Bethesda net refugees

Uncus

Extremo-feminists really aren't that bad phat, more bark than bite. :lol: 

Mods are sidelines, part of the game fun, can't take them too seriously. Well you could, but it solves nothing when the original point was the enjoyment of playing an enhanced game. We're not promised more from buying a game. I made mods for years on PCs, mostly audio mods, but did it for my own enjoyment, then shared them. This unintentionally made a lot of people happy and chomping for more, apparently I did good. But really just did it for my own enjoyment. Didn't let it be a burden, if it was I stopped doing it, did something else. I mostly don't do audio mods now as game sound has improved so much. The exaggerated sense of self-importance and obsession = a sh|t way to be. 

I've noticed sound mods for FO4 but haven't bothered installing any so far, the game sounds pretty good. Making sound mods is a time consuming noisy process, so unless I find a game with bad sound, I don't. Those are now quite rare, the game audio standards and creativity are much higher now. I mostly did racing sims, flight sims and a few shooters.

The need to do stuff with sound sort of evaporated over time as the games got better, which I'm happy about, now I get to play more without the bad audio. Maybe others find the same thing, that it's getting harder to make desirable improvements to games. There's always room for art and creativity of course, but it's not often noticed and respected in a game that's already very good, created by pros. A lot of mods get a 'meh' response because their impact on the game is barely noticeable. But if people are attached to getting better feedback as gratification (nothing wrong with appreciation) this may be the source of frustration or a sense of not being appreciated. But that's art. Personally I'm not a fan of Vincent van Gogh, looks like the work of a guy who can't really paint too well. :P

I would not pay for a mod for a game, if you're that good get a game studio to pay you to make games, then everyone benefits. 

Art?  I prefer Frank Frazetta and Boris Valejo to Vinnie van Gogh, Picaso or even Rembrandt for that matter. Hahaha:highfive:   TBH, Rembrandt could paint his @$$ off!  It's just his subject matter that was boring.  But, I don't blame the guy for painting portraits of the rich and shameless of his day.  A man has to eat, right?  Hahaha:lmao:

Feminists?  What in my reply gave you that impression?  They are far from the only group that fits the description.  My commentary, like I'm sure the first response was intended, what a shotgun blast at everyone who thinks of their own needs first, has their own opinions and God help you if you disagree.  It was a shot at the entitled attitude I see in far too many folks these day, particularly online.  It's the primary reason that Phat does NOT tweet!  I have no patience for anyone who takes opinion as fact and is always ready to stomp on anyone who dares disagree.  I generally just avoid those matters entirely.  

As for the audio mods... well, Phat is a retired pro musician... we do appreciate great audio!  But, you are correct about the improvements in game sound design.  It's improved right along side the graphics.

I do use one audio mod in Skyrim...  Replace Nirnroot Sound with Windchimes by wskeever:  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/39151

In Fallout 4 I just ran a few extra radio stations.  My favorite was Swingin Baby by CoopeZz and Cubox (24X7 Electroswing!):  https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33595

Adventure on my friend, Phat:blackhand:

It was a shot at the entitled attitude I see in far too many folks these day, particularly online.  It's the primary reason that Phat does NOT tweet!

You're not alone there, the uptight always want me to get upset about something. I'm not into it. :lol: Emotions are for physical stuff witch matters, not for wasting on figments and constructs. Benefactors helped pay bills in prior centuries, so I guess they got what they would pay for. I'm likewise a former muso and self-learned my way around game audio from that. Saw the radio station mods a few months back, but attempt to play without radio. Still to try Skyrim. I spent the morning evaluating new games which also play offline, and Skyrim was one that I short-listed. Will probably buy that and 5 other titles tomorrow. Spoiled for choice by top games today.

Have a great day.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:10 PM, Rotzi said:

Thank you. I wonder if it is ok to create a screenshot thread here or better in the Skyrim section. I know there are galleries but i always liked that anyone could post pictures in one thread.

