Posted (edited)

this will be the story of Uncus the Wood Elf carried over from the soon to disappear Bethesda forums.

20201220153651_1[1361] (2).jpg

I am Uncus, I am  Bosimer. I hale from the province of Valenwood. My purpose in life and service to my people is that of hunter and scout, my duty is to feed and protect my people as best I can. I was raised by my grand parents whilst my mother and father fulfilled the task which is now mine. My grand parents began to train me at a very young age. The father of my mother who was a great healer and shaman almost as soon as I could walk took me with him into the woods and taught me the herbs and plants that  are useful in field craft and basic herbalism.. He also taught me where to find edible grubs and insects which can be a valuable source of protein in the wilds. When I reach the age of seven years the mother of my father began my training as an Archer and scout, at first the training was light carefully building the strength I would latter need to draw the bows my people use. At the same time she also showed me how to move silently on any terrain and climb almost any obstacle. As I aged my strength, skill and agility grew until I rarely missed my target with a bow and could move silently through the forest like a shadow. And all this time my fathers farther taught me all he knew of flint napping and wood craft even a little simple smithing. Then there was the mother of my mother who was secretly my favourite  kept me fed clothed and healthy she taught me the simple things without which a person can not survive. How to cook how to make and mend my cloths, how to cure hides and preserve meat and other foods. Then there was the best thing she taught me, the stories of my people the people of the wolf, how we were led by the White wolf Amakkie  from the land of ice to the woods and parklands we now live in. Also how the twin brothers fought for leader ship of our tribe until "White Elk Woman" cast them both down for nearly destroying the people with their waring. All these things and many more I was taught so that now I can take on the tasks of my parents and they can return to teach the children of our tribe and maybe one day my own children who will grow to take my place and the circle will be round. This is who I am and who I have become, and now I have been chosen for a special task by the council of elders. My people have lived long in this land and become many and the game is less and the farmers ground less productive. We need to find new land where we can start new clans on new lands thus giving all the chance of life. This is why I tomorrow travel to the coast to take ship on a journey to search out these lands we need to expand and survive.

Edited by Uncus
Adding more content. correcting spelling and editing text.

This is a test to see how your site works later the story will be told. Initially I will be trying to bring the thread over from Bethesda net forums, if this proves to be not possible I'll just start again from scratch. Please do not reply to this post I will open a separate thread for comments on this thread. The reason for this is that in this thread the story can be read and followed uninterrupted and comments can be made on the second thread.

The comment thread can be found here      Comments on the Saga of Uncus - General Discussion - AFK Mods

Posted (edited)

for those who might be interested you can see the original thread so you can see what too expect.  The story of Uncus | Community Forums for Bethesda.net

The comments thread is now open for use. this is a screen capture from the original thread on Beth Net, it gives a little more information about how this story was told and the mods used to create it. I run a total of 56 mods at the moment to create this stories screen shot illustrations. If any one is interested I can post a full list, just PM me.

Capture.thumb.PNG.5647c2480034240c09703eda2ccf59c1.PNG

Edited by Uncus
Adding more content.

