Cheap or Free Games

Arthmoor

i managed 512, my girlfried had the perseverence for 2048 (that's for the mobile app though, but i guess it doesn't matter). none of us ever got into flappy birds though. i guess that's a good sign. :D

For those of you, like me, who have The Witcher 3 and have preordered the upcoming DLCs (due out in October), GoG.com is giving away codes to redeem free copies of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2. You can give them to friends if you don't need them yourself. I suspect a lot of us will be sitting on more codes we can't give away because everyone has the games already :troll:

Link for the lazy. (It oddly doesn't show the W1&2 deal there, but it does on the main page)

It's funny, I got Witcher 3 from buying an Nvidia card, and now I'm going to pay $25 to preorder an expansion pass just to support CDPR for making an amazing game, but they're forcing two games on me I already own.  :P   So, it's like I'm trying to give them money but they're like "Here's more free stuff, how are you enjoying the free game?".

I was actually kind of pissed when I found out the Nvidia bundle thing was through GOG and not Steam, as I have the other Witcher games there and I'm really anal about having all my games in one place and organized.   I also didn't have a GOG account and thought "It's just one more account for this one game.  Like Origin." ...  Then after I'd been playing Witcher 3 for a while I found out that GOG was actually owned by CD Projekt and then it all made perfect sense, and now I'm quite pleased in retrospect.

It helps that Galaxy is quite nice.  I'm guessing releasing the Galaxy client into public beta before Witcher 3 came out was no accident.  They are basically assuring a larger customer base going forward, and it makes the Nvidia deal seem a lot less one-sided.  I assume that they gave keys to Nvidia in exchange for free/reduced licenses for all the GameWorks/PhysX stuff, but since the keys are for their own marketplace/platform they're not really losing much.

Be careful with GOG, I signed up 3 years ago just to buy Planescape: Torment and now I have 122 games with them. >_<

Seriously, though, it's good to see more people getting introduced to GOG.

"Seriously, though, it's good to see more people getting introduced to GOG."

Because just like that it should operate software distribution. ( at least games, and the "pirates" will always be defective unit in society )
When I pay for something, it wants to use when I want, without the need for additional bloatware I mean software ;). ( STEAM etc... )

The GOG summer sale has started:

"Unlock up to three free games, with daily bundles & game discounts up to 90% off, and a torrent of surprises!"  =O

Also for Witcher 3 fans there's new free dlc.

For anybody who might be interested and not yet aware - I just noticed that GOG has a sale going on for the next 24 hours or so. The Witcher and the Witcher 2 are both 85% off and some other games are half price or more too.

GoG.com has a good deal on the old Gothic games (1, 2 and 3 + its DLC). 1-3 for $3.99 each, DLC for 3 at $2.49. Well worth the money even with the aging graphics on the first two games.

Deal is only good for the next 4 hours though :P

Skyrim Legendary Edition on sale again on Steam for $13.49. No more excuses people :P

oh, while the steam sale is running, I'd like to get my hands on a steam version of FO3 that isn't censored (I know, there are mods around to circumvent this, but they are not compatible with everything).

Does someone (not living in Germany) want to lend me a hand with a steam sale gift swap (I gift you a game on steam, you gift me glorious gory FO3)?

edit: lets keep fingers crossed, that this is working

oh, while the steam sale is running, I'd like to get my hands on a steam version of FO3 that isn't censored (I know, there are mods around to circumvent this, but they are not compatible with everything).

Does someone (not living in Germany) want to lend me a hand with a steam sale gift swap (I gift you a game on steam, you gift me glorious gory FO3)?

edit: lets keep fingers crossed, that this is working

Hi Gruftlord,

If you still want FO3, there is a daily deal today on Steam and I can buy it for you. My Steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998629568/

GoG has both Legend of Grimrock games on sale for $8.28.

$2.29 for the first, $5.99 for the second. If you're at all into old style RPGs like Bards Tale (I-III) then these games are an awesome deal.

Hi Gruftlord,

If you still want FO3, there is a daily deal today on Steam and I can buy it for you. My Steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998629568/

Thank you for the offer. It is no longer necessary luckily. The steam key seller i linked worked. Apparently they get their keys from nethesda directly, and offer the uncut game, no matter your download region.

Gotta watch it with those key seller sites. Not all of them are legit. Some of them use stolen credit cards to buy legit keys and resell them.

Yes, i read about these schemes. Apparently, a list of keysellers floats around the interwebs, of sites that are "officionally" deemed legit for selling TESO keys (i.e. after a recent wave of bans, none of their customers was banned). I made sure to pick one from that list. They are long enough in business, that i figured if they used stolen credit cards, they would have been caught by now.

• 2 weeks later...

GoG has both Legend of Grimrock games on sale for $8.28.

$2.29 for the first, $5.99 for the second. If you're at all into old style RPGs like Bards Tale (I-III) then these games are an awesome deal.

Humble Bundle store offers a 75% discount on Legend of Grimrock 2. The offer will be gone in twenty hours, hurry up !

And yes these are awesome games. A tribute to illustrious predecessors like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder, did you guys play these games ? When I was a teen these games were the Skyrim of that time. Great memories !  :wub:

Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 managed to recreate the spirit of these wonderful games. 10/10 for me.

There's a 33% discount for Pillars of Eternity. I'm looking to buy it at a discount price. Is it realistic to ever expect 50% for newly released games?

There'll be a DLC out soon. My guess: After that it's probably back to full price for the main game bundled with the dlc this time. Then you need to wait till black friday for 50% dicount.

Not sure really. PoE is a high price indie game, so i expect the dlc to also sell for 20 bucks or something. So far there has been little advertising for it aside from an announcement trailer. My feeling is that this doesn't look like they are trying to increase sales of the base game by using the PR momentum of the DLC, but rather target the current owners as the main audience. Therefor i think it is unlikely that there will be a dlc release bundle with any noteworthy price cut.

If you long to play the game, i say get it while it's cheap. There also is no release date yet for the dlc, so we do not know how far away it is.

As a general tip: the best money saving can be had by only buying games the moment you want to and have time to play them. Ignore the game sales. I find i buy way less this way, and spend way less, while also supporting the devs more, whose games i actially play (by paying full price for them). You want to play it now? Buy it!

I'd tend to agree. Grab it while it's 33% off. If you can get that price on GoG, so much the better.

I bought mine when it was only 10% off, so now I'm jealous :P (haven't played it yet though, never enough time!)

If you really need to play it now, then go for it. It's a good deal for a new game. If you want to get it cheaper then it'll probably be around 50% off during the Fall or Winter sales.

If you wait long enough you can get most GOG games at 75%-80% off. In the sale that's on right now, Age of Wonders 3, which came out last year, is already at 66% off, and I remember it being on sale at that price before. Likewise, Wasteland 2 is already at 50% off.

Thanks guys. If there's anything Skyrim or ES related (except the ES:Online), there's no waiting period. The ES content and lore is bought at a time of the release. :P
However, as much as I like Pillars, it's not a game I necessarily must own, so waiting for a discount is reasonable. As you say, 33% is good enough for a purchase, can't wait for the next year or black Friday.

I guess it'll be a great game for late summer nights. The 90% score on Steam is a bit of concern for a stellar game that I hope. There are some quite bold negative remarks. After supporting and buying (and regretting) Elite:Dangerous ahead of its release, I'm a bit cautious about all kickstarter-funded games.