Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

@DragoonWraith: I would hope that a good lawyer would've told him not only that he had no grounds to sue you for libel/slander but also that he should stop his cyberstalking before someone came after him with charges. But I imagine that, even if he went to a laywer about it, he wouldn't have revealed the whole situation honestly anyway. :shrug: @Vorians: No, I understand that a compatibility mod is just a means to make the two mods work together without disabling anything from either of them (where possible). But, yes, I'm sure that he will see it that way since your compatibility mod breaks his attempts to make his mod break your mod to begin with. As convoluted as that is.

The whole mod changes to break a patch that's easily fixed only to break the patch again later and be fixed immediately reminds me of how Sony invested millions into the perfect unbreakable DRM for discs only to have someone defeat it with a 49 cent Sharpie.

[quote]I'd have punched you in the face instead. [/quote] Don't know how i missed this, it would seem that Sammy is a man after my own heart, sometimes, just sometimes, i punch in the face is what a situation calls for when, no matter how rational you talk to the other person, they just wont listen to reason. Its just so sad that the world now days is so sue sue sue that even the thought of giving someone a smack in the head will land you in a jail cell. Us old school hard guys, who have worked in the construction industry all our lives kind of lament for the old days when every major workplace grievance was sorted out at the back of the pub, followed by a handshake and the looser buying the victor a beer. Or being able to grease the butt crack of an apprentice because he did not get the left hand screwdriver or the checkered paint. Oh the old days.

Curiosity got the better of me so I wanted to see just what Giskard did between CUO Chorro 1.6.1 and 1.7. The very first glaring thing I notice is that the two master files are switched in the ordering between 1.6.1 and 1.7. For 1.6.1, CURP_Controller.esm is listed first, with CyrodiilUpgradeResourcePack.esm listed second. For 1.7 that's been flipped. It probably doesn't matter for the game, but trying to run a compare in TES4Edit can't happen until the discrepancy is resolved. Which is easy to resolve. Just use TES4Edit to "sort masters" on the 1.6.1 file. Once this is done, the comparison is easy. He hasn't actually moved anything, even with a slight nudge. It looks like the problem lies with the flipped order of the master files themselves which probably threw off what the patch was expecting. The only differences are with the new parts he added to the mod. It does reveal he hasn't got a clue how master file ordering can seriously mess things up if you blindly load a mod that had things in a different order.

Um, yeah, Fury.. I'll just leave you and your apprentice to your private room now.. ;) Unless, Samson, the real story is just that he does understand what changing the order will do and that's really the bulk of what he did solely to try to mess up the existing compatibility patch. :rolleyes:

Versions 1.0 through 1.5 of CUO Chorrol had the master load order the same as v1.7 - only v1.61 had them swapped. This had zero impact on the patch (and the reason for the switch in v1.6 is because he didn't make the changes for that release, the primary creator of Chorrol Jewellery Shop did, to improve compatibility without need of a patch - notice that it wasn't even Giskard who actually DID what he was boasting about with his patch-free compatibility between the two mods). Samson/Arthmoor, look closer, you'll see there are more changes :) You cannot just look at the comparisons, he's deleted objects and placed new objects (a tiny bit relocated). To view these you need to expand the worldspace cell temporaries for both the old and new. These are the reasons I had to update the patch.

Not sure how else it's supposed to be compared. I loaded 1.6.1 in, told tes4edit to "compare to", loaded 1.7, and started looking through all the branches. Some new stuff was added, the rest was all green except the vanilla deletions - which both versions were showing. Is there some other way to do a comparison of two mod files? His methodology of deleting the vanilla stuff to add his own replacements is crude and unnecessary in any case. Yet another example of where TES4Edit shines - just change the references base object. For temporary stuff, entirely harmless and reversible. What surprises me more is that he moved an XMarker. Even he should know that's never going to work due to them being persistent.

Interesting, so even changing the load order wasn't the problem and the changes which were actually beneficial weren't actually his doing despite claims to the contrary.. go figure.

