Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

There also seem to be different levels of that "can't switch" error. I get it every once in a while too. Usually all I need to do is to shut down all my explorer windows, even if they aren't accessing the Oblivion directory. Sometimes that won't stop them, but rebooting does. After rebooting, I can switch instances again. Now I don't run Norton. Is there a setting in Norton that you can tell it to trust mTES4? It is too bad Gaticus left, although I'm not sure he was ever able to figure out what the issue was with this.

Personally, I'd blame Norton not mTES4 (whatever that is). I think Norton is evil and should be purged from all computers (and I immediately do remove it from any PC which comes with it preinstalled) - just replace it with freeware equivalents!

Indeed. Norton = Evil. Microsoft Security Essentials is actually a very good product, and best of all free :)

Sorry, I like my Norton. :) I'm not convinced that's the issue anyway. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Samson and I must now rise up as FISS trolls (free internet security software) and savagely flame Hanaisse until he is forced to retreat into his own private corner of the internet where trolls cannot reach him. From there, Hanaisse can spread the word to those who followed him of the pros of Norton and bemoan the cruelty of all the FISS trolls who invade his little corner daily - invasion tactics typically involving not doing anything and barely realising the corner exists. (feel free to replace all "his" he" and "him" references with "hers" "she" and "her" if gender was incorrectly applied)

In order for that to work, Hanaisse has to get a forum and post complaints about FISS trolls on a semi-regular basis. He must bemoan the injustices of the FISS community; while doing the things he's accusing others of doing. He must also use overly pretentious language while having really bad grammar and spelling (especially for an Englishman). He must have a fit every-time someone on his forum disagrees with him, and ban people that even suggest that he might be wrong. (Feel free to replace Englishman with Australian if appropriate.)

I'm staying out of the way of the gender mis-application. :)

I actually lol'd. Vorians, you're adorable. Can I adopt you as my pet troll? :lol:

[quote]Ah, thanks. Been using Bash as long as I've used all natural (thanks for making me use it BTW, don't know how I kept my game running without it before).[/quote] Said by a user in one of my comment threads. There is hope. Folks can see the light with enough prodding. :)

[quote](Feel free to replace Englishman with Australian if appropriate.) [/quote] feel free to replace all "his" he" and "him" and "hers" "she" and "her" to sheila and bloke and if you do know know which of those to use, a Hey You Cobba will suffice.

[quote]In order for that to work, Hanaisse has to get a forum and post complaints about FISS trolls on a semi-regular basis. He must bemoan the injustices of the FISS community; while doing the things he's accusing others of doing. He must also use overly pretentious language while having really bad grammar and spelling (especially for an Englishman). He must have a fit every-time someone on his forum disagrees with him, and ban people that even suggest that he might be wrong. [/quote] This sounds like me and Samson on a good day, you should see our work when it all goes wrong :)

I think I figured out where Giskard gets the idea that the TES forums are dead - if you go look at the ones at PES, they are in fact dead. Barely a post a month from the look of things. Stuff on the front page of the crappy forum setup going back over a year.

Well except he specifically states that its bethsoft forums that are dead, doesn't he? But anyway, coming to the conclusion that because the PES forums are dead the Bethsoft ones must be too hardly seems beyond him considering he's rational decision making ability.

I would think he would be well aware of the difference. He's banned on one, he's not banned on the other. It's just silly to say Oblivion forums are dead. There's hundreds of posts (if not thousands) on Nexus everyday. On TES, I guess it depends on what thread your looking at (I've been the last poster for 'basic hypothermia' for the last nine months; but better cities and all natural seem quite active).

Dallen: Largely depends on the scope and popularity of the mod. Basic Hypothermia is a very "niche market" mod, whereas Better Cities and All Natural are considered by many to be "must-haves."

• 3 weeks later...
Ooh he thinks he's talking [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/content.php?328-The-Trolls-get-Trolled-lol]about you[/url], Samson! I wonder who the second one is which he refers to.

