Asking Carlotta what she has for sale CTD [Solved]

Elaura

I've had this problem with other merchants in the past with other mod loadouts. At a guess, there is something in her items for sale that is causing the problem. Can anyone point me in a possible direction to troubleshoot? It's really not worth anyone's time to go the whole "post your load order" thing. I can just avoid that dialog option.She doesn't have anything unique. Just irks me I don't even know where to start.

A good start is to try the same thing without using any mods, so in your case you need to start a new game and play to the point there you got a CTD in vanilla.

That's the only way to find out of why your game get a CTD when talking to Charlotta.

Also, posting your loadorder could narrow down to what mod(s) is causing your issue.

Thanks,  Leo, but figured out a quicker way. Found it on an old reddit post. I save right before talking to her. Then I make sure I'm gonna CTD. Then I reload and check her inventory with openactorcontainer and/or showinventory.

Then I can wait 48 hours and see if I crash again. Then, by process of elimination, I can figure out what it is in her inventory causing the problem.

It's such a pita troubleshooting by eliminating mods. Too many interconnected patches.

I think you need to wait for 72 hours, not 48 hours.  Remember how it is in Morrowind.

Oh, OK. I thought merchant inventories reset in 48 hours. Maybe that's a mod?

Thanks again. I'll be sure to wait the full 72 hours.

To get the best result load every mod that touches books and compare them in SSEEdit.

Look for books that teach spells - but the record has a NULL in place where it should be the spell record. That will crash the game when viewing it in containers.

I reported this to xEdit a while back. They added a check in the Error check routine in recent version.

So... load up any suspect mods (or entire load order) in xEdit and select the mods then right click and Check for Errors. It should find it.

edit: also report it to mod author if you do find the culprit

Edited by Jebbalon
add line

Brilliant find! It *was* a bad record on a couple of skill books. Caused by a patch I made. I'm still not sure how it was only a couple of books and not all, but it was probably your suggestion that helped me find the errors!

• Elaura changed the title to Asking Carlotta what she has for sale CTD [Solved]
On 7/21/2020 at 6:19 AM, Leonardo said:

To get the best result load every mod that touches books and compare them in SSEEdit.

Fortunately, because it was a patch I made, it was one of the first mods I checked. Thanks for all your help!