Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

If you guys read the entire OP and all 32 pages of comments, how about a giant statue of a cookie? :troll:

If anything he's said in the last few blog entries he's got is true, I can't blame him for locking things down. He's also right about Reddit. It's a cesspool that condones illegal activity. But, this is Giskard we're talking about. It's entirely likely he's made up half of the shit he posted for dramatic effect and the real issue was just a few random trolls still out for blood after the paid mods thing blew over. He's going to be in for a rude awakening if he thinks modding for any other game will be any less full of idiots :P

[quote=Giskard]The only people I see going to this extreme on a regular basis as American gamers, they nearly always say their Constitution allows them to be cyber criminals on sites hosted outside of America. In fact most of those I see going to this extreme come from California specifically. Arthmoor behaved the same way until I found out his real name and address. Then he stopped. He too is from California and he also thinks the constitutions allows him to do the same sort of things as scout. There is a pattern of behavior by crooks online that identifies them as crooks, I have learned to look for these signs. EG dodgy email addresses, site registration details that are hidden, the little things give them away. Honest and legal users do not use nor need those tricks, anybody that went out of their way to learn those tricks clearly needs them and has a reason for using them. Arthmoor uses those tricks too and he also behaves this way.[/quote] What's all this Arth? He been right about you all along?

Uh, no? Those are just more of the mad ravings of a lunatic. Nobody in their right mind is suggesting that the Constitution allows anyone to be a cyber criminal. From the look of things, he's still on about the whole "Samson is Arthmoor, he tried to hide this from you!" thing he's been doing for 7 years now. If he thinks it's somehow criminal to have more than one online alias, then maybe "The Guildmaster" aka "Giskard" aka "giskarduk" should look in the mirror and then turn himself in to British authorities. My alias on this blog predates my involvement in the TES modding community. If "Samson" hadn't been registered on the BGS forum when I first signed up, I'd have been using it all along. "Arthmoor" has a history with me that he's simply not aware of. It wasn't just plucked out of the ether at random to try and hide from him. He thinks too much of himself if that's why he thinks I did it. As for him thinking he has my home address, not likely. He's certainly never said anything of the sort to me and I've certainly never stopped standing up to his bullshit all this time either. Just go check the old Steam forums if you want a rare look at what happens to him when he's NOT in control of the environment and can be confronted on proper terms. Rather than it being me who backed down and shut his mouth, you'll find it was actually him who left once the truth was out. Especially once a number of the people he's abused and bullied realized he wasn't able to silence their dissent either and THEY spoke out against him too. I don't know what sort of rules exist for registering .uk domains like he has for his site, but in the US, registering a domain also allows you to pay a small extra fee to attach privacy guards on the information. So yes, he has my real name (like, duh, look at the bottom of the page here) but if he thinks Dynadot's "care of" address is mine he's only proving himself as dumb as he sounds. There's nothing illegal about it, and only a fool would register a domain that requires posting their physical address and phone number for all the spammers to see.

[quote] There's nothing illegal about it, and only a fool would register a domain that requires posting their physical address and phone number for all the spammers to see.[/quote] Ahh, but Giskard is a fool!

Decided I was going to do an AMA if anyone is interested. https://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/comments/368a9s/i_used_to_work_for_giskard_ama/

Oi, r/modpiracy. I sure hope you don't support what those thugs are up to? Giskard is a total jackass, but they're his mods. It's his right to decide whether or not they're available to anyone.

No, I think somewhere I said that I do not condone what they are doing. Just wanted to... educate... people on Giskard. [url=http://jerue.org/?p=224]I wrote my option on paid mods on my own site[/url].

Ah, ok. Well you've probably seen my gargantuan post dedicated to paid mods, but the short of it is, I don't think Bethesda or Valve were ripping us off. A few minutes of research into the kind of model they were running things with indicates they were being quite generous in fact. Now, maybe Valve is ripping off Dota 2 and CS modders, but that's an entirely different animal I think, since Valve is the only party taking the 75% cut in those cases. Think of it this way. You have guaranteed assurance that any lurking legal issues with modding Skyrim for money have been cleared away by Bethesda. You have a ready made distribution platform with exposure to MILLIONS of people (more than Nexus, let's be honest here) and a ton of bandwidth provided by Valve. I don't think it was at all unreasonable of them to ask for 75% to split between them. Sure, we'd all have been happier with more, but some time to mull it over and think about it logically convinced most of us that we were in fact getting a good deal. Also people WERE buying the stuff, in large enough numbers that I think we all made it past the first payout threshold by the Saturday after launch. So there's a demand. Valve and Bethesda now KNOW there's a demand. So they'll try again, and I hope they do. I hope they do with Skyrim even. Maybe after some tweakage is done, but definitely try again with Skyrim.

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I would mention that his royal delusion has started accusing me of "stalking" him now. I am getting messages on Facebook and Reddit about this now because He thinks that I am going after him on YouTube or something. Lunatic. http://jerue.org/?p=296

You stood up for yourself. In his mind, that's harassing him. Someone needs to call his bluff. He keeps going on about calling the cops. Well. Someone should call them on him for all the libel and harassment he's engaging in from what he thinks is the safety of his own website.

Funnily enough, the things that he cites have no correlation to what he says. They have to do with if someone is visibly stalking you in public; as in they follow you to your house. His Zealots are insane, they just don't stop. I tried to go for a run but was just getting little ding notifications because they just keep going. I can't believe, I used to be one of them. I am so sorry lol.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for laying out the full story.  I came across this in my play through from a mod I guess made by Giskard(which I cleaned with TES4 edit and added to my bashed patch). Reading this got me to delve into the history a bit and when I found that the better cities team and you were on the other side of the "reeee other people are mean" I was shocked. Thank you for all the modding work you and the community did and do.

