TES4Edit "Check for Errors"

Malonn

Has anyone ever run TESEdit's "Check for Errors" on the Oblivion.esm?  Surely some UOP author's have?  Well, long story short, I have managed to fix most by loading the esm into the CSE and saving.  The CSE sorts issues (I guess.  I can only assume, as I have two versions of Oblivion.esm--one custom and one vanilla, and the only difference in the custom one is some worldspace edits and saving in the CSE) by saving a plugin because my custom esm has 148 issues (more about that below) and the vanilla esm has 501, acording to TESEdit.  Here is a sample of most (over 99%) of my custom esm's errors:

[00:00] BW08 "Bound Priest Dagger" [MGEF:00094008]
[00:00]     MGEF \ EDID - Magic Effect Code -> Expected 4 bytes but found 0
[00:00] Z019 "Summon Sewn Flesh Atronach" [MGEF:0007FDBB]
[00:00] Z018 "Summon Stitched Flesh Atronach" [MGEF:0007FDBA]

The vanilla esm has tons more (which people may have noticed) but they both share the error types posted above.  What is that?  What can be done to fix it?  I know you don't recommend editing "Oblivion.esm" directly, but this is just my own fun modding time; I can do what I want.  The point here is what would correct these errors?

Is it an TESEdit thing, because the CSE does not show these errors.  I have one error in the CSE and I'm working on it--it's tricky to fix.

EDIT:

I realize why I do not have but a fraction of the errors in my custom esm versus the vanilla esm: This here patch does wonders for your Oblivion.esm.  This is the reason most of my errors are gone from TESEdit, and the CSE.

You should never load the Oblivion.esm file to attempt to save it under any circumstances. That will lead to your game being corrupted because the file itself comes out corrupted. That's something many of us tried back in the day only to be met with the lack of landscape anywhere and most static objects being missing - just as though we had saved something that tries to edit a .esm file's worldspaces with another .esm file.

Yes, we've run the check for errors function on Oblivion.esm before. It's basically pointless to do so as most of them will turn out to be false errors just as they are with all of the later games too.

Okay, thanks for the advice.  I would like to say that I have been merging the UOP into Oblivion.esm and been meticulously checking for errors as I go, while also playtesting (admitedly, I haven't left the turtorial dungeon.  I plan on testing much more once I have the UOP merged as I like it), and I have had zero issues.  I'm also consulting with GBR (GBRPluss on Nexus) who has been directly modifying the esm for years.  He has pretty extensively playtested and has had no issues he can't correct.  I wonder if the tools used to edit the esm have come a long way since you tried to edit it?  You need the CSE.  I have loaded several worldspace cells in the CSE without error or rendering problems.  I haven't been outside yet in-game, however.  GBR's years of doing this give me confidence, I will say.

But thanks for the warning.  I will see where this leads me.  If it corrupt, it's merely time I lost.

Also, GBR said as you did that the errors are false errors and can be ignored, so thanks for backing him up.

You won't have any problems while editing in CSE (and yes, that's what we all used back then too) but you certainly will when you leave the tutorial dungeon. Don't be surprised if you walk out the door and find that there's nothing BUT the door out there in the immediate area. And a short drop into the water as you realize you're standing on nothing.

Honestly, tinkering project or no, I don't really see any value in merging UOP into the Oblivion.esm file. It's quite possible there are mods out there that are set to use its filename via OBSE to find out if you have it or not and those mods will then be broken by its absence even though you've merged the fixes.

It's not been problem-free, I'll tell you that.  Don't xEdit auto-merge.  That's a no-go.  Be careful with INFO (Dialog Topic)--I've borked my game there and am still not sure if it can be merged at all.  MGEF needs editing in the CSE, as does IDLE--no TESEdit work for them.  Luckily the UOP doesn't make many changes to those two record groups.  It can be done and I like tinkering/tweaking.  GBRPluss has thousands of people using an edited Oblivion.esm, so it's possible to do, and has been thoroughly verified--you just need to be careful and work with what people have figured out before.

I'll post here as time goes on to see if I fuc*ed my game up.  I'm confident I won't.  As for any file that requires the UOP, it's just a matter of an blank esp.  Anything that requires it's edits will be found in the main esm.

Status report: I've merged everything except INFO and have lightly play tested; I have not found one problem in-game.  Landscapes are fine.

Now it's on to merging INFO.  GBR says it can be done.  I have not had luck with it yet.

INFO successfully merged.  It required a couple of fixes mostly automated through the CSE, but all seems fine and dandy as of now.  It needs a good playthrough.