Bethesda net refugees

Uncus

9 minutes ago, Rotzi said:

I watched the Starfield teaser again but still....nothing. Not a shred of anticipation for that game. I always liked Sci-Fi a tad more then fantasy but i don't look forward to that. And it means that the day it comes out will be 11 years after their last great game. (I can't count F4 in. All in all it is rather meh. To many generic settlements that need my help.) And i don't know if they could pull out a universe with enough lore and background like that. For me Mass Effect 1 is still the standard for that. I'm afraid it will be Settlement Building in space.  

I’m taking a wait and see stance on this one, want see some independent game play from some one like Sah I can trust. By independent I mean some one who bought the game after launch with their own money, not an early access freebie sponsored by developers or publishers.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, Fenrus said:

Maybe (for both Fallout 4-chat and skyrim-chat) divide them into.

General discussion. Game play/story discussion. Mod recommendations (different from making,releasing mods channel). Help and support 

I have relayed your suggestions to Bethesda. Of the three you mentioned, they seemed most interested in the gameplay/story discussion chat idea.  There are already Elder Scrolls and Fallout support chats, so I got the impression that will probably not be happening. They didn't seem too interested in mod recommendation forums either. Their position seems to be that there never has been one before, (folks have always used the general mods forum for that) so they don't really feel a need for one now. 

On the bright side, it sounds like they have plans to open up Creation Club channels.  So... I guess that's something. 

I'm sorry I couldn't bring better news.  

Least y

33 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I have relayed your suggestions to Bethesda. Of the three you mentioned, they seemed most interested in the gameplay/story discussion chat idea.  There are already Elder Scrolls and Fallout support chats, so I got the impression that will probably not be happening. They didn't seem too interested in mod recommendation forums either. Their position seems to be that there never has been one before, (folks have always used the general mods forum for that) so they don't really feel a need for one now. 

On the bright side, it sounds like they have plans to open up Creation Club channels.  So... I guess that's something. 

Least you tried mate, Thanks for the effort it is appreciated.

10 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Thanks - I don't think the news was that bad. :-)

I think having a story/gameplay channel + extra CC channels would be good.

The support channels are hidden at the bottom of the channel list, so I think people use the 'Fallout-4' chat to ask for help sometimes. (Fallout support appears to be currently 'Fallout 76' support.)

Edited by Fenrus
updated

On 6/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, Rotzi said:

I watched the Starfield teaser again but still....nothing. Not a shred of anticipation for that game. I always liked Sci-Fi a tad more then fantasy but i don't look forward to that. And it means that the day it comes out will be 11 years after their last great game. (I can't count F4 in. All in all it is rather meh. To many generic settlements that need my help.) And i don't know if they could pull out a universe with enough lore and background like that. For me Mass Effect 1 is still the standard for that. I'm afraid it will be Settlement Building in space.  

Yeah it did nothing for me which kind of surprised me. I thought I would like something about it but it’s just another game like a dozen others that don’t interest me. Still waiting on TES VI I guess. Maybe I can watch my grandkids play it. I may have to go back to reading books again. 

One thing Howard said in an interview with the Telegraph this week actually managed to pique my interest in Starfield for the first time:

“It's also a bit more hardcore of a role playing game than we've done. It's got some really great character systems – choosing your background, things like that. We’re going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be.”

Here is a link to the interview, if anybody is interested:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/starfield-e3-2021-reveal-exclusive-todd-howard-spent-25-years/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

One thing Howard said in an interview with the Telegraph this week actually managed to pique my interest in Starfield for the first time:

“It's also a bit more hardcore of a role playing game than we've done. It's got some really great character systems – choosing your background, things like that. We’re going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be.”

Here is a link to the interview, if anybody is interested:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/starfield-e3-2021-reveal-exclusive-todd-howard-spent-25-years/

As an old school RPG player since 1980 I can totally dig the RP aspect.:firerabbit:

I think Starfield might me a game that I wished came out 20 years ago. (When I was younger and more interested.)

Better character choices were probably a major request. (No more Shaun and Spouse.) Maybe it has some choices like in  'Alternate start mods'?   I much prefer to make my own character without anything forced on them.

Years ago I played Elite and Starflight 2 - both open world space games. But that was in the 80s and early 90s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenrus said:

I think Starfield might me a game that I wished came out 20 years ago. (When I was younger and more interested.)

