New Account Validation

Arthmoor

We've had a recent influx of bot generated signups in the last couple of weeks which are engaging in nefarious activities. As a result of this all account registrations on the forum are requiring administrator validation.

If you are registering a new account and don't want to be assumed to be among these bots, please post something here in this thread so that we can have some idea of whether you're registering legitimately or not. No accounts will be validated without such a post until such time as a more useful solution to this problem can be found.

Heh, well that was quick. After instituting these measures, it came to light that the remainder of the recent influx of traffic is coming from Oblivion users attempting to download the Elsweyr Anequina mod as part of a guide.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but please udnerstand that bandwidth can get very expensive and this all happened in the middle of trying to nail down an even larger incursion by Chinese bots run by the Huawei corporation that were for unknown reasons downloading multiple gigabytes worth of files for no apparent reason.

Also, my bad, I was not aware that the IPB software was not going to allow posting in this thread despite setting the permissions up to allow that. A paradoxical situation where it was insisting you be validated first.

Is AFK Mods too popular? :whistle:

An admin's nightmare when trying to do something useful. :P

What you need to use is a tool that's restricting bots, usually Asian bots, from visiting AFK Mods.  I remember, Xae used a tool to prevent a bunch of Asian bots from visting DC and before he did that DC was so slow.

Nah, it's not a popularity issue. We've got a steady amount of normal traffic. This was just a case of bad timing for the folks who set up the mod guide that's bringing people here. The ones you should be worried about are the Chinese bots - which I've dealt with for now.

• Arthmoor unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

This was just a case of bad timing for the folks who set up the mod guide that's bringing people here.

That could be the beginning of becoming popular.

Corean bots is equal to the Chinese bots.

11 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Is AFK Mods too popular? :whistle:

An admin's nightmare when trying to do something useful. :P

Tbh, I always come here to download anything Arthmoor-related or UP-related instead of going to other hosting sites. Getting the stuff directly from the source isn't something strange even if Nexus exists. The same goes for any mod related file on other sites (Darkmatters, Assimilation Lab, PiratesAhoy, etc).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow that signup made my head hurt. Don't understand as I know I used to have an account here before. Finally made it in tho.  Hi Arth,  just to say thank you for making some of the most useful and lore friendly mods available.

• 3 years later...

Hi i have an editor marker who isnt removed on xbox i need to be validated to post something in the bug tracker section and thanks