Chapter the First

Three weeks out on the ocean and the weather had been kind a stiff SS/E wind propelled us along the coast which was veering N/WW, the captain named Cato an Imperial in the employ of the Imperial Mail & Packet service was satisfied with our progress we may even make port a day early if this blow keeps up. The ship was a small but trim schooner of 4 tons, she carried mail and naval despatches along the coast from Anvil round to Solitude. A journey that with favourable winds would take about a month and a half. There were four more crew A gigantic Nord called Aryne almost twice my height but always quick to laugh and we diced in his off watch hours and swapped stories of our home lands. Some times he would sing songs of heroes and monsters of old, one song intrigued me especially, it was called "The Dragonborn cometh". He said it was about a time when Dragons ruled the world and the hero born of dragon blood who saved the world by banishing the ruler of all the dragons Alduin. We also have a story like this except in our stories it is the white wolf that vanquishes the dragon. Aryne's watch mate was Brin a compact but agile Breton, Aryne's great strength was employed at the steering ore whilst Brin tended the sails. The second watch consisted of Aelwyne the second steersman and Hakiem the top man. A jovial pair as most seaman are if you must spend months and sometimes years together on a small ship you had better get on with your shipmates. Aelwyne was Nord also although not quite of the stature of Aryne but still a head taller than me. Hakiem a dusky Redgaurd was even more agile than Brin. Then there were two Khjiit deck hands who assisted turn on turn with the less skilled tasks of sailing the ship. The two Khjiit were hired for the voyage then payed off on its completion, then two other deck hands would be hired for the next trip. the ports had many such men nearly all young. By taking ship with different ships and crews they learnt the trade of able then master seaman and eventually they would gain more permanent employment as full crew members.  The terms and duration of their contract would be negotiated when the signed on. Sometimes on longer journeys these casual hands may be offered a full contract if they show proper skill and aptitude, especially if there have been deaths or injuries to the permanent crew.

I had settled into a  habit of training to keep my skills sharp and my strength strong. Sometimes one of the crew would train with me and we would learn from each other, those that fight with blade or bow are always willing to learn extra skills to keep themselves alive. Hakiem was a competent archer who hit what he loosed at more often than he missed. He used a the recurve layered bow his people favour  both on foot and from a horse or camel. the advantage of these bows was that they could be shorter but still be as powerful as my long war bow. we tried each others bow and both found the others bow strange at first but we both agreed that for draw and accuracy they where comparable. both types had their advantages the main being the the layer bow could have  a higher draw to length ratio for a similar draw weight too my bow, which was around two hundred pounds. Making it ideal for mounted use where as my bow would be far to long for this purpose.  My bow on the other hand was quicker to make and used less resources, although the skill involved to make it was comparable. I had once tried the enormous two handed axe Aryne used with ease, I could lift it and even make a wild swing with it but there was no control and I fell over much to Arnya's amusement. He extended a ham of a hand and helped me up. When he had finally gained control of himself and had stopped laughing, well almost stopped. He explained that yes great strength helped but control came from subtle shifts in balance and direction which were much more about skill and intelligence.

An other two weeks have passed, Cato thinks at best it will take a week to a week and a half to reach  our destination the Solitude Imperial Navy Dock yard. After disembarking I must first report to the the imperial legate who will supply maps of the area's that have been agreed as possible settlements for new clans to be established. then I must pay my respects to the high kings representatives for forms sake. I shall be glad to get those duties over as soon as possible, politicians and government officials are not my preferred companions.  Then I can get to the important part of my mission, the search for sites where settlement can be placed. Our needs are simple, a river valley to place our permanent settlements and farms open wooded highlands for foraging alchemical and medicinal plants, and nuts and berries along with other edible fruits of the forest. then of course our mobile hunting camps. If there are mineral deposits that would be convenient but not necessary as there are other sources near by to trade for any metal we might need in the future. My people do not use as much metal as other races we consider it un necessary. We are expert makers of fine, stone, bone and wood tools. The materials needed are readily available and often easier to gather. We do how ever prize metal weapons, most able bodied members of our tribes and clans own steel seaxe's and tomahawks along side their wooden war bows, the only exception to steel weapons are our arrows they are fitted with stone heads chipped and polished to the equal of anything made by the other races.

