Changing the flashlight emitter rotation

mous3play

Hi AFK.

I'm trying to mod a mod. I've got the Pip-Boy Flashlight installed (it changes the Pip-Boy light from omnidirectional to spotlight) and I'm trying to rotate the light emitter. The reason is because I'm playing in VR and currently it always points to the right instead of forward. I've got no mod creation experience with Bethesda games but I'm a quick learner and was wondering if anyone here can point me to what I should be looking for or what files I should be messing with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a quote of my findings from Reddit;

To confirm what u/Zebrazilla said in the old thread, loose files do not seem to override what's packed in the 'Fallout 4_VR - Main.ba2' file. Only way to see a modification in-game is to re-pack the files into the .ba2 again.

I've confirmed that I can recreate the .ba2 "binary perfect", which means IF I figure out how to modify the light's direction, you should be able to do so without installing all the modding tools, as long as you're not afraid of using a hex editor.

I'm now playing around with the files to see if I can modify the light's direction.

EDIT; I tried turning the whole 'PipboyVR.nif' mesh 90°, but that had no effect on the light direction, so it must be somewhere else. Will keep on looking.

EDIT 2; Tried editing the 'Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp', changing the color did nothing but changing the FOV made the beam a lot bigger. Don't see any way to rotate the emitter though.

EDIT 3; Rotating the 'PBF1stattachLight.nif' did nothing. Adding the Pip-Boy Flashlight meshes into 'Fallout 4_VR - Main.ba2' did nothing. :(

EDIT 4; Tried rotating most of the meshes in 'Fallout 4_VR - Main.ba2' and the ones that come with the Pip-Boy Flashlight mod, made no difference to the flashlight. Gotta dig deeper. Hopefully it's not hard coded into the .exe.

EDIT 5; Tried a different mod, 'Basic Pipboy Flashlight'. Has the same problem.

EDIT 6; Can't seem to run the Creation Kit executable because of some missing .dlls. Those .dlls are nowhere to be found on my computer.

EDIT 7; Been digging into the game files. I don't think the flashlight is attached to the Pipboy mesh, I'm not even sure it's in a .nif mesh, although it's relative rotation must be a variable somewhere! Looking through 'Fallout4.esm' in FO4Edit, I found an object called 'LightEquipSlot' which has a 'DATA - Object' variable containing 'LeftHand [EQUP:00013F43]'. It has no other variables and I haven't found any .nif related to any of that. Gotta sleep now...

EDIT 8; Noticed this in the manual installation instructions for the mod:

If you are using the offset 1st person light, you should also remove:
• data\meshes\Clothes\Hats\MiningHelmet1stattachLight.nif

Tried adding the file as a loose file and modifying it. Didn't change the flashlight. Tried adding the modified file to 'Fallout 4_VR - Main.ba2'. Nope.

I was using the newest v6 BETA of the Pip-Boy Flashlight, so I tried using v5 with it's installer instead. Tried both options of mounting it to the Pip-Boy and to the player head and tried also both the 1st and 3rd person offsetting options. It always emitts from the Pip-Boy in the same 90° offset way, no matter what. The flashlight emitter in VR is definitely getting it's position from somewhere else.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2019 at 10:29 AM, mous3play said:

Hi AFK.

I'm trying to mod a mod. I've got the Pip-Boy Flashlight installed (it changes the Pip-Boy light from omnidirectional to spotlight) and I'm trying to rotate the light emitter. The reason is because I'm playing in VR and currently it always points to the right instead of forward. I've got no mod creation experience with Bethesda games but I'm a quick learner and was wondering if anyone here can point me to what I should be looking for or what files I should be messing with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a quote of my findings from Reddit;

I've been looking in to this too - not entirely sure how to even get it to rotate. I tried editing the meshes in the mod, tried editing the pipboyVR.nif extracted from the fallout4_VR main bsa and tried editing the esp. I have no idea how the light source is changed. 

Yeah I gave up in the end. Another user/modder created a gobo (an overlay) for the omnidirectional light to make it tighter. It doesn't cast shadows but it's better than the vanilla light. Can't seem to find it now though.