If you want to do that I'd suggest you upload to the galleries and link to pics. Otherwise you risk saturating your max upload limit for the given thread, which irrc we still have in place.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Pulsar3057 said:

Extremo-feminists really aren't that bad phat, more bark than bite. :lol: 

We don't do politics here, everyone gets on better that way.

5 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

If you want to do that I'd suggest you upload to the galleries and link to pics. Otherwise you risk saturating your max upload limit for the given thread, which irrc we still have in place.

Thanks for the advice. I already noticed the attachement limit and repurposed the topic to extend the use of it. I will make more use of the gallery. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:19 AM, Pseron Wyrd said:

By any chance, did you try to click on her post about 13 hours ago? If so, I think I know what happened. A user reported her post and a Global Moderator removed it.  I suspect that you may have tried to click on her post at the same time it was removed.

If you're interested, here is Sah's post:

Loverslab.com

Skyrim chat & mods ... and the [censored] banners are all free!

I have no idea why this post was reported. And I have no idea why it was removed. It appears that the only objectionable part was removed by the auto-censor (merely linking to Loverslab is not a violation, as far as I am aware).  The whole thing is a mystery to me.  :facepalm:

"this is a job for Detective Sah!"

now that you mention this I had no idea this ever happened?

and that's OK (I would have gotten a warning or a banning if this was by a moderators hand)

I do accept the theory that Bethesda will not link with any sites that has naught advertisements in the back ground, its got to think about its viewers age rating (think it was +15 not sure) ... if a Global Moderator took it down its OK too, there just doing there job just wish they do it properly ... I'm one post away from life time suspension ... as the Spartans would say "A Glorious Death"

Honestly I did not mention Loverslab as a joke, if I go there its because I'm seeking a desperate answer some question or some fancy sexy armor mod, why judge a web site because of what it looks like instead off the information it has to offer

if some one reported me for this .... so be it ... who am I to question any one?

like I said I'm totally unaware of this until now ... does it matter any more  ... NO

They just shut down the last post thread, seems a bit petty to me. We were just having a last bit of fun on whatfor the most part was great forum, and better than some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uncus said:

They just shut down the last post thread, seems a bit petty to me. We were just having a last bit of fun on whatfor the most part was great forum, and better than some.

It was flagged by a forum member, and that forced the moderator's hand.  Once something is flagged, moderators are answerable to Bethesda for how they handle the issue.  If they don't follow Bethesda's rules they themselves are in trouble.

That same user also flagged Harleyone's "I win" thread  (a continuation of the "last post" thread), and the "It's time to say goodbye Bethesda" thread.  That is why one thread has been removed, one thread has been edited and two forum members have been banned.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

It was flagged by a forum member, and that forced the moderator's hand.  Once something is flagged, moderators are answerable to Bethesda for how they handle the issue.  If they don't follow Bethesda's rules they themselves are in trouble. By the way, that same user also flagged Harleyone's "I win" thread  (a continuation of the "last post" thread), and the "It's time to say goodbye Bethesda" thread.  That is why a thread is removed, a thread is heavily edited and two members are banned.

I would ask who that user was, but probably best I didn't know, and of course I know you shouldn't tell so I won't ask.

I didn't get banned, but I did get my first warning ever.  But I deserved it I know.  Talking politics is a no-no for good reason.  I would feel sad about losing my perfect record for all the years since the Morrowind days, but the forums dying anyway so no real loss I guess.

29 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

It was flagged by a forum member, and that forced the moderator's hand.  Once something is flagged, moderators are answerable to Bethesda for how they handle the issue.  If they don't follow Bethesda's rules they themselves are in trouble.

That same user also flagged Harleyone's "I win" thread  (a continuation of the "last post" thread), and the "It's time to say goodbye Bethesda" thread.  That is why one thread has been removed, one thread has been edited and two forum members have been banned.

well thanks for letting us know although I understand why the thread that went political was flagged but the other two seem s like the action of a troll to me.