I awoke one morning a few days after the incident with Aryne's Axe to the movement of the ship it had subtly changed and so awakened me. I swung out of my hammock and stood on the deck stretching my muscles in preparation for my morning exercises. Looking around I saw Hakiem and Aelwyne asleep in their hammocks having just come off watch. One of the Khjiit was preparing the breakfast the other being not present probably had duties on deck. I never learned the names of the Khjiit they kept to them selves when not on duty. to be honest I think they were a little wary of me our two peoples are not always on the best of terms. When I had come out onto the deck I noticed by the position of the sun that we were on a more westerly course away from the coast.  Walking aft I greeted Cato and wished him the luck of the day. He replied in kind then informed me that they where moving away from the coast to avoid some rocks and reefs. I asked him about the change in the ships movements, he said that the swells had become some what more choppy and that it could be a sign that the strength of the wind might increase. Which was another good reason to gain some sea way from a lee shore. He also pointed out towards the south that there were small clouds scudding in advance of the wind. There seemed little to be worried about unless the weather to the south soured. I went to the midships aft of the mast and began my exercises stretching and moving through the figures designed to teach my body to move in certain ways during combat so I would do it automatically without thought, leaving my mind free to study my opponents movements and trying to counter them before he made them. It is a tedious but nessercery routine all warriors go through in some form or other. Later in the afternoon I would practice with my bow at the time the crew took their midday meal to limit the chance of miss haps.

As I was unstring my bow to preserve its strength Cato Came out of his private cebine under the steering deck, he had an uncomfortable look on his face. He climbed the steps up to the steering deck and stood staring aft towards the south. then he exchanged a few words with Aryne, then ordered Brin to shorten sail and trim to the wind. Brin sent one of the two Khjiit aloft to reef the sail slightly whilst he set the braces turning the sail more to the wind thus putting less strain on both the sail and the mast. The wind had been freshening since this morning and the clouds to the south where building though not looking too dangerous to my eyes. I did have the impression that Cato was having some concerns but he was not communicating them to me or the crew yet. the swells were now not so choppy but were getting higher. After the meal the watch was changed Aryne exchanged his station with Aelwyne after informing him about the course we were following then went down to his meal and some rest along with Brin who gave the sailing instruction to Hakiem. The two Khjiit stayed on deck strengthen the rigging with some extra braces on the sails and mast stays. it seemed that Cato was preparing the ship in the event that the weather got heavier. I was hoping that these were only precoitional measures, I had got used to the motions of the sea and was now no longer sea sick but was not relishing the thought of having to weather a storm. I decided to ask Cato if there was any reason to be concerned, he informed me that it was to early to be sure but it was prudent to take precautions for safeties sake. The weather could at this moment go either way. sometimes these things blew themselves out after a time but if the wind got stronger further measures may be nessercery. So I went and sat against the mast and busied myself with carving an amulet of Amakkie from a piece of ivory I had bought with me. As the afternoon wore on the wind stayed as it was but the clouds to the south had begun to pile even higher and looked to be closer than this morning. They also appeared darker with a faint glow on their under side, which may or may not of been lightening. Cato ordered all loose equipment to be secured and had life lines rigged for naar aft along the length of the ship. Things were beginning to look serious now so I went to my place in the focsle and packed and secured my belongings. Cato now informed me that even if a storm came we had a good chance of weathering it as we had plenty of sea room from the shore, the only danger could come if we chanced upon an unseen and unknown reef or island. As evening came closer both watches were set to changing to a smaller sail and rigging but not yet deploying a sea anchor. the purpose of the sea anchor would be to help keep the wind on our aft quarter to guard against turning broadside to the wind and thus being swamped. A few hours later the wind was now howling through the rigging and we were traveling at a much faster speed than we had made before on this voyage. We now soon started to hear thunder booming behind us an could now see lightening dancing across the sea in front of the storm front. Cato ordered the sea anchor to be deployed and the sail taken in another two reefs. It was becoming now obvious that the storm would catch us, both Aryne and Aelwyne were at the steer board doing their best to keep us running before the storm the other four crew members tended the sail making small adjustments to best use the wind to help keep us on the right course. Cato stood on the steering deck offering encouragement and giving orders when needed. for a time it looked like we would be able to ride out the storm but the wind began to veer more to seaward with the danger that we would encounter some unknown obstacle so far from shore the area was less well known. Following the direction the wind dictated we manged to keep the ship on a relatively even keel. then Cato's face became ashen directly ahead a large area of the sky was dark showing no stars some obstacle was blocking our view. this could mean only one thing a large island was dead ahead of us. Cato ordered the sail rest an altered our course slightly to the lee of the island in an attempt to avoid disaster. we could not turn too far into the wind or we would be swamped. we tried to head for the stars on the windward side hoping to miss the island but soon we heard the sound of waves violently breaking on a shore or some rock out crop. We were moving at an alarming rate and it would be touch and go if we made it but we did seem to be heading more towards the stars showing next to the island. Then disaster struck just as it seemed we would be saved, we were bearing down onto a low string of skerries with rocks in between. Cato ordered the sea anchor cut loose and the helm hard over in an attempt to ground the ship onto a small strand before we struck the rocks. But luck was not on our side a large and malevolent wave bore us up and then threw us down on the rocks. the ship broke in two and we tumbled across the deck into the sea, I felt my self sinking to the depths, I kicked off my moccasin boots and struck out to what I hoped was the surface. then something grabbed my hair and Aryne pulled me out of the water onto one of the skerries, I had never been so glad in all my life that I wore my hair long. It was then I saw that Aryne's other arm was broken the bone sticking out of his upper arm and was bleeding profusely I still had a woven leather belt which I tied above the wound in attempt to staunch the bleeding. He looked to be in much pain but like all Nords he made light of it. We wedged ourselves between the rocks in an effort to protect us from as much of the storm as possible. Arlyne that great friend he had become bled to death in the night slipping quietly away gripping his knife in his hand. Then finally I succumbed to the exhaustion and slipped into sleep.