Better character choices were probably a major request. (No more Shaun and Spouse.) Maybe it has some choices like in  'Alternate start mods'?   I much prefer to make my own character without anything forced on them.

Years ago I played Elite and Starflight 2 - both open world space games. But that was in the 80s and early 90s.

The more options the merrier I say :)  I don't mind playing some games that have predetermined characters like Geralt of Rivia in Witcher games or De Sardet, a noble of the Merchant Congregation in Greedfall.  As long as there are different ways to play as the character Phat is happy.  However, I play that type of game once in a while with much less frequent replay than totally open world environments... :stare::fear:  :beer:I live in Skyrim.  :wub:

I'm hoping that Starfield will allow me to make a Han Solo meets Malcolm Reynolds type leading a gang of misfits that work together with freakish efficiency.  But, the trailer makes it look more like NASA meets Star Trek, all clean and sanitary.  I prefer to have grey area choices like old school Fallout.  Joining Constellation seems more like we've joined the United Federation of Planets or worse yet, the Union of Allied Planets or the Empire!  I don't like that aspect.  I'd rather be independent.  Maybe I get in a scrap with an officer and end up on the outs with this Constellation... there's always mods, right?  :rofl:

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

1486542186_65034-1-1430105640foreverfreemoddinglogo.png.1f74648b8113e29e6260533e3350e142.png

9 minutes ago, phatbassanchor said:

Joining Constellation seems more like we've joined the United Federation of Planets or worse yet, the Union of Allied Planets or the Empire!  I don't like that aspect.  I'd rather be independent. 

In the same interview Howard goes on to say:

“Well, we like to put you in a world where we're not dragging you by the nose and saying you must do X, Y and Z, and that it's okay for you to want to test the [game’s boundaries]. You know, can I read this book? Can I pick this up? Can I do this? What if I do this? What if I do this? And the game is saying ‘yes’ a lot.

“And it has large scale goals and storytelling, but that minute-to-minute feels rewarding for you. And if you just want to pass the time and go watch the sunset and pick flowers it's rewarding in that way too. The quiet moments feel really really good.”

To me, this sounds like we won't be forced into a predetermined story (as we were in Fallout 3 and 4) but rather something more like a typical Elder Scrolls game, where there's a main quest if we want it, but we can also choose to ignore the main quest completely.  I picture our character being able to ignore factions and go our own way, as in Skyrim.  At least that's how I interpret his words.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

In the same interview he goes on to say:

“Well, we like to put you in a world where we're not dragging you by the nose and saying you must do X, Y and Z, and that it's okay for you to want to test the [game’s boundaries]. You know, can I read this book? Can I pick this up? Can I do this? What if I do this? What if I do this? And the game is saying ‘yes’ a lot.

“And it has large scale goals and storytelling, but that minute-to-minute feels rewarding for you. And if you just want to pass the time and go watch the sunset and pick flowers it's rewarding in that way too. The quiet moments feel really really good.”

To me, this sounds like we won't be forced into a predetermined story (as we were in Fallout 3 and 4) but rather something more like a typical Elder Scrolls game, where there's a main quest if we want it, but we can also choose to ignore the main quest completely.  I picture our character being able to ignore factions and go our own way, as in Skyrim.  At least that's how I interpret his words.  

Todd has said many things before, most of which were fallacies, half truths and utter lies.  It just works my phat assets!  Haha:rofl:  Todd can make a sun baked dog turd sound like prime rib.  I believe it if I can see it for myself and sniff the wind for shite!:rofl:

Thanks mate, cheers:beer:

Adventure on, Phat:blackhand:

I hope Starfield has modding and base building. These kept Fallout 4 going for me.

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

Todd has said many things before

I still remember the Oblivion E3 demos. :D

• Like 2

Starflight and Starflight 2 were both two of my favorite games back in the C-64 days. I've been wanting a space RPG like them ever since. Hopefully Starfield can finally deliver on that. Empyrion is sort of close in that it has a massive galaxy to explore, but the RPG elements are lacking without a really good scenario mod for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Starflight and Starflight 2 were both two of my favorite games back in the C-64 days. I've been wanting a space RPG like them ever since. Hopefully Starfield can finally deliver on that. Empyrion is sort of close in that it has a massive galaxy to explore, but the RPG elements are lacking without a really good scenario mod for it.