IMG_20201211_201119.jpg

Heh, real blast from the past stuff here :P

Loads of people who came to thank me for posting about it and everything since they couldn't ever get that chance on the BGS forums of the day. So it's no real surprise to any of us that he'd include these kinds of messages in quest logs within his mods too.

Pretty much all of us who went through this crap 12 years ago are still around, but Giskard is not, which is pretty much all anyone needs to know now.

Wow! Yeah I'll bet I felt like I was uncovering some blast from the past nostalgia I wasn't even a part of haha!

I'll bet there were tons but yeah thanks again for having all the details on it all and even replying to me on this old post. 

Love your mods thanks for what you and all the other great modders I'm sure you associate with do!

• 5 months later...

Wow!  I am new in this house and I don’t even know where all the plates and cups are yet, but kicking around in the attic, I find this old box thick with dust.  Inside...a huge work of Art (soz, couldn’t resist, Lol).

I can’t make mods and all this is none of my business, but fascinating to read.  It also answers a question I had.  I came across the phrase elsewhere “He who shall not be named”  Now I understand the reference...so thank you.

It looks like you had your hands full back in the day hmmm...I shall now replace said box lid slowly and carefully....

25 minutes ago, Adella said:

It looks like you had your hands full back in the day 

Yes, it seems we've had one controversial modder for each Elder Scrolls game.  Puma Man was the focal point of contention back in the Morrowind era, and Giskard was the focal point in the Oblivion era.  I suppose you could make the case that Tarshana is our controversial modder in the Skyrim era.  

25 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Yes, it seems we've had one controversial modder for each Elder Scrolls game.  Puma Man was the focal point of contention back in the Morrowind era, and Giskard was the focal point in the Oblivion era.  I suppose you could make the case that Tarshana is our controversial modder in the Skyrim era.  

I'll stand to Tarshana's defense. 

The "controversy" surrounding her is based in her honestly and accurately reporting the foibles in mods, and the problems they cause.  She routinely points at mods with ITM records, deleted navmesh, wild edits, and the lot.  Some mod creators are not mature enough to take constructive evaluations and react childishly.  As a result of their infantile attitudes, instead of fixing their mods, they set out to fix Tarshana.  

So Tarshana is controversial, but only because some have brewed up a tempest to hide their own ineptitude.

9 minutes ago, Old Salty Croc said:

only because some have brewed up a tempest to hide their own ineptitude.

Yes, it is easy for me to believe this is true.  She has always been extremely nice to me. During my first year as a moderator I let myself get sucked into one of those tempests you mention and was rebuked by Bethesda for it.  I don't even remember who was involved, or what it was about anymore.   

Ah, you see, there is a reason I replaced the box lid slowly and carefully....So as not to disturb the dust.

As soon as names are mentioned, clouds of dust go everywhere....It sticks to everyone and makes a mess.   If we leave the attic carefully it will settle and we can turn the light out hmmm.

2 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Actually, there are two other modders in the Morrowind modding community that created a drama of their own and the first one is Connary who was REALLY upset about the discussions of his mods, so he simply posted about it and left the modding community for good.  Although, later I heard that someone had seen him in the Spanish modding community due for being from Spain.

The other modder is silver_fox_rival who suddenly left GHF and I think later she also left BSF since the mods closed one thread per request.  I know she posted at least one thread on BSF, but finding it now is almost impossible due for relying on the WayBack Machine.

There are those who might argue that I'm much more controversial than she is for a variety of reasons :P

I think it's probably best we don't start naming a bunch of names. That way lies dragons.

I've just read the first post of this thread, it's all a fascinating read and also very informative for variety of reasons.  Some people, it seems, are simply incapable of participating in a critical debate because they can't imagine themselves being wrong.  It's partly how we learn, but then some people aren't interested in learning.  Calling it a debate is laughable, but then a lot of laughable things happen in the world.  It's pointless to repeat the same ideas already said, but maybe there is some value in it coming from somebody that has never been part of any Elder Scrolls community until 5 days ago, except two threads on bethesda forums where we discussed our play styles and builds.

My experience with modding is limited, but I've made a few simple Skyrim mods, every single one of which I've made first to use in my game.  What I can say is that even with a limited knowledge I've seen issues in mods, including some older very popular mods.  While most people might never encounter or notice, they exist nonetheless.  Once you start using more than one mod that use the same records having problems is almost a given.  It takes very little knowledge to understand this and I think this is probably the reason why some people that have spent thousands of hours of building mods or creating tools for making them care about having mods as clean and as polished as possible.  I can imagine how it is especially difficult when somebody is trying to prove that 2+2 is equal to 5.

In Creation Kit you have to be extremely careful with anything you touch.  It's very easy to make unwanted changes, and then not so easy to be able to see them.  Using SSEEdit/xEdit is almost a given for me, in the very least to check the changes that can be changed and edited in it, yet many people have not used it when making a lot of their mods.  This is many years later after such stories as Giskard's, but even then there is no problem there, people can use whatever tool they prefer.  The problem comes when they are unwilling to accept that their mod cannot be immune to be subjected to being modded itself even though that's actually the very nature of modding.  Yes, of course respecting the permission rules when applicable and most importantly being respectful of each other.  I think we should all strive towards perfection, why not, it only results in a few hundred or thousand of hours doing things that nobody will ever see :D, but at the same time why does it have to be so hard to accept that no matter how hard we try, we'll never get there...