And so ends the  first Chapter of the

Saga of Uncus

Chapter the Second

I had spent the night clinging to the rocks on the skerry next to the shifting wreck of our ship. After a time the rain stopped and the wind dropped to a stiff breeze and with the dawn the heavy dark clouds dispersed. The sea was also returning to a more natural swell, the immense waves of last night were thankfully a thing of the past. I laid my friend Aryne in a more comfortable position, although he was dead I could not accept the grotesque heap the storm had made of him. I knelt next to him and said to him "I am sorry that your voyage has ended but hoped that your soul is well on the way to Sovngarde. your fight is lost but you fought valiantly to the end. I will remember you and tell of your deeds and how you saved me from the sea to those I talk to around the campfires of my tribe. So keeping your memory alive as my friend". I then asked if he would allow me the use of the knife he still clutched in his hand for brother you will need it no more in this world and it will help to keep me alive. I then carefully took the knife from his dead grasp and tucked it in the empty sheath on my belt. Sadly I stood up and inspected my own battered and bruised body, apart from being sore and stiff in every bone in my body the damage proved to be superficial. looking around I found a number of barrels that had been washed out of the ships hold, in them I found some apples that were still edible and some flour that had been spoiled by the sea.

20210527042111_1.jpg

As I looked at the ship with her broken back I saw Cato lying in the water next to his ship as if he did not wish to leave her, wading towards him I could see that he also had not survived the night I dragged him onto the skerry and laid him next to Aryne. Diving into the sea and swimming into the wreck turned out to be a waste of time as the cargo in the hold had been lost to the sea when the ship was ripped in two by the storm. One at a time I carried my two dead comrades to the shore and buried them under a stone cairn in the hopes that they would not be eaten by scavengers

20210527041735_1.jpg

Having fulfilled my obligations to my friends I took stock of my possessions which did not amount to much, two knives, the other I had found on Cato's body, a water skin, a pair of ragged breeks and a pair of boots also taken from Cato. On the rocky beach across from the skerry where I had buried my companions was a small cave and looking up the cliff was a tower that seemed to be of Dwenmer construction. Perhaps I would find some one there to tell me where I was and how to get in touch with the nearest Imperial official so that I could report the wreck of their packet ship, and inform them where I had buried the bodies of the crew members I had found. Of the other five crew members there had been no sign. Also I would need assistance in proceeding with my mission and gaining passage to Solitude.

