Custom Shield Nif Problems

Jude Carpathian

For my SSE mod I'm attempting to make a custom shield nif out of the WRJovaskrBanner02. I have made weapon mashups before in nifskope before but not with something as complex as a banner. So I tried the normal way of opening an existing shield, copying the banner into the shield file, saving it out, and placing it in game. Through this method the item shows up fine in my inventory and when dropped on the floor, but in my hand the banner/shield does not appear. I imagine there are more steps to take in nifskope, but I have no idea what. Can anyone please please help?

If you attach the nif file here I can take a closer look. I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to accomplish, wrjovaskrbanner02.nif is a complex animated nif.

I just want that nif (wrjovaskrbanner02.nif) to be able to be used as a shield in game. I know how to hook it all up in the CK i just need the nif to work.

I can help you better if I see the nif file. :)

If you don't want to post it here you can PM it to me.

Ok, well, I'm surprised this mesh didn't crash your game completely.

The mesh still contains skinned data from when it was an animated banner. Shields are not skinned. All that skinned data needs to be removed and that isn't actually possible with SE meshes as the niskininstance contains all the data information for the actual mesh. Once that skinned data is removed it basically just deletes the object.

It could be accomplished using LE meshes though, as the data for the object is held in the NiTriShapeData block and not the niskininstance. So build your new mesh using LE meshes, removing all the skinning, and when done you can convert to SE with NifOptimizer.

Ok, good, almost there I think. You just forgot to remove the skinning flag in the three BSLightingShaderProperty blocks.

001.jpg