Reference Alias: Forced Reference working, Find Matching Reference is not

XJDHDR

After reading about a bug in Skyrim that can cause references to become persistent if placed into a Forced Reference Alias, I'm trying to convert such an Alias in my mod into a Conditional Alias.

I am having a problem however. These are what my Alias' settings currently look like and they work:

Spoiler

NF4lqxP.png

This is what I want to change the Alias' settings to and this config isn't working:

Spoiler

Mhwmi2f.png

Can anyone please help me get this to work? Alternatively, is it not possible to make this work and I have to use a Forced Reference?

On a side note, I know that the Player Character is already a persistent reference but I would like to get into the habit of not using forced references and figure out what I've done wrong here.

Use the Unique Actor alias instead. This usually works best if you need a specific actor to fill with. The actor does need to have the Unique flag checked, but the Player does.

You should keep in mind though that regardless of how you capture the actor in the alias, while they're in it they are persistent until they get removed from it.

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Use the Unique Actor alias instead. This usually works best if you need a specific actor to fill with. The actor does need to have the Unique flag checked, but the Player does.

You should keep in mind though that regardless of how you capture the actor in the alias, while they're in it they are persistent until they get removed from it.

Thanks Arthmoor, that worked perfectly. I had to use TES5Edit to make that change though because my mod is a masterless plugin. This meant I had to rely on the hardcoded Player reference, which isn't flagged as a Unique Actor. Thus, the Creation Kit would not let me select any Unique Actors.

I should have explained it better but I am aware that a reference will be persistent while it is filling an Alias. My concern is the quirk where a Forced Reference Alias will cause a reference to remain persistent even when it is not filling that Alias.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, XJDHDR said:

I should have explained it better but I am aware that a reference will be persistent while it is filling an Alias. My concern is the quirk where a Forced Reference Alias will cause a reference to remain persistent even when it is not filling that Alias.

Is this true?? I thought that once the Forced ObjRef was taken out of the alias, it would return to being non-persistent.

It retains a persistent reference flag in the .esp data but that doesn't have the same meaning in Skyrim as it did in games prior to that. You'll want to look this over for the details:

1 hour ago, Shivzz0119 said:

Is this true?? I thought that once the Forced ObjRef was taken out of the alias, it would return to being non-persistent.

I got that info from this post that Arthmoor made:

Objects pointed to in forced reference aliases for quests. These are not supposed to become permanently persistent, but more often than not that's exactly what happens. 

9 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

It retains a persistent reference flag in the .esp data but that doesn't have the same meaning in Skyrim as it did in games prior to that. You'll want to look this over for the details:

So it will have a persistent reference flag but it won't actually BE persistent because Skyrim doesn't work like the games before it. In the link above you said:

When a reference is assigned in a quest alias, that reference becomes globally persistent for as long as that quest is running. While the CK Wiki makes a distinction between "Forced Reference" and other types of aliases, experience has shown that all reference aliases are treated the same way. While the quest is off, you can relocate positions on these references at will. 

9 hours ago, XJDHDR said:

I got that info from this post that Arthmoor made:

So by raising the persistence flag its therefore baked permanently into a save?

No. You need to read that post more carefully as it explains the various levels of persistence the game has.