1:20 AM, Dragonblood said:

@alt3rn1ty  is already a resident Blogger. I bet she would create some excellent wiki pages and may have some fun at it.  How about a NoMansSky Wiki Page? :alien: LOL

Ahem, "she" is a he, and have plenty of things to do RL including caring for elderly mother in these times, plus my sproutlings, and starting to enjoy taking my better half around the Highlands with a new found freedom recently, plus a regular career and plenty of time for actual gaming, as opposed to modding / supporting games companies that have earned a fortune. I gave up everything Bethesda and modding to have some time to actually enjoy the games I choose these days :). Currently thats limited to No Man's Sky, X4 Foundations and Cyberpunk 2077 (though the latter game is probably a fleeting interest which wont last as long as the former two).

I maybe spend ten minutes here occasionally just to post anything interesting I find possibly of interest to the people in this forum, like Paint.NET updates, or if I have nothing to do in the garden currently.

So I reckon you are onto a bad bet volunteering me for unpaid work on a wiki, been there before on another forum and that grew old fast :lmao:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Ahem, "she" is a he

Does anyone else use your account? I conversed with someone using this username on Bethesda 5 years ago who specifically told me they were an "older" woman.

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

as opposed to modding / supporting games companies that have earned a fortune

Correct, The developers are making money, the youtubers are making money etc, but the modders are making nothing. I am not a fan of this.

A wiki page is just a different format.  It would not require you doing anything different from what you are doing now.  That was the point the OP was trying to make. Some of the content here may be better suited to a wiki or blog type of format.  I thought of your No Man's Sky thread.  No volunteering, only a suggestion.

54 minutes ago, Dragonblood said:

Does anyone else use your account? I conversed with someone using this username on Bethesda 5 years ago who specifically told me they were an "older" woman.

Probably, I am not a member anymore, its possible the web site could have been hacked by people looking for an angle to exploit something by using a known name. More than likely it's also possible it could have been me fuzzing the info for anyone I barely know trying to build a picture of me, I dont recall :shrug::lol:

Anyway, back to topics I am interested in and hopefully I dont get anymore @ me's in topics I dont give a rats ass about.

3 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

I dont get anymore @ me's in topics I dont give a rats ass about.

You wont from me. I don't much like you. :popcorn: LOL

4 minutes ago, Dragonblood said:

You wont from me. I don't much like you. :popcorn: LOL

No need for this, but the feelings mutual.

Guys, there's no need for that kind of thing. Dial it back.