This is the first time I ever heard of Starflight so I cannot say much about it, but I did played Elite a lot on a ZX Spectrum in the 80's and 35 years later I still have both game and computer intact.

After I played Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition I still miss the RPG thing in that game, so you're not alone waiting for such a space RPG game.

4 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

This is the first time I ever heard of Starflight so I cannot say much about it, but I did played Elite a lot on a ZX Spectrum in the 80's and 35 years later I still have both game and computer intact.

After I played Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition I still miss the RPG thing in that game, so you're not alone waiting for such a space RPG game.

In some ways in am becomeing carfully interested but I’ll wait until after launch and see how it is recieved by the community.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Pseron Wyrd said:

MrMattyPlays did a YT vid about this recently.  I have to admit, that did catch my interest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I played Elite on the C64 in the 80s. Also played Starflight 2 on a PC in the early 90s. Completed SF2s main quest a few times. It is still my favorite space game. (In the later 90s I moved away from space games. )

I hope Starfield has some similarities to Starflight.

Edited by Fenrus
spelling
  • Like 1

Well I played the Starflight games and loved them.  Hard to compare those to a modern game like Starfield though.  But if we find a red herring item on a planet that's always just slightly bigger than our ship maximum storage, I'll know someone in the devs played Starflight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Well I played the Starflight games and loved them.  Hard to compare those to a modern game like Starfield though.  But if we find a red herring item on a planet that's always just slightly bigger than our ship maximum storage, I'll know someone in the devs played Starflight.

Fallout has been my primary sci fi game since dropping CnC, Half Life/Blue Shift and Doom 3.  I still have those old CD's.  I just haven't played any of them in many years.  

TBH, most sci fi game titles just don't measure up to my expectations.  I recently purchased a copy of the Outer Worlds.  I'm looking forward to playing that and Horizon Zero Dawn very soon.  I need to set up my new to me PC.  I gave HZD a spin on the old laptop here...  Can you say severe frame rate stutter, children?  I knew you could:rofl:  RIP Fred Rogers.

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 2

I wanted to like Outer Worlds, but IMO they went way too overboard with the humor.  I don't mind a little in game, but it seems they went out of their way to make sure every dialog had some sort of corny humor to it.  It was like they would write up some lines of dialog and then someone in the group would say "Okay, now how do we make this funny?".  Even some of the weapons are what I'd call 'joke' weapons.  That's just way too much for me to absorb.  But some people like that, and that's fine.  It just isn't for me.

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Obsidian.  But Outer Worlds is a game that interests me even less than most of their games.  I hate the art style.  I think it's garish, it grates on my nerves every time I see a screenshot of the game.  I also hate the fact that it is first-person only (I play in third-person).  And, as LeBurns mentions, the humor is yet another turn-off.  I didn't like the humor in Fallout 2 or New Vegas either.   

I am very interested in Horizon Zero Dawn, though, now that it has come to PC.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I wanted to like Outer Worlds, but IMO they went way too overboard with the humor.  I don't mind a little in game, but it seems they went out of their way to make sure every dialog had some sort of corny humor to it.  It was like they would write up some lines of dialog and then someone in the group would say "Okay, now how do we make this funny?".  Even some of the weapons are what I'd call 'joke' weapons.  That's just way too much for me to absorb.  But some people like that, and that's fine.  It just isn't for me.

No worries brother:beer:  I enjoyed the humor and pop culture references in the older Fallout titles.  It ranged from the deepest, darkest gallows humor to all out silliness.  So, I'm actually looking forward to the humor myself.  

I expect that kind of thing from Obsidian and enjoy it.  However, I'm hoping for something completely different from Starfield.  I love sci fi as much as fantasy.  I live for both.  Yet, the only titles that have really interested me in sci fi gaming in a long time are the Outer Worlds and this new Starfield.  Horizon Zero Dawn is more of a fantasy game with sci fi elements IMHO.  I expect the Outer Worlds to be off beat and quirky.  However, I'm hoping for more of a Star Trek meets Han Solo type of space exploration role play in Starfield.  I remember hearing "like Skyrim in space" and I'm really hoping BGS can deliver on that aspect.:highfive: 

Adventure on brother, Phat:blackhand:

7 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I'm no fan of Obsidian.  But Outer Worlds is a game that interests me even less than most of their games.  I hate the art style.  I think it's garish, it grates on my nerves every time I see a screenshot of the game.  I also hate the fact that it is first-person only (I play in third-person).  And, as LeBurns mentions, the humor is yet another turn-off.  I didn't like the humor in Fallout 2 or New Vegas either.   

