Cheap or Free Games

Arthmoor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who may care, GoG also has Fallout 3 on sale for six bucks. 

image.thumb.png.67c21265a0f914e9295c204679d73fcf.png

It's all part of their QuakeCon sale event. The sale covers most titles Bethesda Softworks publishes, including Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Prey, Dishonored, and several others.

I just wish they'd throw SSE and Fallout 4 up on GoG as well :P

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a recommendation that I still have installed and play occasionally.

Anyone like old Break Out clones like Arkanoid ?

Well the best (imho) version of this genre for PC is a game called Ricochet Infinity.

Reflexive the original developers are no longer, and also their servers / forums are all dead .. But more on this in a minute.

First you can buy Ricochet Infinity from BigFishGames - https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/2138/ricochet-infinity/

Its cheap, but very addictive. Personally I bought it with Paypal last time I wanted a copy, but watch out ..

After you have purchased it and installed it, log into your paypal account and make sure they haven't set you up for repeat payments via whatever scripting they use through your browser. Paypal will honour whatever you cancel anyway so its no big worry, but this is a one-off payment for this game, so why sometimes people get hooked into a repeat payment with bigfishgames via Paypal I dont know. Just check it out in your Paypal settings to be sure.

BigFishGames installs their own app to launch the game from, which also downloads and installs the game. So after installation, and successfully launching the game for the first time (to get the registered file installed) .. Then find where BigFishGames has installed the Ricochet Infinity folder (inside it you will have the RicochetInfinity.exe). Copy the whole Ricochet Infinity folder somewhere else.

Now uninstall BigFishGames app using windows uninstaller. Your choice but I dont like the way it works, and its not necessary once the game is installed. It feels a bit too much like it was designed by an advertiser so personally I dont trust it.

Wherever you copied the Ricochet Infinity folder to, go into it and right click / send to desktop the RicochetInfinity.exe

Now you can launch the game from this icon, use its options to change whether its full screen or not when it launches.

To keep it for machine upgrades, just zip up the Ricochet Infinity folder to another drive.

---------------

I would also recommend going to this site https://www.ricochetuniverse.com/levels/index.php?orderBy=downloads&orderDir=DESC&page=1

Look for packs with the Infinity symbol next to them for compatability.

A really good one is "Ricochet Extreme Homage" set of additional levels for Infinity, you download a file called Ricochet Xtreme Homage.RicochetI and drop that file inside the rounds folder which is in the Ricochet Infinity folder ..

Ricochet Infinity \ Rounds \ Ricochet Xtreme Homage.RicochetI

.. Once that file is in the correct place, choose the "Other Galactic Adventures" option, then cancel the internet connections (Reflexive no longer provide servers, so you may aswell untick the checkbox for internet connectivity), and then choose the Ricochet XTreme Homage, and click Play to play those levels.

YGqF9vt.png

---------------

The game is just so slick, and has a neat little addition called Recall, as a ball goes up the screen if you press the right mouse button the ball then arcs towards the paddle again (a bit like a gravitational pull to steer the ball from its usual expected path), a lot of levels use this idea.

So many different ball types and paddle modification drops .. The game has been really well designed and keeps you hooked.

Shame that Reflexive are no longer around or their community support, but there is a discord for the game ..

https://discord.com/invite/fKK42Wt

.. it has a lot of fans, and some dedicated people making new levels.

I think I have been playing this off and on for about 15 years, and its still damned addictive.

There are 5 gold rings to collect on every level, which can be a little awkward.

Update to my last post here :

Want a DRM free version of the game without needing to install BigFishGames advertisement app? ..

Go to the Discord link

Go to the #General-ricochet-chat

Click Pinned Messages

Scroll down and find one by Gameinsky, with a link to mega ;)

Unzip the folder, double click the RicochetInfinity.exe to play.

If you dont want all the progress and want to play from the beginning, delete the stats.dat file

• 2 months later...

Anybody using MS Edge and/or MS products like MS Solitaire games are familiar with the Raid: Shadow Legends ad:

This Game is So Beautiful It's Worth Installing Just to See... 1+ million builds and over 300 champions ...

Accorded considerable real estate in the rpg marketplace, Raid:SL is yet another one to slot in the category of gacha games, where weaponry/armoury/bling may end up exacting a toll on personal finances, to the point of copping a fair amount of user criticism. Not that Aristocrat are strangers to such feedback, as over here (back in the day of course), irate clients regularly removed their non-co-operative mechanical one armed bandits from the pokie/slot parlours to deposit them on the footpath outside!

A plus is the browser demo is actually quite amazing, even on this ancient rig, and the game is still receiving updates. Although there are plenty of fan sites like this one on female npcs, many are not so complimentary, e.g., take a look at Crappy games Wiki, (you know, it might be the first ever Wiki that has user comments following the article, and bugger all in the discussion tab).

Spoiler

And yes, the only way to view their categories is to browse the list, where- oh oops, there's one on Bethesda Softworks, where, in the spirit of the general theme, the reviews (and comments) come across as somewhat crappy as well. They also uncover an old chestnut just waiting to pop in on top of the Bethesda improve pile: Where's Waldo, else, Beth would have thrown caution to the wind and released it to the Internet Archive already, no?.

• 1 month later...

I looked a few years back to find old games that I was fairly sure were abandoned. But as it turns out, there were a lot fewer than I thought and they were several decades old. Lot of pretty decent free games out there though with no strings attached (Patreon support and the like), but you gotta dig for em. Usually someone just learning how to do things with Unity or Unreal and looking to get a following.

For anyone who might be interested, Fallout 3 GOTY is currently free on the Epic Games Store.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A cheapish, but interesting "game" is now featuring on Steam: Turing Complete. "Cheap", in the sense that on successful completion, you'll end up with the awesome skill of designing your own assembly language.

Spoiler

However, if the game was actually Turing Complete, there's no way of knowing you'll ever achieve that outcome.

Damn. :P

• 1 month later...

Between now and 9am tomorrow (don't know what timezone) Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics are free on the Epic Games Store.

To be honest, I'd tried Fallout (original) once upon a time, didn't like it, never tried any others. More of a fantasy role player myself.

But a brother recommended Witcher 3 to me, and 1, 2 & 3 are 80% to 95% off at Steam 2022 Winter Sale (extra 10% as a bundle). I liked the books, and I really liked the Netflix series, so I'm trying Witcher 3 today.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm a new member. This article is great because after reading it I just found out that GOG has interesting trade events like these. But I'm a bit confused about the fact that it's free with game mods or certain games. I still don't quite understand this issue.

Edited by DennyKirby

• 1 month later...

GOG has Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 on sale. If you don't have the AE Upgrade yet it's actually cheaper to buy SSE + AE Upgrade on GOG right now than just the upgrade on Steam.

Fallout 4 is on sale for dirt cheap over the next 48hrs on Steam. $10 for the full GOTY. Get it while it's hot.

• 1 month later...