Paint.NET now supports all DDS formats (including BC7 Linear etc)

alt3rn1ty

And 17 hours later, checking for updates, 5.0.5 is being offered. They move quickly :P

• 1 month later...

Version 1.12.0 has been released on the Paint.NET forum and GitHub,

Changes:

• Reduced memory usage when loading.
  • Various optimizations to the loading and saving code.
  • Only enable the Error Metric option for BC1-BC3.
  • Added the plugin version to the save UI.
  • Show an error when loading a texture array or volume map.
    • These files posed a silent data loss risk when saving because the plugin does not read all of the images.
Edited by 0xC0000005

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.12.1 has been released on the Paint.NET forum and GitHub, I also recently added a mirror on Nexus Mods.

Changes:

• Improved support for loading the 'swizzled' BC3/DXT5 normal map variants used by DOOM 3 (and possibly other games using the same engine).
  • Added support for loading FlatOut 2 textures with an incorrect DDS_PIXELFORMAT size.

Are you sure that plugin is even still needed? It was just offering to save some stuff for me using BC7 format today and I don't have that plugin installed.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

Are you sure that plugin is even still needed? It was just offering to save some stuff for me using BC7 format today and I don't have that plugin installed.

The plugin is bundled with Paint.NET, but I still release updates to it independently of Paint.NET's updates.

This arrangement is described in the Paint.NET 4.2.2 release notes linked to in the first post in this thread, but I will quote the relevant part below:

Regarding the bundling of DDSFileTypePlus, which replaces the old built-in DDS support: The key word here is bundling. The plugin is now installed into a separate directory called Bundled (a technical detail that you shouldn't have to worry about). If you already have DDSFileTypePlus installed into the FileTypes directory then it will not be loaded; instead, the bundled version will be used (usually ... keep reading).

However, the bundled plugin is only updated when Paint.NET itself is updated, and @null54 will still be releasing DDSFileTypePlus updates independently of Paint.NET's updates. If you want to, you can still install the DDSFileTypePlus plugin into the FileTypes directory. If the "user-installed" version (in the FileTypes directory) is newer than the "bundled" version, then the user-installed version will be used instead of the bundled version.

tl;dr -- The DDSFileTypePlus plugin can exist in two locations: "Bundled" (which comes with Paint.NET) and "FileTypes" (where you normally install plugins). Whichever one is newer will be loaded, and the other one is ignored.

So, for many folks, you can just leave DDSFileTypePlus alone and it will automatically be updated to its latest version whenever a Paint.NET update is installed. But if a new version of DDSFileTypePlus is released and it contains a feature or a fix that you need, and you can't wait, you can just install it like usual and it will be used instead of the (older) bundled version.

(Also, note that the .dds2 file extension is no longer necessary when using DDSFileTypePlus -- whether it's bundled or user-installed!)

But to answer your question, most users probably do not need to install the plugin themselves. Unless they immediately need the features and/or bug fixes in the new version.

Edited by 0xC0000005

• 4 weeks later...

@0xC0000005:A very minor niggle for a W10 subscriber, was running version 4 assuming it was the latest. (Did have the distinct impression that once Paint.net was installed, Windows Update would take care of future updates.)

Updated through help on the gui, no problem, and no problem with popups or anything like that. However the install didn't recognise my subscription - see the following (same for ver. 5.09 which is current):

installcomplete.png

Instead of "You can also support paint.net ..." expected something like a "We value your continuing patronage..." instead.

Note: Do have a completed order and invoice dated from Nov. 2019, but Paint.net doesn't show up in Subscriptions at all. Know of any way to get it showing in there, or is it #ticket time?

Thanks.

Edited by lmstearn

On 9/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, lmstearn said:

(Did have the distinct impression that once Paint.net was installed, Windows Update would take care of future updates.)

Only the Microsoft Store version of Paint.NET has automatic background updates, updates have to be user-installed on the the free version.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, lmstearn said:

Note: Do have a completed order and invoice dated from Nov. 2019, but Paint.net doesn't show up in Subscriptions at all. Know of any way to get it showing in there, or is it #ticket time?

The Microsoft Store version is a one-time purchase not a subscription.

Don't know where the subscription came from, sorry. The updates are not automatic, so something broke. 

image.thumb.jpeg.17999cc69c0ddbe6777a9857eb5c1ed1.jpeg

Sounds like a job for Mr. Fixit, was this kind of thing ever a part of his retirement plan?

5 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Don't know where the subscription came from, sorry. The updates are not automatic, so something broke. 

I think you may have classic (free) version installed instead of the one from the Microsoft Store. The donation prompts are only shown when updating the classic version.

You can uninstall the classic version and install the Store version from the Microsoft Store app.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:42 PM, 0xC0000005 said:

I think you may have classic (free) version installed instead of the one from the Microsoft Store.

Thanks, it was, must have installed it through the Store on another PC, assuming it would somehow automagically adjust on this one. May happen one day. :)

• 3 weeks later...