4 hours ago, Uncus said:

Adella got banned on bethnet!  IDK what's up over there.  TBH, I never really liked the site, only the company.  Bethnet always felt like us against them.  So, now that I've found all my friends and where everyone will be going forward they can shut the whole thing down AFAIC.  I actually like this forum.  It is well organized with good features as well as having good company.  So, thanks for the invite my friend :)

I'm just trying to be a polite guest.  Arthmoor was generous to offer us this space.  Thank you Arthmoor :)  

Adventure on brother, Phat :) 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, phatbassanchor said:

IDK what's up over there. 

Honestly, I don't really understand the two bans, myself.  What's the point of banning anybody at this late date?  It's a completely pointless gesture as far as I'm concerned.  A lot of our Global Moderators are new, and, what's more, many of them are not familiar with the community or are even familiar with Bethesda's games. They were hired, I suspect, for their experience moderating other sites, some of which may not even be related to gaming at all.  The moderating staff has changed considerably over the last year or two.  And not for the better, in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, phatbassanchor said:

Adella got banned on bethnet! 

Most people who are not just part of the echo are going to get banned from somewhere sooner or later. :D Life goes on. LOL She picked a good time to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Honestly, I don't really understand the two bans, myself.  What's the point of banning anybody at this late date?  It's a completely pointless gesture as far as I'm concerned.  A lot of our Global Moderators are new, and, what's more, many of them are not familiar with the community or are even familiar with Bethesda's games. They were hired, I suspect, for their experience moderating other sites, some of which may not even be related to gaming at all.  The moderating staff has changed considerably over the last year or two.  And not for the better, in my opinion. 

I can fully relate as I was "permanently banned" not all that long ago myself over a total misunderstanding.  I had to read the "offending" post three times before it finally occurred to me just what was being taken totally out of context and just how badly it was misinterpreted.  By the time it actually dawned on me what THEY were suggesting I had said... I was physically ill, literally.  I almost lost my lunch.  So, I wrote an official apology, explained the situation and essentially begged to be allowed access.  TBH, I had done nothing wrong.  I was barely allowed back in for the finale' of the whole sh** show.  But, I ate twelve tons of crow just so I didn't miss out on my friends whereabouts going forward. 

I've had the phatbassanchor handle since there has been an internet.  It was one of my first non-aol email addresses (the other being under my birthname for employment and other non-musical business contacts) and has been my screen name since myspace.  I have a twenty plus year reputation as a free thinking yet respectful professional adult attached to that moniker that bethesda attempted to trash in an instant by saying some trumped up BS.  Still SMH over that nonsense.  It makes me sick that so many folks are ready to make a federal case out of a misunderstanding these days.  I would not want to be a comedian in this environment, that is certain!  All it takes is one angry person to start blogging or tweeting and next thing you know someone's career just got trashed over a misunderstanding or a less than classy comment.  It's madness IMHO. 

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dragonblood said:

Most people who are not just part of the echo are going to get banned from somewhere sooner or later. :D Life goes on. LOL She picked a good time to do it.

Agreed i have managed to keep my nose clean for a few years on there ahem but surely everyone knows ( that includes me) what you risk if you venture into politics, it is after all a gaming site and although i don't know, i assume there are thousands of politics" sites out there if thats what you want to vent about. I did a risky one though but hey its closing..... this one seems fine so fa.

5 minutes ago, XRAT said:

Agreed i have managed to keep my nose clean for a few years on there ahem but surely everyone knows ( that includes me) what you risk if you venture into politics, it is after all a gaming site and although i don't know, i assume there are thousands of politics" sites out there if thats what you want to vent about. I did a risky one though but hey its closing..... this one seems fine so fa.

I think the A1 best thing I have seen here is that 1 if anything goes too far there will be a post on the thread like hi guys lets keep it civilized, no threats or big brother stuff just simple request which as far as I have seen is respected and complied with. 2 the people who moderate seem to have grasp of the English language and know when a word is used correctly and when it is an insult or slur.

