We need to talk about cleaning the DLCs

gears86

So while all this time every time I do an update, and I've been doing this since Oldrim. And while I never had issues in Oldrim in cleaning the masters, I have so in SSE. The Dragonborn DLC specifically. I ask, should we really clean this one? I was in the Apocrapha dungeon and I noticed something odd right at the beginning, something looked to be missing but I was like "eh whatever, I'll ignore this". Now, I go through the dungeon like normal until I make it to the word wall in chapter 6, the area after the book puzzle and I notice that the floor and everything else is missing as soon as you walk through the door on the way to the word wall.

I went back to restore the uncleaned versions of the master files for Update, Dawnguard, Hearthfires and Dragonborn, I go back into the area and I see everything is all normal now. This was all done on Skyrim SE Version 1.5.97 which is the latest version.

So I ask, is cleaning them really worth it?

Ok so here is an update. If you happen to clean the master files the old way by using older versions of SSEEdit such as like a 2017 or 2018 version by apply filter for cleaning > remove identical to master records > undelete and disable references, then you are ok. This issue only appears to happen if using later versions of SSEEedit such as a 2019 version and after. I think the guides on cleaning need to be notified here.

Does it also fix issues with removing navmesh edits made by the DLCs? While I know the DLCs do have total duplicates of navmeshes in the DLCs and those ones are supposed to be removed, the officially released version of 4.0.3 was also removing navmesh records from the DLCs that actually are edits as seen in yellow of navmeshes from Skyrim.esm and they are not the deleted ones either.

Personally I'd suggest just not cleaning the DLCs at this point. Doing so is now carrying too large a risk of something going wrong and needing hacky workarounds to fix it in xEdit.

As far as navmeshes, it should be fine, but there's always a possibility that the removal won't quite do what's wanted since xEdit cannot rebuild the NAVI record and the CK won't be able to deal with the DLC files as they've been shipped to us to correct that record properly.

I decided to just go back to the ways of cleaning with older versions of SSEEdit by applying the filter for cleaning and only getting rid of ITMs and deleted records, as this new auto cleaning tends to have more side effects as it does more than just ITMs and deleted records.

Like what we all used to do during the Oldrim days before SSEEdit 4 came out. Decided to use SSEEdit 3 instead.

That's not really a good idea though. While the current 4.x versions may not be entirely reliable for the official DLCs, they DO have updated and corrected record definitions those older versions don't have. You'll want the 4.x ones when you go to clean regular mods so that you don't risk having bad data written back. For regular mods made by mod authors, xEdit is perfectly safe.

QAC only removes ITMs and UDRs regardless so that's not the issue you're trying to address.