Heh. You think? :P He only quoted me directly after all - despite being utterly dead wrong about the accusation he tied to it of course. Filefront, to their credit, knew Giskard was lying by accusing me of being the thief. Which was covered long ago already. The only other person who posted in the thread that he'd likely remember would be Dragoonwraith, and he's the only one I see there out of the rest of them who would have been qualified enough to "troll" him about being completely ignorant of how dirty his mods were. One might further note that unless you have an account on his precious little site, you can't see the comments. Should tell you something about how paranoid he is about the public seeing what his sycophants have to say. Half tempted to roll up an account just to be able to watch from the shadows :P

• 3 weeks later...
A fresh batch of ignorant misinformation has been [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/entry.php?164-Why-Oblivion-and-Fallout-Conflicts-are-good.]posted[/url] for people who don't understand enough to know that it's all wrong. [quote=Giskard] Want to know a secret, most of Bethesdas games use a conflict based modding system. That is right, everything works by conflicting. That secret is actually modding 101 because the whole system is based on it and mods exploit it to work.[/quote] If two mods conflict, then they aren't going to work together, unless one mod's conflict is intended to alter how the other mod works. [quote=Giskard] Unfortunately most people are told by less experienced players that conflicts are always wrong or always dirty have to be cleaned out of a mod. [/quote] Or more accurately, most people are told by more experienced players that conflicts will prevent mods working together, and that dirty edits have to be cleaned out of a mod. A conflicting record is NOT a dirty record, it is a conflicting record. Conflicting records should NOT be taken out of mods unless they are ALSO a dirty record. [quote=Giskard] That is why those who cleaned them without my permission and against my advice did such a bad job on them. Its why they messed up players saved games, they lacked the vision and expertese to see why those things where needed before removing them. And in removing them, they broke quests and harmed players saved games. [/quote] Well since nobody knows who he's talking about, I can't really comment on this. Other than Elminster's cleaned Kvatch Aftermath which was released with implicit permission from the licence of that mod, I have no idea who else has ever cleaned and uploaded Giskard's mods. If they didn't know what they were doing then yes it's quite possible they might have caused the results he describes. Since Elminster did know what he was doing, the cleaned version of Kvatch would not have caused the broken quests and harm described. [quote=Giskard] Kvatch Aftermath and The Elder Council both open the Council door, this way both allow access to Ocato even if the other mod is not installed and Ocato has lines assigned to them by other mods. Yet in the game, it does not look like 2 mods bolted on to the game that edit the same feature, it feels like 1 giant expansion to the official game. What is actually happening is there are several conflicts between those 2 mods that allow them to talk to each other and work together, that is just 1 of those conflicts. [/quote] Well if both mods are making the same edit to the same vanilla record, that's not a conflict is it? They're both doing the same thing and providing the same result, thus there is no conflict, they're overlapping neatly and complementing each other. Sounds like good modding tactics to me. [quote=Giskard] Another deliberately designed feature that is there to be conflicted with when I need too. Just adding him to the game world in TEC allows me to put him in the thrown room in The Elder Council esp. No other mod can use that room but because Titus is in CURP, I can point Origin of the mages guild at Titus and make it look like it is using the rooms added by TEC.[/quote] Well that's just not true. Any other mod can use that room, simply by making a mod dependent on the TEC ESP. But of course Giskard doesn't know how to make one ESP dependent on another ESP because that's witchcraft and must be shunned. [quote=Giskard] Conflicts are the keys to those doors and they enable those sort of features, without conflicts, Titus would have to wait outside if another mod wanted to use him. Ocato would be usable only by 1 mod and all the fancy features that come from those conflicts would not exist. [/quote] But they're not conflicts! It's the same edit in both mods, it's an overlap which complements both mods regardless of load order. [quote=Giskard] Its best to think of delibrate conflicts as hooks, things you can hand other mods on. [/quote] Oh all right, call it a hook then. Whatever. What Giskard calls a hook is not a conflict. Though if another mod also edited this "hook" in a manner which did not match the edits in the two matching mods, then that mod would conflict with those two mods, and last-loaded would win. Then you have a genuine conflict. But no worries, a patch could be created to combine the conflicting edits so that all related mods worked together nice and friendly. [quote=Giskard] To the mod cleaning world of patch makers and tool makers, what I have done is wrong and needs to be cleaned, but if you do that, you loose support for armour, weapons and spells from other mods such as OOO. Sure CUO wants control of some things, but it does not want everything, its perfectly happen to leave those hooks for other mods to exploit.[/quote] Well that's his opinion, but the actual people Giskard describes don't think that, only Giskard thinks they think that. Or at least Giskard claims to think they think that so as to antagonise and flame. [quote=Giskard] For example Merchant features added to Bruma conflict with CUO Merchants, do you remove one, can you even see the conflict ? Probably not, because not all conflicts are detectable and not all detectable conflicts are real conflicts. But because they exist you can work with the Merchants Guild in CUO Bruma and CUO it self and climb the ranks within the Merchants Guild in CUO from CUO Bruma. [/quote] Well then how can you describe that as a conflict? If the two separate mods are designed to entwine together to provide a seamless integration, yet can still be used separately, there's no conflict, is there? [quote=Giskard] Of course if we judge mods of those who often refer to conflicts as bad or dirty, you will quickly realise their mods conflict with everywhere and cannot work unless we remove edits from our mods. A bad design on their part, blamed on everybody else. [/quote] Er no. If two mods conflict, then both mods contain conflicting content. Not just the mods which weren't made by Giskard. No bad design on either part (referring here to genuine edits which are required for the mod, not the dirty edits which aren't required and cause needless conflicts - leaving these in is indeed bad design). Blamed on everybody else? That sounds a lot like Giskard, blaming everybody else. [quote=Giskard] That is the reality of the whole mod cleaning argument, its plain old mod bashing by people who make the dirtiest mods of all.[/quote] Precisely, thank you for noticing that. Please stop mod-bashing now Giskard. [quote=Giskard] Enlightenment is achieved for modders when they see a conflict accidentally recreate a brand new and very welcome feature. At that point, they see and understand why Conflicts are good and why they should be exploited by modders.[/quote] Enlightenment is achieved for modders when they get banned from Giskard's forums and are forced to venture into the real modding world, found on Bethesda, TES Nexus, TES Alliance. Once they step out from the isolation of The Engineering Guild and realise that the modders who actually work together are all someplace else. [quote=Giskard]I think my own mods prove what can be done when modders do exploit conflicts, the fact that nobody has matched my achievement is mostly down to everybody being told conflicts are bad and dirty[/quote] Well certainly nobody else I know has matched Giskard's blatant disregard for truth, knowledge, and proper modding anyway. [quote=Giskard] I rejected that argument, calling it short sighted and blazed my own path.[/quote] And in so-doing, burnt all your bridges behind you. [quote=Giskard] Today you can see the results, was I right ?[/quote] Let's recap...three or four modding teams burnt and torn apart due to interaction with Giskard. Two or three modding forums created and deleted for no reason by Giskard. Hundreds of false accusations flamed against other modders. Quit modding Oblivion forever at least twice (third time should be coming within the next couple of months). Banned from every reputable Oblivion modding site plus several other sites. Discussion of Giskard's mods closely scrutinised by moderators and often locked on Beth forums to prevent trouble.... yeah sure, Giskard was right. Right?