20210527042024_1.thumb.jpg.9416768d489054722dd466408177f1cf.jpg

I now had to decide would I scale the cliff or would I see if the cave led any where, I elected to explore the cave first as that seemed the easiest option. Entering the cave the first thing I saw were some iron ore deposits and on the floor of the cave I picked up a fist size piece of flint I put it in the belt pouch that had also been on Cato's body. Growing in the cave there were several types of mushroom I collected these and also put them in the pouch. there was a hole in the ceiling that let in light allowing me to see ahead a skeever watching me approach. I took out Aryne's knife and waved it at the creature and he skittered away into the shadows, skeevers usually flee unless cornered then they can be quite viscous in their own defence.

• 2 weeks later...

After satisfying myself that the skeever would not bother me further I continued. There seemed to be a faint glow of light ahead of me so I walked towards it and turning a bend in the tunnel I came to an upwards slope with an exit from the tunnel that led from the beach. Once outside in the daylight I looked over a small sheltered bay with a large rocky islet protecting the bay from the worst of the sea's  power.  Left and right of the islet were two channels giving access to the bay which compared with the sea outside was as flat and smooth as a duck pond. Despite this there was the mast of a sunken ship out in the middle of the bay. On the shore side of the bay was a quay with three jetties jutting out into the bay with a small building built in the same Dwenmer style as the watch tower I had already seen from the beach outside the bay, also on top of the rocky islet was yet another building of the same design that appeared to be a light house. I could also see a large ruin the looked as if it was a great gate way or entrance to the interior of the islands central mountain. At some point in the past there must have been a rock slide that had engulfed the gate way. An old stone paved  road led to my right up a slope and into a wooded hillside, on a flat rock shelf just before the road entered the woods stood a very large statue of a robed figure looking for all the world like a brooding sentinel. to my left the road followed the bay to a viaduct that connected to the islet and some stone steps that climbed up to the light house. Running in front of me and behind the dock was another road that disappeared behind a curve in the land scape. Although the buildings were in serviceable condition there was no sign that any living inhabitants had been here in a very long time.

20201226213635_1.thumb.jpg.501daf17322cc929c585f98b28b0b8e0.jpg  20210609052227_1.thumb.jpg.8c21a8db48841ad3f78be06a47cc8207.jpg

Judging the small building on the dockside the most likely to offer a refuge should ( as I suspected ) there prove to be no other inhabitants on this island. It was a short walk down to the dock. For the most part the building, dock and jetties were in a good state of repair, I inspected the out side first the roof and walls seemed sound and weather proof. As a bonus I managed to catch a brace of crabs in a rock pool next to my new shelter, that took care of my next meal. I would soon need to find a source of fresh water, this problem was solved in a rather novel fashion. It appeared the water, at least in the bay was fresh enough to drink. my only explanation for this I could think of was that there was some vast subterranean source under the mountain with springs in the bay that kept the water there fresh and clean. Looking inside the dwelling showed on large room with a hearth opposite the door way. the furniture consisted of one table two barrels an some broken crates. Some old books and dirty rags where scattered around the room, I gathered them up and stacked them next to the hearth if nothing else they would make good tinder to start a fire with. At the end of one of the jetties was some random clutter which included a metal bowl which would do to boil my crab dinner in. I had been able to make a serviceable flint axe using two good size rocks I had found on the beach and a strong branch that had been washed up after the storm. I had first determined which rock would become hammer stone and which would be crafted into an axe blade. The first blow is always the most important if that fails to give the right result another blank needs to be found for another try. After carefully examining the stone to be worked I gave a firm but not too hard blow with the hammer across a fault line a thin shard of flint was struck away, the same on the opposite face produced a similar result. I now had the basic shape, With care and precision the final shape was crafted, then the branch was split at one end and axe blade wedged in the split then using some of the rags I had found the split end of the branch was bound up and secured the whole together. once that task was complete the flakes struck of the flint core where gathered up as they would be useful for other tasks later.

