Anyone tried "Disconnect"?

Malonn

I'm considering dropping Ghostery and going with uBlock, but then I ran across Disconnect.  Has anyone tried it?  Naturally, it's site boasts that it the NY Times' #1 privacy tool.  But if true, that's an endorsement nonetheless.

So, thoughts?

Never tried Disconnect but I've heard good things about it from people who have. In either case, definitely drop Ghostery like a hot potato since they're known to track data from their users and sell it after the company changed hands.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think alt3rn1ty said that in another thread.  That's what planted the seed to look elsewhere.  I think I'll give Disconnect a try...

Yep tried Disconnect. It was better when first launched and it wanted to attract users / reputation.

Now its more useful and advanced features you have to pay for.

I still prefer UBlock Origin (Written by Raymond Hill A.K.A Gorhill, and not the other UBlock), purely because its open source, no business agenda, and it also utilizes and keeps up to date a filter list based on what you select (Easylist and all the rest that adblockers typically cherry pick from .. I still prefer MVPS Hosts list to be set in the 3rd Party list preferences of UBlock Origin, so that I dont need to keep updating machines actual hosts files with the same)

lJZliRE.png

If any of that conflicts with a site you wish to allow, you just whitelist the site by clicking the UBlock Origin Standby button while on the site, then refresh the page.

Read more about MVPS Hosts file here http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Its been going for years, updates every couple of month, and now you dont need to replace the hosts file, just let UBlock Origin manage it in the browsers filter lists provided by the extension automatically. Keeps all our family machines from the majority of malware sites / bad ad links / bad iframe compromises (like the ones Nexus used to be plagued with but Robin was blind to for a few years - See post #6 here https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/302120-mvps-hosts-file-detrimental-or-advised/ ).

There are a few changes coming to Chromium (if thats what you use), which may impede browser extensions functionality in future (and I think Firefox will follow suit), including all the best ones such as UBlock Origin, Disconnect, AdBlock / Plus etc .. Depends on how strict Google chrome developers are going to be. Hopefully most of the functionality will survive to make the best of them still viable and not too cobbled in their abilities, but even then Chromes development is to stop browsers derived from the same code being exploited in certain ways. So long term I think its all going to turn out fine, and google do not wish to stomp on ad blockers, its just the privileges which allow some extensions to do some of what they do will be taken away.

I noticed Disconnect is not an ad blocker, or like you mentioned, the ad blocking feature may need to be paid for.  I'm going to give it a fair shake, however.  I don't mind tasteful ads on a site, and would like to support a site's lifeline, but some ads go way too far and other sites are just down right dangerous without a blocker.

Thanks for the links, I'll read through them.

If Disconnect doesn't cut the mustard, I'll see about uBlock Origin.