I am very interested in Horizon Zero Dawn, though, now that it has come to PC.

I agree the humor and art style of Outer Worlds are not for everyone.  The humor in Fallout 2 was a miss with my son.  He still prefers the original game over F2.  He also prefers the original Diablo to any of the sequel titles.  He preferred the dark feel of the first game and didn't like how they kept lightening the tone as the franchise progressed.  We agree in that aspect.  Yet, I still played a lot of Diablo 3 and Diablo 2 is still my favorite title in the franchise.  I play both Fallout 1&2 together as one continuous game.  I still have them installed from the original discs.  I have Fallout 3, New Vegas and F4 on Steam.  I've played tens of thousands hours of Fallout titles over the years.  I actually miss that humor in the titles where it is less present.  

I've watched enough game play videos of the Outer Worlds that I'm confident that I will enjoy the game.  But, I don't recommend that game for folks who don't like the quirky humor.  I get why y'all don't like it.  So, I'm not suggesting that you must try it.  Just that I am looking forward to it in large part because of the humor.  I also like the grey area choices.  That is why I did not play CP2077.  I didn't see any grey or good endings at all, just one depressing result after another.  I like a bit of humor but a game without hope is a lost cause with me.:rofl::redface:

Gaming is the one language that I can speak with both my son and grandson.  My grandson plays mostly titles I wouldn't play myself, like Fortnite, WWE, horror games, lots of Mortal Kombat and similar titles.  I don't go for any of those titles yet still have loads of fond memories of watching him play the games he enjoys.  The one title we have in common is Horizon Zero Dawn.  I instantly fell in love with the graphical style, characters and gameplay.  The story is very well written and the world is superb.  The weapons and tech are pretty cool as well:wub: 

I have a whopping six hours of gameplay in HZD at present.  It runs like mud on my old laptop.  Yet, I am already hooked and really look forward to playing it on my new machine that can actually handle the graphics at 60 fps! :bunny: Woohoo:banana::rofl:

We are each our own unique brand of weird.  I don't expect my friends to always agree with me.  We grow in the sharing of our differences.  So, be unique, like what you like and enjoy what makes you happy.  I'm blessed to have such a fine bunch of friends with unique opinions rather than a bunch of "Yes Man" types.  We have enough in common to be compatible and enough differences to be complimentary.  Those are qualities I seek out in all of my personal relationships, including my dear friends.:highfive:

Adventure on brothers, Phat:blackhand:

1486542186_65034-1-1430105640foreverfreemoddinglogo.png.1f74648b8113e29e6260533e3350e142.png

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

He also prefers the original Diablo to any of the sequel titles.  He preferred the dark feel of the first game and didn't like how they kept lightening the tone as the franchise progressed.

I'm actually looking forward to the remake, though I hate that they felt they had to censor it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

I'm actually looking forward to the remake, though I hate that they felt they had to censor it.

In the 50's and 60's the world started to get more freedom on all fronts, the 70's was ok too but in the 80's and 90's blue meenies started getting more power simply because the powers that be did not dare to say get a life when people started complaining about things they mostly did not know anything about or understand. taking things out of context and wanted to rewrite history just because it did not fit their mind set and could not understand that these things evolve, what is acceptable behaviour in one century is not what future centuries accept that's just the way it was. that does not mean you cant find values of the past good bad or indifferent, but you do have to accept those were the values of the time.

I have one space game in my steam library. It is called Astroneer. It is a sandbox game where you land on a planet and can build a base. But you have to watch your oxygen levels and walk with 'a tether' pipe to an oxygen supply. You can terraform the planet and mine for different things. There are giant caves that can be explored and easily get lost in.

(I purchased it a few years ago and forget it is there. But it is an ok game if anyone is interested.)

I think Wing commander 2 back in the 90s turned me off space games. All that combat and flying through asteroid fields - looked good but I wasn't any good at it.) Never had any interest in the Outer worlds, or Mass effect either.