OpenMW and Patreon is now, sadly, true.

Leonardo

Today, OpenMW (official username) posted an update for OpenMW on GHF and this is the first time I heard that some people in the OpenMW project have decided to use Patreon.

One more thing: one of our major contributors, Capostrophic, has recently started a Patreon. AnyOldName3, our resident Master of Shadows, and psi29a, OpenMW’s new project lead, are also on Patreon. So consider supporting them if you want to help OpenMW grow. Other contributors accept donations as well: you can find links to their Patreon pages in our FAQ. Don’t forget to support the software that helps make this all possible: OpenSceneGraph, OpenAL-Soft and SDL2 to name a few.

After I read this I started to be less interested in OpenMW and right now I don't know for sure if I ever will try OpenMW in the future.  Probably never.

My reason for that is about what I said here.

At least they're a legit group of people and not a bunch of hosers like the Skyrim Together guys. The donations are not required to gain access to anything and I see no problem with this vs any other modders' Patreon who doesn't paywall their mods behind it.

I was hoping not to see a modder(s) in the Morrowind modding community to actually *abandon* the fundamental principal about what modding is and that is a hobby.

Anyway, I am afraid the Patreon, PayPal thing is a trend we need to face and deal with in the future.

There's no law saying that a hobby can't also make you money. Being able to get paid to mod isn't evil or whatever you seem to think it is. So no, it's not a problem we need to address in the future unless you mean to remove the restrictions Bethesda places on commercial activity surrounding mods. IMO they need to reinstate some kind of paid system like we had in 2015 on Steam.

What the OpenMW guys are doing is a huge time sink and maybe they think that being able to get a bit of side cash out of it will motivate things to continue in a world where time is more valuable to people than ever. So I can't find any reason to fault them for what they're doing.

54 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

IMO they need to reinstate some kind of paid system like we had in 2015 on Steam.

So they created the Creation Club on Bethesda.net.  Which is another reason why I don't visit Bethesda.net much aside from the NodeBB crap.

Anyway, it seems you and I have different opinions about what modding is.

Creation Club is certainly better than no paid system at all, but it favors the publisher far more than it does the mod author unless you count professional dev experience as part of the package.

I think we have opinions that match up more than you realize, I just don't think something being a hobby means you're not allowed to make money doing it.

4 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I just don't think something being a hobby means you're not allowed to make money doing it.

That's one thing we have a different opinion about.

Although, I think people in general will consider that as a matter of personal principal.  You have yours and I have mine, simple as that.

10 hours ago, lmstearn said:

All things begin as hobbies. We have

Hobby => Passion => Enterprise => Institution

The last happens to be the terminal phase. :P

I wish the last two phases never happen, but that's true and part of life I suppose.

If the last two never happened, society would have collapsed centuries ago. We certainly would not have had any of the modern conveniences we have today if the people whose hobbies brought them to the point of being products we buy were never allowed to sell them in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Old thread, but I agree that modders should be allowed to accept donations for their work. There's a difference between a mod user giving a mod author some money for their work and the author charging said user for the ability to use a mod. Donating via Patreon and buying via the CC are two very different things. I won't pay for a mod that I can get a free version somewhere else, but I've donated to various modders because I enjoyed their work and I know how much time and effort goes into them.

• Like 1