GDC 2019

alt3rn1ty

Thought this would be better in its own topic

Anyone else saw the Google announcement at GDC ?

Hopefully I got this link right ..

Amazing stuff - But there is a snag, one or two thoughts

1. Buying these games Permanent subscriptions, or rental like videos, or a one off payment and own it forever .. But you dont get a copy on your machine/s hmm.

2. Are google going to pay for the UKs British Telecom to bring us out of the dark ages and into fiber to the door for every part of the UK .. Because I know an awful lot of people who will be saying "But my internet is sheeeeet"! :D

There may be some people in London have good fiber speeds, there maybe parts of the UK where Virgin Meedia still run networks through old Ninex Cable runs in places like Portsmouth ..

But the majority of the UK are on British Telecoms backbone (some parts of which are rented out to other ISPs like Talk<Spits>Talk) which has (if you are lucky) fibre to the cabinet somewhere away down the road, which connects up to the same old drop pole which is shorting a copper wire waving about in the wind for the last fifty years over someone elses garden, through some trees, embedded in the house brickwork / plaster and eventually to your router. If you are in more remote parts of Scotland / Wales / Ireland / Yorkshire .. Forget it. Investment in the infrastructure for better broadband in the UK is still pants, no matter how much your ISP or Government MPs blow their own kazoo about figures on a good day with the wind behind it and a shot up the arse from a lightning bolt.

Anyway feel free to use this topic for any GDC 2019 posts.