Technical Question regarding Arthmoor and 60 FPS

Grumpy3D

I hope thats the right forum for this. Arthmoor wrote in 2016 on the steam forum the following statement:

Strictly speaking, the game is tuned to run at 30fps. It can go to 60 only because that's a convenient multiple of 30 and Vsync options are happy to oblige it. Havok will tell you to die in a fire if you push for 90 though.

Source

The Question I have, what's the technical explanation for this? Or in other words why is 60FPS a convenient multiple of 30 but not 90 or 120?

I asked here because I dont want to necro old threads on steam and all explanations on that matter were "because Arthmoor said so" - which is not a satisfactory answer in any way to understand a given problem :(

The main reason for that is because Skyrim, like all of their games prior to Fallout 4, has a symbiotic relationship with the timings in the Havok physics module. The engine is tuned for 30fps due to console considerations - and this hasn't changed just because XB1 and PS4 can handle better. They didn't tweak this until FO4 hit and the engine code for it wasn't backported to SSE. 60fps works on PC because of being a perfect multiple of 30 so everything is still synchronized. The reason 90 won't work is because the physics will go nuts past 60 and cause all manner of bugs to occur, such as objects bouncing around a room just because you walked in. NPCs can often be found in the T-pose position, and combat gets a little weird too. I'm sure I'm not explaining this as well as it could be, but that's basically the issue. Anything over 60fps screws up the physics system.

Sorry for adding another question but I cant stop thinking about it. :|

Do I understand it right, that the dangers of past 60 FPS lie in reality in the reduced frame time and therefore less time for the engine to do their stuff because everything is kinda linked to frame time? Because physics can somewhat "fixed" with the havok timings as I understand it.

No, but it will make interacting with the game a whole lot less fun when everything is going crazy around you.