@ Samson: Do what you just described, but also look through the content of the old ESP. You'll see the records he deleted in the old version, and the new records in the new version. Each deleted record has a corresponding new record of the same base object. Click on one record, hold ctrl and click on the corresponding record. Right-click one of them and choose Compare selected. You'll see that they are identical in all ways except their coordinates, which are barely changed. Repeat for every deleted/new record and you'll see the same pattern, identical except barely moved to a new location a few points from where the deleted one was placed. Purpose? Unknown. Presumed purpose? To break the patch. Result? Fixed in less than an hour. @ Conner: The swapped master files was never a problem, the game gets around that quite well - getting it right in the ESP is more about tidiness and to ensure modding tools like TES4Edit will work than to benefit the game. The problem always was the deleted records which my patch moved, and the replacement new records which weren't moved enough to validate moving them in the first place, which wouldn't have been a problem either if he'd just moved the original objects - the patch would still have picked them up and relocated them to where they're compatible. The problem is simply that he deleted and replaced, so that there were now new records in the ESP which hadn't existed when the patch was first made, thus requiring the patch be updated to accommodate these. In the end, it all worked out fine (until his next update).

Great news! Thanks to the compatibility patches I've created for Giskard's mods, more people are now taking an interest in using his mods, since they are able to enjoy both BC and his mods together without conflict. There's a new post on Giskard's site about it (though he hasn't mentioned the link between the increase in interest and the increase in his potential user-base from BC users due to my patches, nor the fact that by creating these patches, BC is now providing some nice free promotion of his mods, drawing interest from people who won't ever have heard of them before).

I see. Hmm, so effectively you've helped his mods significantly in both cross-mod functionality and advertising and you're the devil for it still?

Yup! Not how he described it of course. He's attributing it to the dying of the Oblivion modding community, the excellence of his modding ability, and the nastiness of people on all other Oblivion forums and sites driving people to join his forums to escape the awful atmosphere of Beth forums and Nexus.

Loosely translated, his narcissism has him thinking his mod community is the only one left. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Bethesda's forums are as active as ever, TESA is thriving, Nexus has seen a 25% increase in traffic, and I suspect you'd find all of the other lesser known places are doing just fine. Including his own.

[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/blog/652-i-have-come-to-a-decision]The cycle appears complete.[/url] Like he's done over and over in the past, it seems Giskard is about to once more sacrifice all his mods to the fires of hell while blaming other people for his woes. I'd suggest anyone wanting copies for whatever reason head over and grab them while you still can.

Hey there Arthmoor/Samson! Decided to join the Inguanadons to show my support for finally retaliating against the endless flood of sleeze and dirt Giskard has been throwing from within the safety of his Guild. It is rather funny at times, but I can fully imagine that it becomes a pain in the ass at a certain point. Enough is enough.

Hmm, are any of Giskard's mods worth the trouble of rushing to grab? Welcome aboard, StarX, it's always nice to meet a new friend. :)

@ Conner: I would say yes, very likely. BUT if adding to a game with several other mods, you'll need to clean each mod (I do this anyway for every mod I install, but it's especially important for some of Giskard's mods). It isn't the mods which are at fault (beyond a few bugs, but all mods have bugs, and the need to clean the ESPs), it's the modder's attitude which is at fault. Ignore him, and I believe the mods themselves stand a good chance of being worthy of playing. The CUO Cities ones however are still much too early in their creation process to have any solid content, I would class them as early betas (what they contain is fully functioning, but as yet there's minimal content in them) rather than full-blown releases. His earlier mods (the ones he's going to delete again) are completed mods, fully featured, and should play well after cleaning.

I was thinking this was a secluded area :ninja: where no one could find us and yet StarX found us! Hello StarX! Guess I'll have to behave now... or not :evil:

Hey, welcome to the party, StarX! :) Jump in and join the fun. (Also tejon and DragoonWraith who I missed way up there) No need to behave, Ismelda. I don't. This is Samson's place, feel free to put your feet up on the coffee table. :devil:

I was just kidding :) I am not ashamed of any of my word (unless it is a spelling mistake). I just can't wait for one moron to finally get a sight of this site. :evil:

Ok, Vorians, I'll take that fully under consideration then, thanks. :) Ismelda, Hanaisse is right, we're not nearly as secluded here as you might think, but there's no real need to worry about behaving particularly. Samson runs the place very casually and we're mainly all friends here even if we strongly disagree about some things from time to time (after all, the main brunt of our debates is usually political). Even spelling mistakes aren't [i]that[/i] big a deal. :lol:

Heh, it wasn't so hard to find. As this website is listed in Samson's profile.:whistle: No need to hold back as I had to deal with a one of his minions a while ago as well. Threatened to get me banned from the Bethsoft forums for making fun of his master! Of course I had a good laugh about that before putting him on ignore. :biggrin:

Heh. If spelling mistakes were a big deal, I could have written an entire article on Giskard's typos. I suspect that minion you had to deal with is the same one who enjoys stirring the pot by reporting topics like this to his master.