Bravo for that words are of themselves not bad or evil, its the way some people use them that causes offense, both to the language and those of us that like our rich and diverse language.

I hope this post is accepted in the spirit it is sent and is in no way a political statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

I had to read the "offending" post three times before it finally occurred to me just what was being taken totally out of context and just how badly it was misinterpreted. 

See, this is where I think Bethesda made a serious mistake. Back in "the old days" moderators were entirely volunteers, enlisted exclusively from existing members. These people were familiar not only with the games but also with the community itself.  They could tell when someone was joking and when someone was not joking.  They knew all these people well because they'd been posting with them for years.

The Global Moderators who have been hired over the last two years or so do not appear to know the community very well, at least as far as I can tell. They do not know individual quirks of people's personalities, and how to interpret the way an individual might express his or herself. Forum members are strangers to them.

Bethesda's forums are a lot more impersonal than when I joined back in 2002. I suppose that's to be expected, in a way.  Back then the forums were mainly only about Morrowind and the community was much smaller. The forums have grown from being a "small town" to a "major metropolis".  And along with that the old Pat O'Brian-style neighborhood beat cop who said hello to mothers and children on their front steps and stopped in to say hi to the local butcher has given way to mechanized, Robo Cop-style drones who blindly enforce orders without nuance. 

The forums today are not the forums I joined so many years ago.  Maybe that's progress, I don't know.  I 'm too close to it to trust my own judgement on the matter.  I only know that I have become increasingly disenchanted with the place.  I'm almost at a point where I don't care anymore.  I think I'm actually happier posting here and at Chorrol these days. 

13 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

See, this is where I think Bethesda made a serious mistake. Back in "the old days" moderators were entirely volunteers, enlisted exclusively from existing members. These people were familiar not only with the games but also with the community itself.  They could tell when someone was joking and when someone was not joking, because they knew all these people well because they'd been posting with them for years.

The Global Moderators who have been hired over the last two years or so do not appear to know the community very well, at least as far as I can tell. They do not know individual quirks of people's personalities, and how to interpret the way an individual might express his or herself. Forum members are strangers to them.

Bethesda's forums are a lot more impersonal than when I joined back in 2002. I suppose that's to be expected, in a way.  Back then the forums were mainly only about Morrowind and the community was much smaller. The forums have grown from being a "small town" to a "major metropolis".  And along with that the old Pat O'Brian-style neighborhood beat cop who said hello to mothers and children on their front steps and stopped in to say hi to the local butcher has given way to mechanized, Robo Cop-style drones who blindly enforce orders without nuance. 

The forums today are not the forums I joined so many years ago.  Maybe that's progress, I don't know.  I 'm too close to it to trust my own judgement on the matter.  I only know that I have become increasingly disenchanted with the place.  I'm almost at a point where I don't care anymore.  I think I'm actually happier posting here and at Chorrol these days. 

Thats whats nice about this place old Pat has not been put out to grass, he’s still out there following the spirit of the law and not the letter unless really  nessersery.

I don't know how this news went over me head but I found out yesterday about the "forums", which IMO was just a shadow of it's former self. Man, I still miss the old forums like many others do. I also agree with Pseron (Hi btw, it's been a minute! And hi everyone else old and new! :beer:), A lot of moderators I have never seen before were a tad too "by the book bob" as I would call it, for lack of a better term. And them being "hired" makes a lot of sense since I rarely saw anyone from the old mod team of the old forums around anymore rarely, if at all. I hope they are doing well!  As for the forums...well, good riddance, I guess. I still remember the doom and gloom we all had when we switched forums, which wasn't the ones closing now at first but some weird ass, Jive powered, legit-hurt-my-eyes-because-no-dark-mode forum that didn't allow avatars and/or were insanely small you couldn't see the image. What the heck was that all about? :rofl: Luckily that only lasted a short time until we got what is closing now.

