Night sky constellation meshes

ConstellationsAreCool

I don't know that much about modelling so please bear with my bad terminology.

There is a bug in the data/meshes/sky/stars.nif file. Specifically the constellations mesh vertices placement and/or UV mapping is wrong. I've exported the texture template from nifskope of the constellations node which uses the skyrimconstellations01.dds texture file and overlayed them and then added the lines between the stars that make up the constellations to make it easier to see the problem.

https://imgur.com/a/F0TJI3e

As you can see the shadow constellation (bottom center) has one star which is visible in the mage constellation (bottom left) and one star which is visible in the lord constellation (bottom right). Which leads to the problem you see in the screenshot where part of the shadow constellation is within the mage constellation and gets cut off. The shadow constellation is missing a star in the game and the mage and lord constellation have an extra star that don't belong.

Other things I have noticed:

• The UV mapping in general has a lot of overlap. I don't have a clue about modelling so I can't say whether this is generally an issue or if it's completely fine and just so happens to be an issue on this occasion.
  • Both the skyrimconstellations01.dds and skyrimconstellations02.dds files have a few stars that don't belong to the constellation when comparing them with the Morrowind, Oblivion and ESO equivalents seen on the UESP page.

I hope this bug is within the scope of this project, because I really don't know how to fix it myself. :innocent:

I'm sorry for not using the bug tracker btw. I tried to post it there, but even after I reset my password it just refuses to log in there.