So let's see..... Giskard has discovered how to use interacting ESM files to get his mods to talk to each other. Except he doesn't even know how to describe the process properly, and doesn't realize that a lot of us have been doing this sort of thing for the last 3 years or so. What amazes me though is his uncanny ability to weave every personal discovery he makes into a huge rant about the horrible dangers of mod cleaning. Nevermind the fact that mod cleaning has zero to do with what he's even talking about because TES4Edit won't touch the records he's referring to. Folks, this is what deliberately isolating yourself from a huge pool of knowledge will do. You make a breakthrough and think "holy shit, look what I discovered" and then actually think you were the first one to figure it out. Sorry Giskard, I hate to break it to you, but this has been happening for a long time now. Oblivion modders do it, Fallout modders do it, and I'm fairly certain Skyrim modders will do it to. I wonder how he's going to weave his tale of the sabotage-modding method he uses where every vanilla item MUST be deleted and replaced with an exact copy of it's original self. Something which is highly disruptive to all other mods that may wish to use a location. Especially when said technique is being used to delete NPCs and replace them with duplicates. Vorians and I know the real reason he does shit like this but I'd LOVE to see him try to explain this to someone. Although I'm pretty sure he did in one of his previous iterations of his isolated community. That said, there are valid uses for such tactics when used responsibly. Like cloning copies of vanilla statics so that you can then safely uses scripts to toggle their enable states. This way if the user uninstalls your mod, your changes won't remain permanent in their game. The condition of the originals will simply revert back into place.

I believe his explanation for deleting and duplicating vanilla content intentionally, was to ensure other mods didn't conflict and break his mods. i.e. cripple the other mod but ensure his mod works alright - which is the same thing as ensuring compatibility without needing a patch, supposedly. Same concept as intentionally including ITM records in his mods, to ensure that what he wants is what others see regardless of other mods, and pushing the apparent source of the conflict out to a point beyond where people would realise it was due to his mod (i.e. land tears being a couple cells away from the cells he actually has reason to edit because he includes the vanilla land record for every cell touching the cells he actually edits, so any land tears end up right out on the edge and don't appear to be related to his mod at all).

My brain just died a little inside from reading that article. Thank you for saving me from becoming so much dumber, Vorians. That dreck was beyond unintelligent, but I'm pretty sure everyone here is already well aware of that. Let's hope Giskard's next eternal departure comes soon. [s]Maybe we could spur it on by assaulting his site?[/s]... No, that would just be playing into his hands.