I got used to it a little and tried to be active but it just didn't feel the same anymore so I just stayed away from it. Honestly, my only concern is about mods through Bethesda.net. Since only the comments are affected, should the mods themselves be ok? I use a mix of Nexus and bethesda.net mods on Skyrim SE and Fallout 4, most notably the unofficial patches. Should those be ok? 

Anyway, sorry to ramble on but just wanted to get that off my chest. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

A lot of our Global Moderators are new, and, what's more, many of them are not familiar with the community or are even familiar with Bethesda's games. They were hired, I suspect, for their experience moderating other sites, some of which may not even be related to gaming at all.  The moderating staff has changed considerably over the last year or two.  And not for the better, in my opinion. 

Are you sure they're not bots? 'Cos they sound like bots.

"Greetings!

This thread does not - ERROR"

4 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I would ask who that user was, but probably best I didn't know, and of course I know you shouldn't tell so I won't ask.

Your attempt to deflect suspicion fools no one, LeBurns.

:P

Edited by Archmark
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I didn't get banned, but I did get my first warning ever.  But I deserved it I know.  Talking politics is a no-no for good reason.  I would feel sad about losing my perfect record for all the years since the Morrowind days, but the forums dying anyway so no real loss I guess.

I too got my first warning in 19 years of being apart of the Bethesda community for talking politics.  Well I learned my lesson I'll make sure to keep my mouth shut about anything political in the future.  I like this forum and have many friends here so I don't want to get banned for something I could have prevented.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sah said:

"this is a job for Detective Sah!"

now that you mention this I had no idea this ever happened?

and that's OK (I would have gotten a warning or a banning if this was by a moderators hand)

I do accept the theory that Bethesda will not link with any sites that has naught advertisements in the back ground, its got to think about its viewers age rating (think it was +15 not sure) ... if a Global Moderator took it down its OK too, there just doing there job just wish they do it properly ... I'm one post away from life time suspension ... as the Spartans would say "A Glorious Death"

Honestly I did not mention Loverslab as a joke, if I go there its because I'm seeking a desperate answer some question or some fancy sexy armor mod, why judge a web site because of what it looks like instead off the information it has to offer

if some one reported me for this .... so be it ... who am I to question any one?

like I said I'm totally unaware of this until now ... does it matter any more  ... NO

I have ended up at LL many times looking for answers that seemed to be found no where else at all. And those answers are what I was looking for and were indeed helpful. Some very useful utilitarian mods there too that I wouldn't play without that never showed up un the Nexus. Yes it does have "those" kind of mods too but I agree, judge it by the information and not it's looks.

13 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

The forums have grown from being a "small town" to a "major metropolis".  And along with that the old Pat O'Brian-style neighborhood beat cop who said hello to mothers and children on their front steps and stopped in to say hi to the local butcher has given way to mechanized, Robo Cop-style drones who blindly enforce orders without nuance. 

Hey Pseron, Is that the Pat O'Brien from Angels or someone else? He sure goes way back- there's a mention in this 1967 Life issue- (where's that old Google-fu when you want it?)

What a great shame about the forums- so the funding for the bargain basement RC drones has been pulled, and everything else there along with them assigned to the bitbucket. Did it have to end that way?

17 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I just don't get it? ... the fagging part by someone I understand very well, have been a victim of it in the past (especially from some you might know as a member who does not have the decency to let you know they are upset and use the ATOMIC BOMB reaction by flagging someone, you get people band this way right away with no trial or defense, its the most flawed system designed to protect members,  ... a chicken can report crimes in Skyrim (that says a lot)

I wonder what was the actual reason was?  this is what I would like to know and who it was? (don't think the would have the courage to speak up when thy have to, I think its something or a behavior they have to deal with eventual), two members got banned for nothing really important except for expressing there opinion,(dose the ban also apply to discord?) ...

Bethesda has let me get away with murder with my posts & choice of threads in its last days ... 

I can still post on Bethesda and I don't get it, of all people to leave running lose on Bethesda ...

I think there might be one last Reporter Sah thread in the making

• Like 3