As there was plenty of day light left I set off to see if anything of value could be found at the watch tower or the light house. Climbing the steps to the light house revealed a magnificent view to the north along the coast. At the watch tower the trip was a little more profitable. I found some fire wood already chopped a pick axe and a bed roll. Walking back to the harbour I reflected that the things I had found so far where for the most part relatively in good repair and the wood looked as if it had not been cut very long ago. This suggested that although the island appeared to have been uninhabited for quite some time, from time to time the island was visited by accident or design. This was an interesting thought, was there any one else still on the island and would they be friendly. secondly had they left anything behind that would be of use to me. This was a situation which needed to be explored with caution, until I knew more I would need to be carful not to advertise my presence before I knew more. I gathered the driest wood I could find so that my fire would be as inconspicuous as possible with little smoke and as soon as my crab supper was cooked the fire was extinguished. As the sun set over the island I rolled up in my bed roll and prepared for my first nights sleep in my new, and I hoped, home.

I awoke the next morning as the sun rose from behind the rocky islet opposite the harbour. Today I would need to arrange more permanent measures to ensure my survival. Top of my list was to explore inland to see if there where any game animals and useful edible plants and herbs. I would need to find a strait growth sapling of about 3 to five years of growth to make a bow which would much improve my chances of a successful hunt. Arrows might be more of a challenge to manufacture they would need to be strait and strong enough to survive the shock of impact on their targets. I followed the paved road into the woods behind the bay. As I neared the large statue that stood next to the road I turned off the road to investigate the strange figure. As I approached I saw an inscription on the base of the statue It mentioned the god under the mountain, this meant nothing to me was it some un-known Dwenmer cult based on this island before the great disappearance.

20210617233937_1.thumb.jpg.758bf0668a85ea5ce9b5c70c4a95d342.jpg

Also I found a satchel with a note in side, it mentioned that an archaeological expedition had come to the island to investigate the Dwenmer ruins. Could this be the cause of the resent traces of  activity I had noticed since being marooned here. where they still here or were they long gone, there was no way to know they might still be here or have left before the storm. I determined to investigate the sunken ship in the harbour at my earliest opportunity. in the mean time I continued to explore the woods for more resources for my survival. As I followed the road I noticed another building on the slope above the road, on inspection it proved to have been the victim of a rock slide. Perhaps from the same event as the slide that blocked the main entrance behind the harbour. Yet again I found evidence of recent activity, outside the building I found a chopping block and a steel woodsman's axe. the axe looked almost new so could not have been here for Too long. The building its self was of no use the roof had partially caved in and contained little of value.  hefting the axe on my shoulder I returned to the road and followed it further It no began to be less apparent the stones being less frequent but the path was still visible and easy to follow. I heard the howl of a wolf calling to its pack mates and soon it was answered. I stopped and pulled back into cover, soon in a clearing the pack returned the call and a lone wolf trotted into the clearing to reunite with its tribe. I was sure they knew I was watching them but they seemed content to leave me alone as long as I did not interfere with them. I hoped that I could maintain this truce there appeared to be enough prey for us both. I was anxious to maintain this situation as the wolf is the totem animal of my people and there is a taboo on the killing of these noble beasts. Although it is permitted to kill a wolf in self defence, those that have resort to this action are deemed to have failed to control the situation properly. I made a wide detour around the clearing where the pack had gathered and they seemed content to ignore me for the time being.  On the back slope of the valley I had entered I found a young yew tree of the right age and form so I felled it with my new axe then removed the branches so I could transport it more easily to my base camp.