Open Sourcing CK

DayDreamer

No matter how many Bug reports we file, nothing ever seems to get fixed. Lately, some folks are reverse engineering and making patches. But it would be better to get Bethesda/Zenimax/Microsoft to open source the program, as they are egregiously not supporting it. Github is now owned by Microsoft, so that would be appropriate to host.

Back in the day, id software open sourced its old technology. Although that was before acquisition by Zenimax.

Do we have any contacts within Bethesda/Microsoft?

The only issue might be any contracts Zenimax signed off on the use of 3rd party commercial libraries. If they just released the C++ code, it would be still a fair job to marshal in all the required functions from open source to fit.

Spoiler

A long held wish was to release a "joke" CK overlay based on something like this:

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 5:48 AM, lmstearn said:

The only issue might be any contracts Zenimax signed off on the use of 3rd party commercial libraries.

Plus CK is only available with Steam flagging you as actually having bought the game, so this might be another reason not to open source it.

There are several cracked versions of the various creation kits which do not require a steam copy of the game.  These were created to allow modding to be available to people with various cracked versions of the game(s).

There is also a reverse engineered, open source (C++) version of the Skyrim CK on github (https://github.com/Open-CK/OpenCK).  I am assuming (yeah, I know) that the CK/GECK for Fallout 4 and other BSG games are available.

So, I if someone is truly driven to violate intellectual property law, they can stand of the shoulders of those who have already done so. 

• Sigurð Stormhand locked this topic